DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='1095946' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:14 PM
I have a 02/04 built date with Nav and had an mp3 software update by the dealer for free. GL.

I went to the dealer and he said it would be 2hrs of programming which is $250.... Why/How did you get it for free?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vascool
I went to the dealer and he said it would be 2hrs of programming which is $250.... Why/How did you get it for free?
If you don't have nav it will not be free.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

ok so I have my ipod interface, and all the cords. I am pre-wired for a cd changer, and have found all the wires I need. I just cannot bring my self to breaking the fiber optic loop. I opened up the holder, and could not sure our if I just yank the two fiber optic wires out, or if they unclip from it. My car is an 04, so I am preparing myself to have to pay for something when they program the car... I am thinking of going with the CD player skips excuse.

Please help me get over this fear!!

Jay8s
Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

I just opened my loop tonight. There is a square box where the two wires join shown in this thread already. You need to pry open the square box. I used a utility knife with a flat sharp blade to pop open the box. After you get the box off there will be a cylindrical connector. From this point gently pull with steady force on the fiber optic cable on one side. The wire should pop right out at this point.

Originally Posted by jay8s
ok so I have my ipod interface, and all the cords. I am pre-wired for a cd changer, and have found all the wires I need. I just cannot bring my self to breaking the fiber optic loop. I opened up the holder, and could not sure our if I just yank the two fiber optic wires out, or if they unclip from it. My car is an 04, so I am preparing myself to have to pay for something when they program the car... I am thinking of going with the CD player skips excuse.

Please help me get over this fear!!

Jay8s
Old 02-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

I am gonna do it tonight. I figure I just changed out my grills last night, and that was not that big a deal, surely I can do this.

Thanks
Jay8s
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

I recently purchased a Dension ipod kit. I took to dealership in Bloomfield, NJ to have the I drive software updated. They refused to do the upgrade since the Dension ipod kit was aftermarket. They mentioned in the past they have had bad experiences doing this. Is there any dealership in Northern NJ that has performed the update for anyone on this forum?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Members

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I have a UK 2004 built 525i with bus nav and CD changer. I purchased the iPod connector kit from BMW and have had the MP3 coding done. The unit installation is easy and as described in the original post.

My problem:
The "CD" option on the iDrive remains greyed out with the iPhone connected. It doesn't matter how long I leave it plugged in, it never comes alive. I've tried a friends iPod too, the BMW logo shows up but the "CD" option remains greyed out. What am I missing??

P.S. I have checked that the single CD drive does play MP3s and that's fine.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Contributors

you need to get the proper coding done. bus. nav might not do the trick, you need the actual nav display
Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

I don't know if this scenario has came up, but I have an 04 with logic 7 and no nav. I have attempted to get my car retrofitted for the MP3 just for those capabilities, but the dealerships I went to said that my system is not capable of playing MP3s. From what I understand that means it is not a MOST system. So, if I were to buy the ipod retrofit and install it then go to a dealer and ask them to enable my MP3 capabilities, couldn't they just say it was incompatible and force me to pay for the upgrade? Also I don't believe the bulletin I downloaded from this thread includes my car. "MODEL E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation from SOP to 9/29/05 vehicle production" Thanks for your help.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Contributors

it'll work but you'll have to get coding done.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY