DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Roger,

I am a newbie here i am confused about a few things. I have an E60 Sept 03 without CDC & No Nav. By reading all the pages i believe that i have the CDC prewired.

The things that i am confused with :-

1. I dont know whether im using MOST or MASK system? does this really matter?
2. What's the difference between the BMW ipod interface and the Dension gateway 500?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Members

Hi all, I just completed the install of my Sec Dock 2.5. I think its makes good use of the ashtray.
iPod interface installation DIY-specdock.jpg
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tierneyj' post='916198' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:10 AM
Hi all, I just completed the install of my Sec Dock 2.5. I think its makes good use of the ashtray.
Attachment 82367
that is really nice

where do you get that?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='637096' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:32 AM
PM me if you want the BMW service bulletin that will permit you to get the mp3 retrofit done for free, which enables you to play MP3 CD's or use the iPod interface. Or if you want the official BMW ipod interface installation instructions.
Does this MP3 retrofit thing only work with the ipod interface installed? I had the software update done at the dealer asking for the retrofit. Gave them the SIB for the directions given therein. They tried everything but they don't get it to work. They even e-mailed with M?nchen headquaters and several other dealers in the Netherlands but they just can't get it to work. I probably have the only CCC which is not compatible with the MP3 retrofit. Wished I had that kind of luck in the lottery. If anybody encoutered the same problem I would certainly like to know. I can only accept that it is not possible if I am not alone in this.

My car is 530iA Touring (E61) build March 2005. No CD-changer, no ipod interface. It has the Navi proffessional with the extra DVD slot. Progmann version 31 is now installed. MP3 playback is activated during the software update. Used a CD with mp3's on it which playes in every BMW present in their garage except mine (mine not being the eldest).

Thanks for your time reading this.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xifaraind23' post='915621' date='Jun 18 2009, 08:53 AM
Hi Roger,

I am a newbie here i am confused about a few things. I have an E60 Sept 03 without CDC & No Nav. By reading all the pages i believe that i have the CDC prewired.

The things that i am confused with :-

1. I dont know whether im using MOST or MASK system? does this really matter?
2. What's the difference between the BMW ipod interface and the Dension gateway 500?

Thanks a lot for the help.
MOST is the fiber optic system. It's important that you have CCC NAV

the difference is the way they operate.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nljong17' post='916809' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:26 AM
Does this MP3 retrofit thing only work with the ipod interface installed? I had the software update done at the dealer asking for the retrofit. Gave them the SIB for the directions given therein. They tried everything but they don't get it to work. They even e-mailed with M?nchen headquaters and several other dealers in the Netherlands but they just can't get it to work. I probably have the only CCC which is not compatible with the MP3 retrofit. Wished I had that kind of luck in the lottery. If anybody encoutered the same problem I would certainly like to know. I can only accept that it is not possible if I am not alone in this.

My car is 530iA Touring (E61) build March 2005. No CD-changer, no ipod interface. It has the Navi proffessional with the extra DVD slot. Progmann version 31 is now installed. MP3 playback is activated during the software update. Used a CD with mp3's on it which playes in every BMW present in their garage except mine (mine not being the eldest).

Thanks for your time reading this.
The update should work just fine. I bet you they didn't do the mp3 upgrade correctly.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Members

Hi Guys/Roger,
This thread was perfect for info that I was seeking. I would love to buy this kit from aftermarketbulbsshop.com and do the mod myself.
My E60 = 2004 545i + Nav + in-glove CD Changer.

However I checked and I am unable to play MP3 cds in the in-dash CD slot. Audio CDs play fine.
I called my local BMW dealer and they want $258 + Tax for the "Retrofit MP3" code enabling!!

How do I go about getting this done for free or for a reasonable sum? I downloaded the Jan 06 bulletin from your website. But my warranty ran out in April 08.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Contributors

If you're not under warranty it'll be pretty much impossible to get it done free. They charge whatever they can to make some $ these days. However 258 isn't THAT bad. I've heard of people being charged anywhere from 250 - 550 to get the mp3 retrofit done. It's well worth it though

Do you currently have a CD-Changer and NAV?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='920543' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:11 PM
...SNIP...
Do you currently have a CD-Changer and NAV?
Yes I have both. That's why I want to do the iPod install myself. BMW wants $800 + Tax to do the iPod install (incl hardware).
Being a programmer myself, I just can't get over the extortion that is - charging $258 for entering a code. Pathetic, if you ask me.
In fact I do remember asking them during warranty about this. Never got a straight answer. But I am not into using MP3 CDs so I never pushed for it. And I didn;t know about the bulletin then.
Aargh!!! Looks like I need to get rid of the Beemer to be able to use my iPhone. Shame....
Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Yeah that has always bugged me too quite a bit. They overcharge for simple tasks.

Anyway, all you need is the mp3 upgrade and then you can do the install yourself without any issues and it'll work.

You can find the interface on my store site at: http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/BMW-iP...bmw-ipodint.htm

You also should get the faceplate to cover the hole where the CD-Changer used to be. And of course you get 24/7 support with the item and can call me any time you need any assistance.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY