Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.....Here is the solution to this debate.....turn our society into that of the movie, "Logan's Run"......for those of you too young to know about this movie, the plot resolves around computers ruling this world (pretty generic), and kills off the population on their 30th birthday....of course that would mean that I should be dead if this were the case.

For those of you young-uns that don't know "Logan's Run", here's a link for your reading pleasure: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/plotsummary

Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by theonlychoman' post='983653' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:27 PM
OK.....Here is the solution to this debate.....turn our society into that of the movie, "Logan's Run"......for those of you too young to know about this movie, the plot resolves around computers ruling this world (pretty generic), and kills off the population on their 30th birthday....of course that would mean that I should be dead if this were the case.

For those of you young-uns that don't know "Logan's Run", here's a link for your reading pleasure: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/plotsummary

Forget that, I am 35 now!!! What are you trying to do man?!?!?! :
Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='983705' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:53 PM
Forget that, I am 35 now!!! What are you trying to do man?!?!?! :
According to the movie, you and I would be considered "insignificant", and would need to be disposed of (of course this would have needed to be done a LONG time ago....) anyways, there's enough E60'ers on this forum who are in their 20's or younger (Krozi)....to carry on....
Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='983483' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:36 PM
I agree with your first point, a 2 tier system DOES seem to work better and I don't think yo should be penalized for going with a private insurer.

My alive and well wife and child (my son turns 1 next month and thankfully is healthy and happy) is worth anything, obviously. However, even with a negotiated bill and "payments" - just what America needs, more debt. Children cost a lot nowadays, and then take into account soaring college tuition ( I have accounts for both my sons, set up once they were born - and I still wonder if it will be enough).
I do still wonder how well a 2 tier system in the US will work. Americans have a sense of entitlement. People are used to using the Emergency department as their primary care doctor and don't seem to want to wait on anything. The lower tier would have to be at a slower pace for non emergencies and I wonder how that will go over. Now those that don't have insurance still get the best care and quick care when they go to the hospital, but can't and don't pay the bill. Obviously, I have my doubts about Americans accepting delays. Maybe I'm wrong though. I hope so.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='984004' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:52 PM
I do still wonder how well a 2 tier system in the US will work. Americans have a sense of entitlement. People are used to using the Emergency department as their primary care doctor and don't seem to want to wait on anything. The lower tier would have to be at a slower pace for non emergencies and I wonder how that will go over. Now those that don't have insurance still get the best care and quick care when they go to the hospital, but can't and don't pay the bill. Obviously, I have my doubts about Americans accepting delays. Maybe I'm wrong though. I hope so.
Emergency care is what it is. If theres a bunch of people in the waiting room, its not first come first serve, its who needs immediate medical care, i.e. you have the flu and you checked in first, but in comes a man with a stab wound, ofcourse his condition is critical and he should recieve treatment before you do. Thats the Triage Nurse's job. I worked in a Emergency room before so i can speak from experience. If your condition is not critical, women, elderly, and children will unfortunely wait hours until there is an available attendee to help. Thats with our current system now.

Maybe in a small town you can treat your emergency room like your primary care doctor, but in a big city setting hospitals like Long Beach Medical or MLK hospital that serves to many adjecent cities, thats not going to cut it.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darkboyz68' post='984262' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:21 AM
Emergency care is what it is. If theres a bunch of people in the waiting room, its not first come first serve, its who needs immediate medical care, i.e. you have the flu and you checked in first, but in comes a man with a stab wound, ofcourse his condition is critical and he should recieve treatment before you do. Thats the Triage Nurse's job. I worked in a Emergency room before so i can speak from experience. If your condition is not critical, women, elderly, and children will unfortunely wait hours until there is an available attendee to help. Thats with our current system now.

Maybe in a small town you can treat your emergency room like your primary care doctor, but in a big city setting hospitals like Long Beach Medical or MLK hospital that serves to many adjecent cities, thats not going to cut it.
I meant that people with non emergencies would not be able to use the ED for their care. They'll have to wait to get in to see a primary care doctor at their office.

Unfortunately, people can and do use the ED as their primary care doctor in both small towns and large towns. This will have to stop if you want costs to come down.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='984396' date='Aug 21 2009, 06:30 AM
I meant that people with non emergencies would not be able to use the ED for their care. They'll have to wait to get in to see a primary care doctor at their office.

Unfortunately, people can and do use the ED as their primary care doctor in both small towns and large towns. This will have to stop if you want costs to come down.
Possibly, but again a focus on preventative care would reduce that number significantly anyway. You are absolutely correct that Americans DO have a sense of entitlement - just try taking their McD's away from them because it's not healthy. Moderation doesn't seem to be in our vocabulary. That said, I don't think of healthcare as an "entitlement" but a national responsibility. We provide other services to all people as a service, police, firefighters, schools, road repair - all of which are not luxuries but necessities. This is how I view healthcare, it's not optional, it is a basic need of modern life.
Sure the founding fathers didn't envision national healthcare, but they didn't envision the need for driver's licenses either. And many people today think driving is a right and it certainly isn't.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='984428' date='Aug 21 2009, 08:06 AM
Possibly, but again a focus on preventative care would reduce that number significantly anyway. You are absolutely correct that Americans DO have a sense of entitlement - just try taking their McD's away from them because it's not healthy. Moderation doesn't seem to be in our vocabulary. That said, I don't think of healthcare as an "entitlement" but a national responsibility. We provide other services to all people as a service, police, firefighters, schools, road repair - all of which are not luxuries but necessities. This is how I view healthcare, it's not optional, it is a basic need of modern life.
Sure the founding fathers didn't envision national healthcare, but they didn't envision the need for driver's licenses either. And many people today think driving is a right and it certainly isn't.
But food and water are necessities and I get (or pay) bills for each every month, if not earlier.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='984757' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:50 PM
But food and water are necessities and I get (or pay) bills for each every month, if not earlier.
As do I, however, if you can't maintain good health good luck keeping the job you need to pay those bills. That is the problem - our worst off are usually the ones who have no other choice but to wait until their health is critical before seeking treatment. Such as for Diabetes, Cancer, Flu - then they cost us a lot mroe to treat because they are now both indigent and near death.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='984764' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:54 PM
As do I, however, if you can't maintain good health good luck keeping the job you need to pay those bills. That is the problem - our worst off are usually the ones who have no other choice but to wait until their health is critical before seeking treatment. Such as for Diabetes, Cancer, Flu - then they cost us a lot mroe to treat because they are now both indigent and near death.
I know what you are saying, but there is certainly a subculture of people who choose not to work and live off of the system. What is the solution for that?

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!