DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john06530i' post='698783' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:09 AM
My (05/05 build) E60 is now mp3 enabled. I took it to the dealership on Saturday and told them my in dash cd player would not play mp3 cds. 6 hours later I got the car back and they said it is now mp3 enabled. They told me that one of the techs had an mp3 cd and it worked in the car. But just to make sure I had left an mp3 cd that I burned, also on Windows Vista, in the car and I tried it out before I left the dealership. Sure enough my mp3 cd also worked. They updated my iDrive also but it's still sluggish going through the menus but then again that could be due to the cold start as others have pointed out. Haven't decided on getting the ipod kit yet. Just wish I could get it into the arm rest so that it is easier to get to my iPhone.
get a 20GB classic and leave it in the car you don't want to use the iPhone anyway. every time you disconnct the iPhone and get back into the car, it will go to FM radio. meaning... you have to hook up iPhone and then switch to CD every time you disconnect the iPhone.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

hi all - new to this thread. I also would like to add the ipod interface but would like to find out how the play lists would come through first. for example, once its connected, would I be able to access the top 25/ most play list? I read somewhere that 6 new bmw list would be created and if you had a lot of songs, it became a bit of a pain to re-organise. is this true?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kcleung' post='753998' date='Dec 28 2008, 01:36 AM
hi all - new to this thread. I also would like to add the ipod interface but would like to find out how the play lists would come through first. for example, once its connected, would I be able to access the top 25/ most play list? I read somewhere that 6 new bmw list would be created and if you had a lot of songs, it became a bit of a pain to re-organise. is this true?
no. you can delete the playlists and create the ones you want
Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

All remember that there is a 500 song limitation on the adaptor so with my Ipod touch with having 30 gigs, it would only read like the first 500 songs, artist, and genre's.

So what I did to be able to read my entire ipod music collection is in itunes: for my jazz collection which was over 500 songs I did a bmw jazz 1 bmw jazz 2 and bmw jazz3. I did the same for hip hop and R&B.

Now even though I did this I still had alot of music left over that was not accessable. So I did another set of playlist which were 1 thru 9 each containing about 500 songs and I have learned what artist alphabet is contained in each of the 9 playlist.

That way if I want to listen to Waymen Tisdale I go to the 9th number around 170 play a song and the artist name shows up and then I can either go forward within that playlist based on the alphabet and get to his collection.

May sound difficult be worked out great for me

Thanks again Schulog

P.s. I do have a problem with the new setup I tried the other day to play a cd and now I get alot of static I can here the song playing in the background really low but all static, I let it play the other day for about 10 min and it cleared up, tryed it again the next day same issue but this time it did not clear up. Not sure what the issue is I have to take it back in let the tech look at it not a big deal unless i try and introuduce new cds into the mix while I am out
Old 12-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='754200' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:19 AM
All remember that there is a 500 song limitation on the adaptor so with my Ipod touch with having 30 gigs, it would only read like the first 500 songs, artist, and genre's.

So what I did to be able to read my entire ipod music collection is in itunes: for my jazz collection which was over 500 songs I did a bmw jazz 1 bmw jazz 2 and bmw jazz3. I did the same for hip hop and R&B.

Now even though I did this I still had alot of music left over that was not accessable. So I did another set of playlist which were 1 thru 9 each containing about 500 songs and I have learned what artist alphabet is contained in each of the 9 playlist.

That way if I want to listen to Waymen Tisdale I go to the 9th number around 170 play a song and the artist name shows up and then I can either go forward within that playlist based on the alphabet and get to his collection.

May sound difficult be worked out great for me

Thanks again Schulog

P.s. I do have a problem with the new setup I tried the other day to play a cd and now I get alot of static I can here the song playing in the background really low but all static, I let it play the other day for about 10 min and it cleared up, tryed it again the next day same issue but this time it did not clear up. Not sure what the issue is I have to take it back in let the tech look at it not a big deal unless i try and introuduce new cds into the mix while I am out
NP
Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

Okay, I know I am about to embarrass myself, but what the heck . I installed an iPod connector/interface in my past two 3-series. So, I know I will want to install one in my 2006 550i.

I thought maybe just to get by for a while I would use the Aux Input, which I thought was in the front of the console armrest box. There is a little slider cover and an input underneath the cover. I purchased a Stereo Audio Cable for MP3 Players. Plugged it into my iPod and tried to plug the other end into this input. No luck. So, what is that input? And, where would the Aux Input be if my car has one? If not, guess I'll be looking for an iPod interface sooner.

Build Date: 12/16/2005
Premium Stereo
CD Changer in Glove Box
Navigation
Bluetooth
Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributors

I'm not familiar with the AUX stuff but I know there are some threads around here that go into that
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

I have an 05 545i and it does not play mp3 cds....Kind of a dumb question, but if I read this right, bmw will upgrade the software for free to allow it to play mp3 cds?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributors

correct. technically you have to have warranty but most dealers aren't aware of that and do it anyway because they don't want to look for the bulletin
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Roger,
At the moment im planning on getting the iPod interface. Wiring it up.
Going to my dealer with the MP3 SIB, and also asking them to enable my CDC, and hoping they dont spot the iPod Interface.

My question is, if they spot the interface, or I have coding issues and end up getting the proper iPod Interface installation, is there a difference in operation? Like are there different iDrive menu's etc, or are both ways the same?

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY