E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, new owner !
Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Firstly, driving at low speeds eg. in a multistorey carpark to be quite a drag. The engine gets quite loud and jerky. I get the impression that the auto-gear is not changing quite fast enough at low speeds. The steering for the 520i seems quite jittery especially when I am attempting reverse parking. Is this an inherent problem or is it the software ? I read on the earlier pages of your forum that the fault could lie with the run-flat tyres. Anything to look out for if I want to change tyres ?
[snapback]93016[/snapback]
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum

Some of the reasons your engine is loud and jerky is because at low engine temperatures the engine will try to stay in lower gears longer to get to the optimum operating temperatures as soon as possible to achive lower exhaust emmissions and performance. Something newer engines have to do to comply with the EU emmissions.

Also, give the car some time to adapt to your driving habits. As the gear box is 'learning' how you drive the car, it'll adjust accordingly. For example if your wife is a gentle driver and took the car for few days, after you take over, you'll find the car a bit sluggish as the 'software' has adapted to her driving style.

Runflats do affect the car's handling, but not so when doing parking. Probably due to the surface of your office's or house's tarmac. If you are doing it on normal road surfaces, it should feel ok.

Replacing to normal tyres is what most people do as runflats are quite costly, about 500 bucks per piece for 17 inch. Life span is about 30k to 45k depending on usage. Most bimmers replace those to Michelin or Continental tyres. They do give you the feel of the steering and better fuel economy as they are lighter. However if you were to drive up north, better to bring a spare along. Don't want any junkies to come and tow your car.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 520i, titanium silver, Jan 2005, Vicool Premier Package

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:42 AM
Firstly, driving at low speeds eg. in a multistorey carpark to be quite a drag. The engine gets quite loud and jerky. I get the impression that the auto-gear is not changing quite fast enough at low speeds. The steering for the 520i seems quite jittery especially when I am attempting reverse parking. Is this an inherent problem or is it the software ? I read on the earlier pages of your forum that the fault could lie with the run-flat tyres. Anything to look out for if I want to change tyres ?
Welcome to the forum

Some of the reasons your engine is loud and jerky is because at low engine temperatures the engine will try to stay in lower gears longer to get to the optimum operating temperatures as soon as possible to achive lower exhaust emmissions and performance. Something newer engines have to do to comply with the EU emmissions.

Also, give the car some time to adapt to your driving habits. As the gear box is 'learning' how you drive the car, it'll adjust accordingly. For example if your wife is a gentle driver and took the car for few days, after you take over, you'll find the car a bit sluggish as the 'software' has adapted to her driving style.

Runflats do affect the car's handling, but not so when doing parking. Probably due to the surface of your office's or house's tarmac. If you are doing it on normal road surfaces, it should feel ok.

Replacing to normal tyres is what most people do as runflats are quite costly, about 500 bucks per piece for 17 inch. Life span is about 30k to 45k depending on usage. Most bimmers replace those to Michelin or Continental tyres. They do give you the feel of the steering and better fuel economy as they are lighter. However if you were to drive up north, better to bring a spare along. Don't want any junkies to come and tow your car.
[snapback]93020[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give the car more time to get used to me.

I enjoy driving up north to KL and do it at least once a month. I have not encountered any problems so far (touch wood !) but have heard plenty of horror stories. I will drive noth again once I have reached 2000 km milage.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by new owner' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:23 AM
The steering for the 520i seems quite jittery especially when I am attempting reverse parking.? Is this an inherent problem or is it the software ?? I read on the earlier pages of your forum that the fault could lie with the run-flat tyres.? Anything to look out for if I want to change tyres ?
Its the Active Steering, don't turn too much and you will be fine.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by new owner' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:23 AM
[quote name='Edlee' date='Feb 21 2005, 05:52 PM']Hi New Owner.? Why not register yourself in this forum.? I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here.
[snapback]92745[/snapback]
However, I find the car quite different from the 3 series and miss the 3 already.

[/quote]

Hi welcome!
Used to drive e46 320i for a while, i can tell you for sure the e60 kept me smiling ear to ear everytime i got into it. Didn't miss the 3 at all.

Folks, i posted on the other threads that i changed tyres after a rude shock finding my rear ones are badly and dangerously worn out.
I have the PZero rosso, even though quieter and Man! they stick like glue and i can't get them to chirp anymore.

I missed the crispier and more direct steering feel of the runflats. So before you decide to dump the runflats, think again unless you are going to lower profile 19" setup with regular tyres.

it is funny that now without runflats, the engine roar is predominatnt and the dash vibration noise is gone as excitation freq has shifted out the dash board resonance freq.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Members

Zag, I am also on the Rosso. Seems okay for me although in my opinion, the PS2 which I had for a week offered me a more assured ride.

New Owner, I have both the E46 320 and the E60. The rides in the two are really different. However, I really enjoy the E46 if I want to go for a quick ride, break all rules type of drive. I find it too cramp for everyday driving though. The E60 is a different animal altogether. Its got response, comfort and if you're just feeling a little too bored whilst driving during a hot sunny afternoon, just stamp on the excelerator and it becomes a MONSTER!! Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:55 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Feb 22 2005, 03:25 PM
Zag, I am also on the Rosso.? Seems okay for me although in my opinion, the PS2 which I had for a week offered me a more assured ride.

[snapback]93064[/snapback]
Hm, seems tategoi and you also have been on rosso. I ended up with them by chance. How did you ended up with them? Was it recommended by tyre shop?
They are quiet for sure, but i do have to get used to the high frequency whine when they are on the rough tarmac. They are a bit soft too be sporty. I guess it a win some loose some situation.
I will see how they go after the scrub in period.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Very sorry Zag. Case of mistaken tyres. I am on Zero Nero. Got them because they were the only model with the config that I required.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Guest_Kiasu King_*

My idrive screen blacked out today. First time it happened since I got the car 13 months ago. Any one have similar experience? Will take it to PML and have it repaired together with the first engine oil change.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zag' date='Feb 22 2005, 07:55 PM
Hm, seems tategoi and you also have been on rosso. I ended up with them by chance. How did you ended up with them? Was it recommended by tyre shop?
They are quiet for sure, but i do have to get used to the high frequency whine when they are on the rough tarmac. They are a bit soft too be sporty. I guess it a win some loose some situation.
I will see how they go after the scrub in period.
[snapback]93100[/snapback]
It is hard for me to comment as Rosso is my first tyre on the E60. I don't find it quiet, as compared to the 205/55/16 Yoko AspecDB on my porevious ride. It is not a fair comparison, the wider tyre on the 18" would definitely be noisier, but I thought BMW sound insulation should counter that. There were only two available for the 245/40/18 then, the Rosso and Eagle F1, and I chose the Rosso because its Italian. My next set would be Michelin Pilot Sports 2.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans