DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should not have to take the interface out for any updates. i never did and any updates worked just fine!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Members

Ok I have an aux port in the rear and my car can play MP3. What do I need to get the Ipod working? Does anything have to be recoded? Thanks I have a 07 530i Btw
Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Contributors

A lot of the same questions... read the thread

If you have NAV, you can play mp3 and have a CD-Changer it's plug n play and you only need to get the interface.

If you can't play mp3 but have NAV and a CD-Changer you need to get that coded, which is free if you are still under warranty. (Check the bulleting here:http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/...mw-ipodint.htm)

If you don't have NAV or a CD-Changer you need coding.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog
A lot of the same questions... read the thread

If you have NAV, you can play mp3 and have a CD-Changer it's plug n play and you only need to get the interface.

If you can't play mp3 but have NAV and a CD-Changer you need to get that coded, which is free if you are still under warranty. (Check the bulleting here:http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/...mw-ipodint.htm)

If you don't have NAV or a CD-Changer you need coding.
Thanks for the rundown schlrog,

i am out of warrenty and need coding...
i have basic sat Nav, and CD changer with no MP3 working yet

is there a DIY for do coding ourselves.
Or, how much would it typically cost to get done in the US, i am in Australia, but would be a guide..

cheers
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

there is no way you can do the coding yourself... mp3 coding runs anywhere betwen 75 and 400. I've seen anything in that range depending on the dealer.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog
there is no way you can do the coding yourself... mp3 coding runs anywhere betwen 75 and 400. I've seen anything in that range depending on the dealer.
Hi, new to this forum, have '09 E61 520D, no NAV, business radio that currently doesnt play MP3 disk. Dealer quoted me what seems about the going rate or slightly better- GBP 175 for the OEM unit and an hours labour at GBP 160ish (how do they make a profit?). What they could not confirm for me is that I would be able to see track/artist names on the display and not just Track1, Track2 etc. I read on other forums that this would be the case because I have business radio (M-ASK). Can anyone confirm whether I will or will not be able to see the track names/artists etc. Otherwise it will be pretty useless and thats a lot of money to take a gamble with. Many thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Senior Members

hi, i am thinking to install ipod/ iphone interface, but i am not what parts should i get.
currently i have cd changer, professional package, can play mp3 and sat nav. any instructions how to install them?
thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jammer
Hi, new to this forum, have '09 E61 520D, no NAV, business radio that currently doesnt play MP3 disk. Dealer quoted me what seems about the going rate or slightly better- GBP 175 for the OEM unit and an hours labour at GBP 160ish (how do they make a profit?). What they could not confirm for me is that I would be able to see track/artist names on the display and not just Track1, Track2 etc. I read on other forums that this would be the case because I have business radio (M-ASK). Can anyone confirm whether I will or will not be able to see the track names/artists etc. Otherwise it will be pretty useless and thats a lot of money to take a gamble with. Many thanks
I have an 07 LCI e60 520d uk spec with no nav & the standard base radio (not sure if that is the business radio).
I had the bwm ipod kit fitted for a similar price and mine does show the track/artist names but will only display the first 1000 in anyone folder and 255 folders per directory.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by timps
I have an 07 LCI e60 520d uk spec with no nav & the standard base radio (not sure if that is the business radio).
I had the bwm ipod kit fitted for a similar price and mine does show the track/artist names but will only display the first 1000 in anyone folder and 255 folders per directory.
Thanks Timps. I did not think that the ipod used a directory structure in the usual sense ie like a PC does. What problem does the restriction you mentioned above cause you when you are using the unit - you can only see the first 1000 songs on the Ipod?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jammer
Thanks Timps. I did not think that the ipod used a directory structure in the usual sense ie like a PC does. What problem does the restriction you mentioned above cause you when you are using the unit - you can only see the first 1000 songs on the Ipod?
The BMW unit uses CD1, CD2 etc up to CD6 as the menu system, so CD1 is playlists, CD2 is Artist & CD3 Album etc.
Taking CD2 for example, each artist is classed as a folder, this gives you up to 255 artists and each folder can hold 1000 songs from that artist. So if you have less than 255 different artists and each artist has less than 1000 songs there are no limitations.
This is the same for each directory (album, playlist, genre etc).

The only limitation in my set up is CD 6 which is track (this is every track on the iPod) I have well over a 1000 tracks. The iPod will still play the tracks after 1000 on this directory but does not display the tag info. Also you can no longer use the idrive wheel & have to use the steering wheel buttons or the radio buttons to go up and down after track 1000 (but the tag info will still be seen if you access track 1001+ through another directory i.e. album or artist).

You can technically get over any limitation by making your own playlist if needs be.

I did not have any problems as most of my music was cd based when I put it on the iPod so I set itunes to keep all the compilations cd?s out of the artist directory to keep the artist number down & I access those tracks through the album directory or my own compilation playlist.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY