Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='982266' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:32 PM
If you come over to the UK and get sick, I promise we'll take care of you.

Interesting to see that there are some programmes in place to catch people who fall between the cracks - we don't really hear about that over here. Another example of the media (and politicians) trying to polarise the debate to a nice easy choice between good and evil!
Has the NHS always been a 2 tier system or is this relatively new?

I do know of a patient - he was in our local newspaper - Abdullatif Muhammed (?spelling?), who was an Iraqi citizen who immigrated to the UK around the time of the gulf war. He was diagonosed with "nerve irritation" in Iraq and when he arrived in the UK he was found to have a pelvic/abdominal mass. In the UK he was diagnosed as having a sacral cordoma and the best treatment for it is proton therapy. Proton therapy is not available in the UK, and he came to the US to my town where we have a proton therapy treatment center. However, his mass was biopsied here and it was found to actually be Ewings Sarcoma - luckily the treatment for it is also proton therapy.

I've also dealt personally with a nurse from Canada who came here for proton therapy to a sinus tumor.

There are obviously some cracks in the other systems as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='982315' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:11 PM

I do know of a patient - he was in our local newspaper - Abdullatif Muhammed (?spelling?), who was an Iraqi citizen who immigrated to the UK around the time of the gulf war. He was diagonosed with "nerve irritation" in Iraq and when he arrived in the UK he was found to have a pelvic/abdominal mass. In the UK he was diagnosed as having a sacral cordoma and the best treatment for it is proton therapy. Proton therapy is not available in the UK, and he came to the US to my town where we have a proton therapy treatment center. However, his mass was biopsied here and it was found to actually be Ewings Sarcoma - luckily the treatment for it is also proton therapy.

I've also dealt personally with a nurse from Canada who came here for proton therapy to a sinus tumor.

I don't think any Gov't system will ever be perfect, but there will always be the private options. Perhaps a hybrid system is the best, but we have a serious opportunity here to look at other systems and see what we can improve on. Healthcare is a basic necessity and cannot be left to the vultures at teh insurance companies.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='982315' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:11 PM

Misdiagnosis happens everywhere, in fairness. The major point relevant to this specific case is that the NHS will pay for the patient to get treatment overseas if needed (and it will be rare that treatment is not available in the UK, but widely available elsewhere). More likely than not, it was the UK NHS paid for this patient to get the proton therapy he needed.

As for the two tier system, it's been that way for years but it's definitely growing. As an example, BUPA, one of the main UK private health care providers and insurers, was founded over 60 years ago and offered private insurance from day one.

As you say, no system is perfect, but the UK system does work well. It is very far removed from the way that it's often been described in the US in recent weeks.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames' post='982330' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:23 PM
Misdiagnosis happens everywhere, in fairness. The major point relevant to this specific case is that the NHS will pay for the patient to get treatment overseas if needed (and it will be rare that treatment is not available in the UK, but widely available elsewhere). More likely than not, it was the UK NHS paid for this patient to get the proton therapy he needed.

As for the two tier system, it's been that way for years but it's definitely growing. As an example, BUPA, one of the main UK private health care providers and insurers, was founded over 60 years ago and offered private insurance from day one.

As you say, no system is perfect, but the UK system does work well. It is very far removed from the way that it's sometimes been described in the US in recent weeks.

+1 every other system in the world has been derided in recent weeks. Is it that they can find REAL fault or the fact that change is that scary to them? Something has got to be done and if you look hard enough there are always drawbacks. It is up to us to use the opportunity we have to learn, and hopefully improve on some of them as we develop a system of our own.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='982330' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:23 PM

As you say, no system is perfect, but the UK system does work well. It is very far removed from the way that it's often been described in the US in recent weeks.
Bringing up the misdiagnosis was meant only to say that it would have been a travesty for them to travel the great distance especially if the tumor had not been one that was treatable with proton therapy.

NHS did not pay for the treatment. All care was donated by local physicians. The local hospital wrote off the hospital charges. A group called Hoosiers Care then arranged for him to stay at Jill's House which is a place built specifically for the patients to stay while undergoing proton therapy, and then they arranged for him to move into an apartment.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='982476' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:36 PM
Bringing up the misdiagnosis was meant only to say that it would have been a travesty for them to travel the great distance especially if the tumor had not been one that was treatable with proton therapy.

NHS did not pay for the treatment. All care was donated by local physicians. The local hospital wrote off the hospital charges. A group called Hoosiers Care then arranged for him to stay at Jill's House which is a place built specifically for the patients to stay while undergoing proton therapy, and then they arranged for him to move into an apartment.
Either way, the point was really just that the NHS will pay for overseas treatment (it's not necessarily dependent on you having decent insurance). I'm obviously not familiar with this specific case and don't have the insight that you have into what happened. Keep in mind that it works in reverse too, the NHS has taken in foreign patients needing special care in cases where for one reason or another the NHS has some specific expertise.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Some will see nothing but left wing propaganda here but,.....take a swig of your favorite beverage and watch anyway.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/si...ndamerica/view/
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='981867' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:14 AM
It is interesting to watch the arguments here about Health Care (and really fascinating to see the "liberty" card being played again!).

However, you don't know diddly about the UK Healthcare system, so please stick to what you know. Here in the UK we have been seeing a pile of crap from "Debaters" in the US using the NHS to bash the principle of government run healthcare. It's actually been quite sickening and disappointing to see and I don't think the vast majority of American citizens are dumb enough to swallow it.

Here is how it actually works:

Everyone who is earning money pays some contribution to the cost of the NHS. A large number of us still choose to pay for private health insurance because we may want an operation done more quickly, or have more choice about where we go for treatment.

We still pay into the NHS scheme because we care enough about each other to do it. We want to know that people less fortunate than ourselves can get a reasonable level of treatment when they need it. We also have somewhere to go if the insurance companies get jiggy with us (pre-existing conditions etc).

You can, if you really try, twist all this into some sort of liberty issue. But's here the bottom line.

The UK chose this system as a country. You can choose to have something similar or not, depending on how most of you vote.

The NHS is very far from perfect but most people who use it are generally impressed.

Do people over the age of 65 get dialysis free at the point of use here? Or do you have to have medical insurance?

At the end of the day, the decision you reach collectively in the USA will not be about liberty or freedom. Democracy will decide the issue. After all, everyone is free to vote and all votes are counted equally. Aren't they?
One sentence caught my eye, "We still pay into the NHS scheme because we care enough about each other to do it." Kudos to the British people for realizing this. Unfortunately, in America, we have forgotten this principle. Everyone who "has" expects the "have-nots" to be like them. We have become accustomed to blame the "have-nots" for their shortcomings not realizing that many of us are only one layoff away from joining the millions of "have-nots" who have no medical insurance. In America we have forgotten that "united we stand, divided we fall." Boy, we are falling and falling pretty hard.......
Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Never mind health care, we have a real dilemma. C's wife curbed his wheels. This thread is hereby suspended until further notice.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='974152' date='Aug 12 2009, 04:27 PM
scary prediction.

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!