DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikazuchi
So I have three questions:
1. When I take the car in to get the iPod adapter working should I have it already plugged in, or do I need to leave it out and install it after the update?
2. If I already have the MP3 option, is the CDC update really going to take that long? Is my SA just trying to justify the $500 in labor they want to charge me?

So I'm still really in need of an answer to the above questions.

Also, my dealer just told me that part of the install includes them tearing apart the dash to get to the back of the radio. I'm pretty sure that's a load of BS as everybody here said it's a simple plug-in (I have the wiring for the CD already) and I just need the software update.

Please help! Especially on the first question so I can finally get this thing installed!
Thanks- Marc
Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

If you install it they whould only charge you to code your car. if not installed by you they will charge you to do it, most likely a bunch, even though it is pretty much plug and play. If you ahve the cd changer then it is most defeniantly something you can do at home. .... unplug cdp, plug in ipod.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Members

Hey sorry if someone asked this already, can this be done as easy in the 5 series E61?

I want to eliminate the CD changer and put my ipod in already.. But I don't want to pay the crazy dealer fee for installation.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Just a word of caution here from someone who read all these ipod kit threads and installed my OEM kit.

I pulled out the 6 CD changer and plugged in the OEM ipod kit. It went straight in and was very easy to connect due to the same MOST bus connector on the back.

I checked beforehand that my car was coded for MP3?s by burning some to CD and playing in both the CD changer and the slot for the satnav disk.

Anyway, the ipod kit didn?t work. My Ipod shows the BMW logo on screen, but the car (idrve) can?t see the ipod. I even tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if this forced the car to recognise the Ipod kit. It didn?t !!

So here I am $200 lighter with a Ipod kit installed that doesn?t work and the prospect of a software flash update for more dollars from the SA.

My guidance ? get the SA to supply and fit the whole thing, it?s cheaper, less hassle and it will work.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Sorry to hear that bud.

Before making such statements however, you should consider the following:
There have been PLENTY of people who followed the DIY and had great success! You need NAV and a CDC + mp3 enabled and then it is plug n play without the need to code anything. I did my vehicle this way as did many others. Not sure why yours didn't work. In terms of letting the SA install the iPod... They will charge you anywhere from 200-300$ just to install the interface which takes about 15min if you do it at home so it is NOT cheaper if you have them do it because they will charge you coding seperate anyway.

Best bet is to see if it'll work and if not then at least it's installed already and can be coded.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ikazuchi
So I'm still really in need of an answer to the above questions.

Also, my dealer just told me that part of the install includes them tearing apart the dash to get to the back of the radio. I'm pretty sure that's a load of BS as everybody here said it's a simple plug-in (I have the wiring for the CD already) and I just need the software update.

Please help! Especially on the first question so I can finally get this thing installed!
Thanks- Marc
That is correct. They do not need to tear appart the dash in any way. Just fit the interface yourself and then bring it to the SA for coding The only time they would need to remove the dash is when there is no CD-Changer pre-wiring in the vehicle, which i have yet to come across actually.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Yep my car had Nav+CDC+MP3, it's a 2008 model, so pretty new sofware, still didn't work on the plug-and-play. Tried different Ipods, pulling battery etc.

Like I said, Ipod see's the car, the car doesn't see the ipod. Combination of the cost of the Ipod kit + SA coding is more expensive than SA fitting+coding as they will often combine cost of the two items and reduce the overall cost by $100-200.

Maybe I have a faulty Ipod kit, difficult to know !
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, time for my take on this now

I have a 05 E61 with no CDC wiring. I have bluetooth and Professional navi.

I have the retrofit kit including a set of wiring that was in the same box as the interface. It has a green connector, two wires with terminals, as well as two optical wires and the interface connector.

I also got the 61136931507 part to finalise the optical loop.

But also got another piece of wire which I do not understand where I need. (not after reading the original assembly instruction from BMW either). Its part number is 61110432576

According to BMWFANS it does not look like I need it, am I right?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norwegianE61
Hi, time for my take on this now

I have a 05 E61 with no CDC wiring. I have bluetooth and Professional navi.

I have the retrofit kit including a set of wiring that was in the same box as the interface. It has a green connector, two wires with terminals, as well as two optical wires and the interface connector.

I also got the 61136931507 part to finalise the optical loop.

But also got another piece of wire which I do not understand where I need. (not after reading the original assembly instruction from BMW either). Its part number is 61110432576

According to BMWFANS it does not look like I need it, am I right?
Really, I would be careful with a self-install. While it works for some poeple, in my case it did not. I had a long conversation with my BMW service agent today, who kindly put the car on test to check why Ipod kit was not working, despite car being able to play MP3 and no complex wiring, I just plugged in MOST bus connector. In my case car needs coding to ipod kit at cost of $200 (one-hour labor charge). He said Ipod kit self install would not work because car is coded to look for a CD player (in my case) and won;t work if it does not find it. I even have to refit the CD changer before the car can be coded again. Anyway, like I said some people have successful self-installs so you might be lucky, but it's lots of Dollars for something that might or might not work.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I was prepared for coding and I think everyone that buy the retrofit kit should be really from reading this post.

I have a fairly "rare" case where I had no CD changer, and also was lacking the wiring for it. So I needed to open the dash and run wires from the CCC. I of course need coding now, as my car is not prepared for MP3, nor is it used to having anything where the interface now is connected. I still get the BMW logo in the display on the IPOD, and it charges, but of course I can not play music as I do not have the option in the IDrive.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY