DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys iv been searching on ebay and found this item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...E:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Would this even work? it says its for the e60...

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

ok guys need some help. I have installed and had coded my module. Coding went without a hitch on my '04. But Now only one Ipod works with it, my nano. I also have an 80 gig 5th gen classic that does not work. both have the latest updates from Apple. Does my big one just not work with the adaptor? What is the largest ipod that ya'll have that works with your adaptor. Thanks

Jay8s
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributors

someone sold you an old interface. There are the brand new interfaces out and then there's the old ones that don't support 5th gen ipods.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Ok, so what is the biggest that the old unit will take? I have searched the internet and cannot find anything about the old one.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ironb
I recently purchased a Dension ipod kit. I took to dealership in Bloomfield, NJ to have the I drive software updated. They refused to do the upgrade since the Dension ipod kit was aftermarket. They mentioned in the past they have had bad experiences doing this. Is there any dealership in Northern NJ that has performed the update for anyone on this forum?
BMW actually can and will deny you service for installing aftermarket products. That's why it's best to go with OEM parts
Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Members

Wow... read through 20 pages of this thread before my eyes glassed over and I started drooling a bit.

I have an '06 530i with Satnav, MP3 enabled (plays fine through the dash CD player), no CDC (but prewired for it).
So from reading this thread I've determined (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I don't need the MP3 software update, but I do need to have the CDC enabled.

I already bought the kit (Garry from BMW Newport said it's the one that will work with my car), tried installing it just to see if I was lucky, and it didn't work. I know it's wired correctly because I had the fiber going the wrong way at first and the car threw an error that the SOS was out.

My dealer quoted me $918 for the kit and installation (ha!) and said that the software update could take up to 10 hours so I better plan on leaving my car there all day. My SA says that the updates can fail and they have to start all over again.

So I have three questions:
1. When I take the car in to get the iPod adapter working should I have it already plugged in, or do I need to leave it out and install it after the update?
2. If I already have the MP3 option, is the CDC update really going to take that long? Is my SA just trying to justify the $500 in labor they want to charge me?
3. I can't get the MP3 service bulletin done because I already have MP3 capabilities and my car is out of warranty, right?

Thanks- Marc
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Members

hey guys i have a 2006 525i with no nav and no cd changer but it did have the "loop" with the fober optics and the a plug with 2 wires (brown and red)with no fiber optics inside. i got the ipod retrofit kit from a dealer in the southbay. it came with a retrofit kit that has the fiber optics connections and a bunch of splice kits and other little plastic things... anyone have any experience with this? what wires do i splice?

i will post pictures if that would help...Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Daniel
Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ikazuchi
Wow... read through 20 pages of this thread before my eyes glassed over and I started drooling a bit.

I have an '06 530i with Satnav, MP3 enabled (plays fine through the dash CD player), no CDC (but prewired for it).
So from reading this thread I've determined (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I don't need the MP3 software update, but I do need to have the CDC enabled.

I already bought the kit (Garry from BMW Newport said it's the one that will work with my car), tried installing it just to see if I was lucky, and it didn't work. I know it's wired correctly because I had the fiber going the wrong way at first and the car threw an error that the SOS was out.

My dealer quoted me $918 for the kit and installation (ha!) and said that the software update could take up to 10 hours so I better plan on leaving my car there all day. My SA says that the updates can fail and they have to start all over again.

So I have three questions:
1. When I take the car in to get the iPod adapter working should I have it already plugged in, or do I need to leave it out and install it after the update?
2. If I already have the MP3 option, is the CDC update really going to take that long? Is my SA just trying to justify the $500 in labor they want to charge me?
3. I can't get the MP3 service bulletin done because I already have MP3 capabilities and my car is out of warranty, right?

Thanks- Marc
At this point you are at the mercy of the dealer. however, once the ipod is installed generally they charge around 200-300 for coding not more.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dimo
hey guys i have a 2006 525i with no nav and no cd changer but it did have the "loop" with the fober optics and the a plug with 2 wires (brown and red)with no fiber optics inside. i got the ipod retrofit kit from a dealer in the southbay. it came with a retrofit kit that has the fiber optics connections and a bunch of splice kits and other little plastic things... anyone have any experience with this? what wires do i splice?

i will post pictures if that would help...Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Daniel
Please read through the thread and it will explain step by step what to d
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Members

I just finished installing my inteface and even managed to run the lead into the ashtray and fitted a mounting plate with a Scorche charging stand. Very happy and saved myself the $180 for the ashtray fitting kit.

I just need to touch in the paint on the centre console I managed to chip when fitting. iPod interface installation DIY-snc12400.jpg

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY