DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.. if you're only concerned with the mp3 retrofit without interface or cd-changer just try it out and see what happens can't hurt
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Members

HI,

in the not pre-wired case, how complicated would it be to install the iPod Interface. I?m driving a 11/2003 530i with Nav. Business (no Changer) and cant find any cable?
Has anybody a manual for this?

Nivie
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributors

in case of non-prewire, you need a different kit which is also offered at www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com but i suggest that you have BMW do the installation if you don't have any prewire unless you are very familiar with working on cars.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Members

Is there any simple way of telling if you have had the MP3 Retro fit?

is there much involved in doing this..

Where do you get the iPod Cable from?

Im a little confused as im very new to all this iDrive stuff

Car is a 2007 E64 650i

it has the 6CD Stacker

and two CD Slots in the front?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Hi there,

I'll be happy to clarify this for you.

Simple way to see if you have the mp3 retrofit enabled is put an mp3 CD into the dash where the 2 slots are. 1 slot is for CD's which is the drive you want to test and 1 is for the NAV DVD. if it plays mp3 files then you're set and only need to hook up the iPod interface. If not, then you need to the the mp3 retrofit enabled which is free with the proper bulletin.
The iPod interface is a device that connects to your MOST BUS(vehicle communication system) and also connects to the iPod. You will have to remove the CD-Changer however since the iPod interface is installed where the CD-Changer was. The installation is a very easy process only takes about 15-20 min to complete. You can find the interface @ www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com under audi
Old 10-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='684033' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi there,

I'll be happy to clarify this for you.

Simple way to see if you have the mp3 retrofit enabled is put an mp3 CD into the dash where the 2 slots are. 1 slot is for CD's which is the drive you want to test and 1 is for the NAV DVD. if it plays mp3 files then you're set and only need to hook up the iPod interface. If not, then you need to the the mp3 retrofit enabled which is free with the proper bulletin.
The iPod interface is a device that connects to your MOST BUS(vehicle communication system) and also connects to the iPod. You will have to remove the CD-Changer however since the iPod interface is installed where the CD-Changer was. The installation is a very easy process only takes about 15-20 min to complete. You can find the interface @ www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com under audi
thank you Schulrog.. sorry i was having difficulty Assertaining what the exact procedureand requirements were thru this thread as there are comments left right and centre so it is slightly diluted for me to read!

re: Putting MP3 CD in doh i should have thought of that, Will Give this a whirl tonight....

Just out of interest What does the Dealership "MP3 Retrofit" entail exactly is it just a Firmware Update? I havent been able to find any documentation about this via the intergoogleweb!

Being at the Arse End of the world im not sure how capable Dealerships here are in terms of completeing retrofits and updates

Cheers Team!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Funny thing is most BMW dealerships think that an iDrive update enables mp3 retrofit. it doesn't. mp3 retrofit is an option in the system and just needs to be enabled and it'll work so in summary firmware update does NOT equal mp3 retrofit.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributors

i had bmw update my software so that i can play mp3 cds from my single disk. i tested it and it works fine. i then removed my cd changer and plugged in the ipod interface, connected it to my ipod and it says connected to bmw. but i cant find the ipod on my idrive. i go to entertainment and i see FM AM CD. i am unable to click on CD. help!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kali4nia58' post='685154' date='Oct 4 2008, 12:01 PM
i had bmw update my software so that i can play mp3 cds from my single disk. i tested it and it works fine. i then removed my cd changer and plugged in the ipod interface, connected it to my ipod and it says connected to bmw. but i cant find the ipod on my idrive. i go to entertainment and i see FM AM CD. i am unable to click on CD. help!
On the CD sub-menu, go to disk's 1-6 That is actually your ipod, and each disk stands for something like
Playlists, list by artist, list by album name.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rajah996' post='685184' date='Oct 4 2008, 09:56 AM
On the CD sub-menu, go to disk's 1-6 That is actually your ipod, and each disk stands for something like
Playlists, list by artist, list by album name.
i dont even get the cd submenu. i just get FM, AM, and CD. but i cannot click on CD.

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY