DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='637096' date='Jul 31 2008, 07:32 PM
Here's some pics of the install. I think they are pretty self explanatory except that the CD-Changer screws don't come out. They just loosen and then permits you to pull the unit out. I fixed the iPod interface with the supplied cable ties. No drilling no nothing. Plug n Play.

PM me if you want the BMW service bulletin that will permit you to get the mp3 retrofit done for free, which enables you to play MP3 CD's or use the iPod interface. Or if you want the official BMW ipod interface installation instructions.

i'm new on this forum can you please send me that service bulletin?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Contributors

the interface, faceplate and all documentation are available @ www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

Just finished the iPod adapter installation, took less than one hour. So much easier installation than when I had to take the rear seat out of my e46 to install the DICE adapter. This OEM part works so much better than my DICE did. Thanks to schulrog for his instructions.

I printed out both BMW's and schulrog's and read them before beginning the project. BMW's were overwhelming. Glad I had schulrog's. The only problem I had was I broke my CD player's faceplate trying to pull out the player. The instructions said to be careful not to over loosen the screws, but what happened in my case was I didn't loosen them enough, and when I pulled hard to remove the player the faceplate snapped. As soon as I unscrewed the screws say 10-15 times the player slid right out.

Thanks again for the easy to follow instructions. One mod down....many more to go!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributors

NP Always glad to help out!

The BMW instructions are pretty much useless. I remember when I first did the mod and they just make it look so complicated so I ended up tossing the instructions in the trash and just did my own thing lol

You should notice when the screws are loose enough as they CD changer will move and wiggle when they are loose enough
Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Need some guidance here guys. I got the ipod interface the other day and installed it which was really easy. After hooking up my ipod I get the BMW logo that pops up but it seems that I cannot access the ipod through the iDrive. My assumption is that my 04 545i doesn't have the MP3 enabled hence the reason for the ipod not linking up. Called my dealer and they said they cannot do the MP3 retrofit since my car doesn't have NAV. Also my car is just out of warranty at 52k. Should I contact another dealer and expect to pay? Cost for reprogram? Will it work on Non-Nav units?

I know people are getting this done for Free but I am assuming they still have warranty...

Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Contributors

It's all covered in the thread

It'll work with non-Nav. See if you have mp3... burn a mp3 CD and put it in the single slot CD and see if it plays. if not then you need to get mp3 enabled. try different dealers and tell them that it should be free on a customer complaint basis and that you've seen a bulletin about this. Ask them to look for the bulleting. Chances are before they'll do that they'll just give you the upgrade.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Sorry I just noticed I forgot to mention that my in-dash CD player was playing some CDs of mine that had MP3 files. No names were showing up though... and I didn't get an MP3 option that showed on the iDrive as some members have seen. The other thing that is interesting is that my service records show no MP3 update/retrofit.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by socale39' post='775601' date='Jan 23 2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry I just noticed I forgot to mention that my in-dash CD player was playing some CDs of mine that had MP3 files. No names were showing up though... and I didn't get an MP3 option that showed on the iDrive as some members have seen. The other thing that is interesting is that my service records show no MP3 update/retrofit.

I have the same problem. My car has Business nav (M-ASK), plays MP3's and has a cd-changer. Have no idea why it isn't working
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='760483' date='Jan 6 2009, 02:26 AM
The question is.. Does your vehicle currently play mp3? do you have a CD-Changer hooked up?

If you said yes to both it's plug n play
Hi Shulrog, can you answer this for me please, seems like you the man round here for ipod kits.
What if the mp3 works on my main cd drive it shows all track names etc but it does NOT work from the cd changer the disc is non selectable. Does this mean I need additional programming from BMW ?

My car's build date Sept 2005 BMW 530D M Sport, it has both pro satnav and cd changer factory installed and plays mp3 from main cd drive only.

Any ideas, I have been quoted ?471 at local BMW dealer for kit and install.

Thanks 4 any help.

This is my first post, excellent forum good job guys
Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bartman' post='777133' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Shulrog, can you answer this for me please, seems like you the man round here for ipod kits.
What if the mp3 works on my main cd drive it shows all track names etc but it does NOT work from the cd changer the disc is non selectable. Does this mean I need additional programming from BMW ?

My car's build date Sept 2005 BMW 530D M Sport, it has both pro satnav and cd changer factory installed and plays mp3 from main cd drive only.

Any ideas, I have been quoted ?471 at local BMW dealer for kit and install.

Thanks 4 any help.

This is my first post, excellent forum good job guys
Sorry this is taking a while but I had my first weekend classes for my MBA and let me tell you it sucks! 8AM to 6PM Sat. AND Sun(

Only the in-Dash CD-Player has to be able to play mp3's. Some older CD-Changers don't have the capability to play mp3's so don't worry about that

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY