DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$200 is a big price for coding. SA told me they reprogram whole idrive, including engine management system, everything. They only charge 1 hour labor to connect and dissconnect car from system, but actual update takes whole-day, with car connected to update system, sometimes even longer 8-12 hours.

I am in two-minds to go ahead, because I heard some stories that occassionally updating Idrive can cause problems. My car gives great fuel consumption, runs like a dream, I worry updating enegine management will in some way create problems. I guess I just come from the "if it is not broke, don't fix it" corner.

And like I said before I have to put back CD-changer or the car won't even accept update, because the car see's missing component.

Crazy, long, expensive process for an Ipod install.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree it might seem so. If you read the bmw retrofit describtion it states that the car should be updated before instalation. After instalation it should be coded.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher
$200 is a big price for coding. SA told me they reprogram whole idrive, including engine management system, everything. They only charge 1 hour labor to connect and dissconnect car from system, but actual update takes whole-day, with car connected to update system, sometimes even longer 8-12 hours.

I am in two-minds to go ahead, because I heard some stories that occassionally updating Idrive can cause problems. My car gives great fuel consumption, runs like a dream, I worry updating enegine management will in some way create problems. I guess I just come from the "if it is not broke, don't fix it" corner.

And like I said before I have to put back CD-changer or the car won't even accept update, because the car see's missing component.

Crazy, long, expensive process for an Ipod install.
200 is cheap for coding. anything coding wise starts at least at 200 from what i have gathered. There have been a lot of people that never needed any coding after hooking up the ipod. Perhaps your case was an odd-ball but pretty much every one else i have ever talked to it went flawless.

If you do not have the CDC pre-wiring it's tricky bc you have to guide the wiring from the glove box to the CCC which i don't know if i would attempt myself. I'd be careful with this and get a quote from your dealer to see how much they would charge.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schulrog
200 is cheap for coding. anything coding wise starts at least at 200 from what i have gathered. There have been a lot of people that never needed any coding after hooking up the ipod. Perhaps your case was an odd-ball but pretty much every one else i have ever talked to it went flawless.

If you do not have the CDC pre-wiring it's tricky bc you have to guide the wiring from the glove box to the CCC which i don't know if i would attempt myself. I'd be careful with this and get a quote from your dealer to see how much they would charge.
It actually was not that hard at all but the Dash need to be partly dismantled.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: ' 05 545i 6 on the Floor

now that i see how easy that is! whats the cheapest i can get the interface??? looking for this asap please pm
Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Try looking for some one that has an Autologic system, the retrofit coding can be done with out an update if using Autologic.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Members

Ok after reading all of this, I'm so confused.

My car is a 2005 545i. I have Nav, CD changer and MP3s are enabled (I only use the indash drive, never the changer so I don't know if MP3s play on that).

All i have to do is install it and I should be good to go, right?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Hi there,

The CD-Changer won't play mp3 CD's. All you should need to do is plug in the iPod interface and you're ready to go. Some rare instances you do have to get coding done but about 95% of installs don't when you have NAV, CD-Changer and your main CD-Slot can play mp3's. Please let us know if it works out without coding.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog
Hi there,

The CD-Changer won't play mp3 CD's. All you should need to do is plug in the iPod interface and you're ready to go. Some rare instances you do have to get coding done but about 95% of installs don't when you have NAV, CD-Changer and your main CD-Slot can play mp3's. Please let us know if it works out without coding.
Thanks for the response. When I get the parts and install them, I will report back with my findings.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Fitted my ipod interface into my 2006 530d the other day and it worked first time, no need for coding. Cars going in for an update on Tuesday so i guess i will have to take the interface out nad put the cd-changer back
or the update could fail.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY