DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sagar' post='759036' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:46 AM
Roger,
At the moment im planning on getting the iPod interface. Wiring it up.
Going to my dealer with the MP3 SIB, and also asking them to enable my CDC, and hoping they dont spot the iPod Interface.

My question is, if they spot the interface, or I have coding issues and end up getting the proper iPod Interface installation, is there a difference in operation? Like are there different iDrive menu's etc, or are both ways the same?
lol ? i don't quite understand.. there's only 1 way they can program the car to enable CDC which basically is telling the car: ok allow input from this fiber cable It's irrelevant what is hooked up since even though you have the iPod interface hooked up the car still thinks it's the CDC
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='759258' date='Jan 4 2009, 10:17 PM
lol ? i don't quite understand.. there's only 1 way they can program the car to enable CDC which basically is telling the car: ok allow input from this fiber cable It's irrelevant what is hooked up since even though you have the iPod interface hooked up the car still thinks it's the CDC
What I mean is, if I went to BMW and asked them to fit the iPod Interface, would it differ in operation to the method of just enabling the CDC and plugging the interface into that....or is it the same?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Contributors

It would be the exact same thing. All they do is plug the interface in and charge you 300 for installation it's a 15-20min max job.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='759296' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:27 PM
It would be the exact same thing. All they do is plug the interface in and charge you 300 for installation it's a 15-20min max job.
Awesome
I'm planning on attempting the Pro-Nav retrofit in the next few weeks. I guess it would be worth waiting until this was in and coded before I did the iPod interface right? Just incase I have to have it done twice?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributors

yeah i'd wait.. if you give the techs more than 1 thing to do at a time they get confused lol
Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Actually... put it in and tell them to do both that way if they mess something up you won't get charged for either programming
Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='659558' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah you have the pre-wire. The one with the 2 holes is the plug you need but it's empty? that's odd. call BMW and take her in and ask them to explain. i don't understand why you have 2 plugs either.
Schulog....need your help I'm afraid as I'm confused!!

I have an '06 530i with no navigation and no CDC. However, it appears that the CDC is pre-wired as I have a cable with a connection that appears to be wrapped. I have not unwrapped it to see what it looks like. I put an MP3 CD in my single CD player and it played just fine. I thought I would need to have the IDrive modified to recognize the CDC? Maybe since it is pre-wired this is already done? Please clarify for me.

Does this mean I'm good to go and all I need to do is buy, plug and play the Ipod interface?

On a separate note, I was not able to eject the CD all the way out. I had to use needle nose pliers to get the CD out of the slot. I'm assuming that this is a problem??

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Contributors

if you don't have the CDC then you most likely need it enabled. The wiring is there to make it easier if you want to add CDC or iPod interface but the programming still has to happen. Either CDC or iPod interface hooked up will work just fine as long as "something" is hooked up for programming purposes.

in conclusion: CDC prewiring does not mean it will work. You can try (which for some worked) but chances are that you will have to get the CDC option enabled.

umm needle nose pliers to get the CD out is def. a prob have try another CD and see if it still doesn't work. If not then bring it to the dealer. that should not happen!

also, the iPod interface is available @ www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com along with all documentation
Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Members

so I just buy the kit at the site you guys said

do whats in the pictures, so easy even for me, just plug and play

and thats it?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hostelo' post='760399' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:33 AM
so I just buy the kit at the site you guys said

do whats in the pictures, so easy even for me, just plug and play

and thats it?
The question is.. Does your vehicle currently play mp3? do you have a CD-Changer hooked up?

If you said yes to both it's plug n play

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY