E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum.

I took delivery of a 523i 2 weeks ago and find it generally better than my E39, except for the ride :thumbsdown: I was going to get a 525i for the extra power but decided against it when I found out that the price differece is about S$40k! Anyway I prefer a car without Active Steer and I don't need GPS and Active Lights, which were the main equipment differences. Of course there is also a matter of about 40hp!

My questions is: Has anyone modified the ECU of their car yet? Afterall, the engines are the same in the 523i and 525i and it is only the ECU that is making the difference. I bought my car with this mod in mind and would like to hear from anyone that has done this! I am ready to unleash the 'hidden' power. Apparently 225-230hp is available with this mod
Old 11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='199349' date='Nov 17 2005, 01:33 PM
I am new to this forum.

I took delivery of a 523i 2 weeks ago and find it generally better than my E39, except for the ride :thumbsdown: I was going to get a 525i for the extra power but decided against it when I found out that the price differece is about S$40k! Anyway I prefer a car without Active Steer and I don't need GPS and Active Lights, which were the main equipment differences. Of course there is also a matter of about 40hp!

My questions is: Has anyone modified the ECU of their car yet? Afterall, the engines are the same in the 523i and 525i and it is only the ECU that is making the difference. I bought my car with this mod in mind and would like to hear from anyone that has done this! I am ready to unleash the 'hidden' power. Apparently 225-230hp is available with this mod
Just curious, won't mods to ECU void PML's 3-yr warranty?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='199383' date='Nov 17 2005, 04:14 PM
mods to ECU
This phrase is taboo. Not to be used in the forum. You can ask the guys this question during meet-ups but not here.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:35 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Yippie!
Welcome to all new sg forumers! Great to see new nicks and all!
Regarding ECU remap.. not sure DMS has programs for the new engine yet... perhaps writing to Rob will help. Rob is scheduled to be in town supposedly sometime this month but so far no comfirmation yet the last time he wrote.
Wil drop him a note again. Show of hands (PM of course) on those who are waiting for Rob!? May be with confirm crowds waiting for him, he will prioritise this region asap.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='199349' date='Nov 17 2005, 01:33 PM
I am new to this forum.

Hi kopi_o, was in the same boat as you and also went for the 523i. Actually, my SA was very determined to steer me away from the 525. My understanding is that the bhp and torque difference between the 523 and 525 is not based just on the ECU. There are mechanical differences especially with respect to the intake manifold so there is no way to bring up the power to 525 standard based on the ECU alone.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

ECU REMAP - The following is just my opinion; my 2 cents worth. It is not meant to retort anyone in this forum, please.

I know there are a few of us here in the forum who have done the remap and some who are thinking of it. I personally was contemplating on this a couple of months back, but held back as I still have some "engine" issues to settle with PML. In the meantime, I took a step back, thought to myself and began asking questions and have come to the following conclusions.

Firstly, those of us who have done the remap (and I am sure are benefitting from it) drive E60s which are already more than halfway past the warranty period. These cars would have had their little engine and other problems sorted out by PML or BMW Asia by now. Therefore, the risk that the owners of these cars take are quite minimal as their rides would have stabalised by now.

Secondly, it is known that BMW will go online quite soon. I understand from an ex-trainer that this essentially means that BMW in Germany will have access to all info on our rides the moment the car is diagnosed by their computers. BMW is very strict about "illegal" modifications and will not hesitate to void the warranty.

Whether or not anyone goes for the remap is a matter of personal choice. However, I would advise those with brand new cars and those whose cars are still haunted by some issues which are yet to be ironed out to please consider very carefully before jumping onto the bandwagon.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

With the level of technology involve in the E60, I wouldn't touch anything (except the rim) when the car is still under warranty. After that do whatever you want they don't give a f#$% ! Heck I don't even take my car back to BMW once the warranty expires.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Members

I agree that it is risky for a new car which is why I was asking for opinions. However I am still keen enough to explore this further.

With regards to PML finding the mods, I have been told that the original maps/program can be reloaded prior to a visit to PML. If only Singapore's warranty policy was like the US. Apparently there is a law there that prohibits BMW from terminating the warranty if you do a mod. BMW still has to honour the warranty if something goes wrong and do the necessary repairs. BMW will then have to make a claim against the company who did the mod

DMS does not have a mod yet but there are others who have. They claim at least the same, if not more power than a 525i!! If I do go ahead I would like to do a dyno before and after just to see the changes!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='199856' date='Nov 18 2005, 12:40 PM
With regards to PML finding the mods, I have been told that the original maps/program can be reloaded prior to a visit to PML. If only Singapore's warranty policy was like the US. Apparently there is a law there that prohibits BMW from terminating the warranty if you do a mod. BMW still has to honour the warranty if something goes wrong and do the necessary repairs. BMW will then have to make a claim against the company who did the mod
Unfortunately we're talking about DMS here. They will send a guy to Singapore to remap your ride. He will then fly back again. Do you think they'd be able to react in time and reload your program when and if you require it? Don't forget, they are based in the UK. There are others in Singapore who can do the remap; people like J4C. They can keep your original for you and reload when required. However, can they do so in time should your ride breakdown in the night and is required to be towed back for repairs? Just being the advocate here.

We live in Singapore; plain and simple. The laws here are currently not protecting consumers like ourselves and we've got to accept that. Take the Hire Purchase act for example; when are we going to finally be free of that rule that penalises those who full settle prior to the maturity of the loan? I am sure there are many other issues to be settled before they finally come up with one that prohibits car agents from terminating warranties.

Okay, I've spent enough time on this matter already. Better let the matter rest lest I start to create a divide here. Again, I stress; all of the above are just my opinions only and not meant as an indirect or direct tool of retort.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

anyone who wants to know about ecu or other mods..come to the bmw-sg forum meetup on the last sunday every month at carpark next to kallang macdonalds...430pm. i will be happy to share with u what i know....

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans