E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by totoseow' date='Jun 14 2005, 05:05 PM
speaking about pml...i know someone oredered the 166M wheels. when i called...they claimed no such model.? i give up.
[snapback]139519[/snapback]
Why do you ask? Are you actually thinking of a purely cosmetic mod?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 6spdMan' date='Jun 16 2005, 04:07 AM
[quote name='totoseow' date='Jun 14 2005, 05:05 PM']speaking about pml...i know someone oredered the 166M wheels. when i called...they claimed no such model.? i give up.
[snapback]139519[/snapback]
Why do you ask? Are you actually thinking of a purely cosmetic mod?
[snapback]140040[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speaking of 166M rims, mine have just arrived.

Anyone keen on my ACS 19 inch rims & tyres pls pm me.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zag' date='Jun 16 2005, 12:22 AM
by the way any goodies to get to take advantage of june 25% accessory promotion?
[snapback]139983[/snapback]
Skip the parts department. The new receptionists at both Alexandra and East Coasts are worth a second (maybe even third) look.

BTW, I got my ride back today. My valve clearance is apparently too wide, therefore causing the engine vibrations, high consumption, etc. All they needed to do was adjust this thru the computer plugged into my car.

The ride home was much more comfy today and there was no noticable vibrations during idling at traffic lights. Consumption seems to have improved, but I will only know after the next 500Km or so.

My worry is still the valve lever which was touted by BMW as the problem in some document issued earlier this year. If it is, then the adjustment, although good for now, may not help after the next few hundred Km. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:03 PM
[quote name='zag' date='Jun 16 2005, 12:22 AM']by the way any goodies to get to take advantage of june 25% accessory promotion?
[snapback]139983[/snapback]
Skip the parts department. The new receptionists at both Alexandra and East Coasts are worth a second (maybe even third) look.
[snapback]140097[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow, 545 owners must have received spessssiaaaalll treatment huh?

Still wondering if I should get the SMG sports steering wheel ....
Old 06-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Jun 16 2005, 01:39 AM
[quote name='russo' date='Jun 15 2005, 03:55 PM'][quote name='BMW530' date='Jun 15 2005, 07:42 PM'][quote name='eggz' date='Jun 15 2005, 10:46 AM'][quote name='Kiasu King Kong' date='Jun 15 2005, 03:30 AM']Not sure if PML has it but available in Europe and US now.
Just spoke to the CSA, they gots v17 already
[snapback]139638[/snapback]
[/quote]

eggz,

Are you sure you want version 17? They stop the LED eyebrows from working.
[snapback]139669[/snapback]
[/quote]

What do you mean? It doesn't come on when the headlamps are switched on?
[snapback]139712[/snapback]
[/quote]

russo,
That's correct. You may have read in this forum that some US and UK drivers who just had a software upgrade to 16/17 have found out their Orange eyebrow LED's don't work anymore when lights are on.
[snapback]139996[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yepp, V17.1 stopped the LEDs.

I was at PML in the afternoon and when I told the senior tech guy, he seemed bemused and a little amazed in disbelieve. It was only after he hopped into a 525 that has just been upgraded to V17.1 that he realised that the "eyebrow" did not work - still not believing, he walked to another (520) in the washing bay and the "eyebrow" did not work either!

Thereafter, he instructed all his kakis to look out for this strange phenomenon!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:26 AM
Yepp, V17.1 stopped the LEDs.?

I was at PML in the afternoon and when I told the senior tech guy, he seemed bemused and a little amazed in disbelieve.? It was only after he hopped into a 525 that has just been upgraded to V17.1 that he realised that the "eyebrow" did not work - still not believing, he walked to another (520) in the washing bay and the "eyebrow" did not work either!

Thereafter, he instructed all his kakis to look out for this strange phenomenon!
[snapback]140145[/snapback]
Can this be on purpose? Afterall, they do look like indicators.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Jun 17 2005, 03:53 AM
Can this be on purpose? Afterall, they do look like indicators.
[snapback]140319[/snapback]
Only way to find out is to turn on the indicators. If they work, then it seems BMW have now changed the use of the eyebrows.

However, I really wouldn't want that change. It distinguishes the E60 from all other cars on the road; even the other BMWs. It's one of the many reasons why people buy the E60.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Senior Members

Russo, I've got you another prospective kaki for the trip up north; a 645i. According to Grick, he's really keen on the company and a chance to burn carbon.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Jun 15 2005, 04:58 PM
[quote name='totoseow' date='Jun 14 2005, 10:32 PM']big brand cars as a whole are exported all over the world.? to fussy countries like singapore, japan us of a...n to less developed places where people service their cars as and when they want.? heck there probably is only 1 dealer in south africa or shanghai or timbaktu...n the petrol there are considered good if u get 92 octane.
my point is...its a fact that cars r de-tuned to keep them lasting in any country...any climate.? for places like singapore...with good roads, easily available servicing, we can afford to liberate the engine without harming it.? sure something will give if u push too hard.? be it a car or ur overworked pc, fone..watever.? I disagree that liberating ur cars engine will mean that its gonna crap out sooner than the stock ECU...considering that we change oil every 10,000km...we hv more than 98 octane gas. so guys, loosen up...ur car is more well made than u think.

as for pml discovering the mod....no problems there.? ur program will be put back FOC if discovered.? u hv to understand how this work.? the ecu has many functions...besides ur engine.? think of it as a cupboard with many compartments.? the area that controls ur engine is just one of the drawers.? the drawer is not changed.? the differen values hv just been optimised at different rpm ranges.? when ur car gets recall for alternator problems...lock problems..power window problems...pml does not touch the engine mapping.? ur software upgrade does not modify the values of how ur engine is run across the rev range.? According to Rob...he has only known 2 cars that BMW has changed a complete ECU.? thats the E46 M3 n the 7s.? wotever reprogramming he does is his trade secret.? He warranties agst defects of any sorts from his tuning.? As well, i am not here to start an argument on which is better.? Those who have done it, will probably swear by it.? Bear in mind this is different from reflashing ur ECU which is what HIOP does.? I have said a lot about what is actually done.? Perhaps those who are skeptical shud re-read what I wrote.? I have mod my cars many times over...and I am selective over what I do.? None of my cars ever ran into problems.? U do pay a premium over piggybacks n reflashed ECU...again u need to know why.? As far as I know..what DMS does is totally different from what u may perceive.? Give him a call and understand it better.

I am very happy so far and I will say the same for the other 3 who has done it without needing to verify.? Its a different car we have now.
[snapback]139349[/snapback]
Well said Toto. PML is just insulting its own intelligent if any mulfunction to the car is solely blamed on the remapping.

And put it this way, BMW is not car god, even though it designs and produces the engines. There bound to be some smart Alexes out there smarter than BMW's in-house engineers that could squeeze more juices out of the same box. And I think Rob is one of those.
[snapback]139715[/snapback]
[/quote]

Toto,
FYI:
South Africa has several hundred BMW dealerships & is a big market for BMW's!

Also the BMW Rosslyn plant in Pretoria South Africa is one of the top vehicle production plants in the world & exports to most of the right hand drive markets worldwide.

Please do not generalise about countries of which you have no knowlege.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jun 17 2005, 05:56 AM
Only way to find out is to turn on the indicators.? If they work, then it seems BMW have now changed the use of the eyebrows.

However, I really wouldn't want that change.? It distinguishes the E60 from all other cars on the road; even the other BMWs.? It's one of the many reasons why people buy the E60.
[snapback]140332[/snapback]
Was just thinking if this violated any country's code, just to give them the benefit of the doubt. Afterall, if you told me they had this bug, well...

I personally like this feature. Now I will hold back updating my software until this clears up ...

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans