Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='983056' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:37 AM
scary prediction.
i've wondered what woulda happened if AIG and FM didnt get bailed out.
no one would be paying their mortgage payments cuz there are no companies to collect them?
Or they would have to sorta like shortsale those loans to other banks?

In terms of the NHS, i dont worry much for myself since i can afford it.
but i do volunteer work with men, women, children and elderly who cant
afford private healthcare.

its really a sad sight to see, i cant imagine voting against NHS if i knew it
would help those who cant afford privatized healthcare.

Its too bad not enough people are standing up for them.
Instead we have more people putting forth their own personal interests.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='982539' date='Aug 19 2009, 06:55 PM
Either way, the point was really just that the NHS will pay for overseas treatment (it's not necessarily dependent on you having decent insurance). I'm obviously not familiar with this specific case and don't have the insight that you have into what happened. Keep in mind that it works in reverse too, the NHS has taken in foreign patients needing special care in cases where for one reason or another the NHS has some specific expertise.
I looked more into his situation and it appears that he was not in the UK for 12 months so he didn't qualify for the NHS. Apparently you have to live in the UK for 12 months to qualify. I suspect they have some latitude but it didn't work in his case.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='982869' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:51 PM
One sentence caught my eye, "We still pay into the NHS scheme because we care enough about each other to do it." Kudos to the British people for realizing this. Unfortunately, in America, we have forgotten this principle. Everyone who "has" expects the "have-nots" to be like them. We have become accustomed to blame the "have-nots" for their shortcomings not realizing that many of us are only one layoff away from joining the millions of "have-nots" who have no medical insurance. In America we have forgotten that "united we stand, divided we fall." Boy, we are falling and falling pretty hard.......
Perfectly phrased. We have grown way to cynical as a nation and a culture. And as I have said before, it isn't just one layoff, it can be as simple as one minor accident followed by a week in a hospital and BOOM, you're swamped with bills and shortly thereafter - homeless.
My wife had our second son last Sept. she was in the hospital for 3 days, and the bill? $38,000!!! Luckily we have insurance, can you imagine if $38K had to come out of pocket?!?!?!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='982877' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:53 PM
Never mind health care, we have a real dilemma. C's wife curbed his wheels. This thread is hereby suspended until further notice.

Agreed, this is a national tragedy and we cannot focus on anything else until C's wheels are perfect again!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='982877' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:53 AM
Never mind health care, we have a real dilemma. C's wife curbed his wheels. This thread is hereby suspended until further notice.
Of course, in Sweden, the government would give you a free massage while they fixed your wheels for you...

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='983245' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:00 AM
Perfectly phrased. We have grown way to cynical as a nation and a culture. And as I have said before, it isn't just one layoff, it can be as simple as one minor accident followed by a week in a hospital and BOOM, you're swamped with bills and shortly thereafter - homeless.
My wife had our second son last Sept. she was in the hospital for 3 days, and the bill? $38,000!!! Luckily we have insurance, can you imagine if $38K had to come out of pocket?!?!?!
The other side of the coin is that those of us with a private insurance policy want to keep our insurance coverage as it is. Read the 1000+ page health care reform bill - it's an eye opener. I don't want to be forced into a nationalized health care policy for my family. I'm OK with a two tier policy as the UK has, though. Something similar could POSSIBLY be reached with a health savings acct and a catastrophic health care policy????

Does anyone have a non-partisan link that will provide details about the financial status of the NHS and the Canadian health care system?

Also, if you had a $38K bill, it could be negotiated down and paid with a non-interest payment plan. This also is the other side of the coin to the "how much is one lost life worth" argument - how much is your alive and well wife and child worth??
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='983472' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:24 AM
The other side of the coin is that those of us with a private insurance policy want to keep our insurance coverage as it is. Read the 1000+ page health care reform bill - it's an eye opener. I don't want to be forced into a nationalized health care policy for my family. I'm OK with a two tier policy as the UK has, though. Something similar could POSSIBLY be reached with a health savings acct and a catastrophic health care policy????

Does anyone have a non-partisan link that will provide details about the financial status of the NHS and the Canadian health care system?

Also, if you had a $38K bill, it could be negotiated down and paid with a non-interest payment plan. This also is the other side of the coin to the "how much is one lost life worth" argument - how much is your alive and well wife and child worth??

I agree with your first point, a 2 tier system DOES seem to work better and I don't think yo should be penalized for going with a private insurer.

My alive and well wife and child (my son turns 1 next month and thankfully is healthy and happy) is worth anything, obviously. However, even with a negotiated bill and "payments" - just what America needs, more debt. Children cost a lot nowadays, and then take into account soaring college tuition ( I have accounts for both my sons, set up once they were born - and I still wonder if it will be enough).
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='983483' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:36 PM
I agree with your first point, a 2 tier system DOES seem to work better and I don't think yo should be penalized for going with a private insurer.

My alive and well wife and child (my son turns 1 next month and thankfully is healthy and happy) is worth anything, obviously. However, even with a negotiated bill and "payments" - just what America needs, more debt. Children cost a lot nowadays, and then take into account soaring college tuition ( I have accounts for both my sons, set up once they were born - and I still wonder if it will be enough).
Keep in mind that having children is a CHOICE. You roll the dice, you pay the price. We tried for 7 yrs to have children with 7 FAILED in vitro fertilizations. I now have two healthy daughters. I don't care how much it cost - it was worth it. Sure, I gave up things (that I reallly didn't need) to pay for it, but it was my personal choice.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='983488' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:40 PM
Keep in mind that having children is a CHOICE. You roll the dice, you pay the price. We tried for 7 yrs to have children with 7 FAILED in vitro fertilizations. I now have two healthy daughters. I don't care how much it cost - it was worth it. Sure, I gave up things (that I reallly didn't need) to pay for it, but it was my personal choice.
Yes exactly. Coming from a family of all doctors, it's funny to me how people try to weasel out of a simple hospital bill, but then have
a big house in Newport Beach with probably 7 plasma tv's and 4 Mercedes. Get your priorities straight people. I can't even get
a plummer to come out and look at my john without having to fork over 150 bucks...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='983488' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:40 AM
My example was simply demonstrating the bill, you can get the same problem when you have an accident. An emergency appendectomy is not optional, but it could easily result in an equal if not greater bill. keep in mind, I wasn't complaining about the size of the bill, I am insured so I din't have to pay anywhere near that. Just saying that those without insurance would be screwed with a bill like that.

To Mjfloyd1:
BTW, congrats on your daughters. I am glad you and your wife were able to conceive. Children are always worth it.

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!