Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula 1, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009 | 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='836209' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:30 AM
Agree and somewhere disagree. I agree that competition between all the teams leads to a good sport and racing but i get the feeling that the issue with that diffuser is not so simple as you show it. IF FIA already approved the diffuser (or agreed as you say) than why do they need so much time to reject the contestations and thus officially approve it? We are well underway in the 2nd race and no solution has been issued to the problem! That way we can all accept it and get on with it and start do it for ourselves (speaking for behalf of the complainants).

Why not tell the complainants from the get go, look guys we have been already asked by Brawn and the other teams about this issue and we agreed to it because of this and that. Surely they were able to explain the reasons of acceptance SINCE THEY ALREADY ACCEPTED IT IN PRINCIPLE! And then if the issue was so clear on what really grounded facts would the complainants make their contestation? Clearly to make a proper and serious contestation at any level in any circumstance you have to do it based on one or more attack points!
It really is that simple, the stewards cleared the Brawn, Toyota and Williams cars for both the Australian and Malaysian GP's so the other teams protested and it's these steward's decisions that are being contested in Paris in a week or two. BMW tried to appeal with the others last week but they messed up their complaint so it was rejected, they protested again in Malaysia and the stewards again rejected it. The reason it's dragging on, though, is that the other teams are appealing the two race steward's decisions, not anything issued by the FIA technical committee (although that will of course form part of the evidence). So it's off to Paris. The "diffuser three" argue their diffuser is legal and so far they seem to have the upper hand - but this is F1, so who knows what could happen in Paris.
Old 04-04-2009 | 05:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='835149
Massa didn't even make it to Q2 and is 16th on the grid. Kimi is 9th - probably the best Ferrari can do just now.........disappointing
Like you I am totally disappointed with Ferrari. Ever since Schumacher left, it has been going down a slipery slope ESPECIALLY the race planning side of things. That Stefano guy got to be sacked for his laid back nonsense he tells after a major screw up. Take last year for example, how many times massa and kimi were robbed of good points because of lousy tyre choices, pit screw ups etc.

This year looks like its heading the same way after seeing what they did at Q1. How in the world they could not send massa out when they saw his position going down and down and down, I just can't get my head around it.

Seeing that the ferrari team these days are run by half wits that lack determination, I am beginning to not bother about that team. Frankly what they need is to get Vettel in there and gain some of the never give up attitude that Schumacher brought to that team. Either Kimi or Massa have to go. Hard to say which one cause Kimi is blessed with raw speed and talent but its wasted in his laid back attitude and falling off his boat drunk. Massa is good but that killer instinct just isn't there. He is a wonder guy though.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='836151' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:02 PM
This is actually the best thing that has happened to F1 in years. Fans of F1 owe a huge debt to Brawn as he's shown what can be done on a figurative shoestring if you're smart about it. McLaren and Ferrari always threw dollars at these issues, Brawn devotes brains. Anyway, Ferrari and McLaren being (relatively speaking of course) 2nd tier teams at this point guarantees some excellent racing as the season progresses. You shouldn't be disappointed, you should be delighted! But Mr Brawn deserves an enormous amount of credit. My prediction is that his diffuser will be found to be absolutely legal - because he consulted the FIA technical board as it was being developed. Others just didn't think outside the box, and they have been outsmarted by one of the sharpest guys in the business.
You are right and I agree. I do hope they allow Brawn to keep that diffuser. The onus should be on the other teams who lacked the brains in the first place to find what they can do to redress the issue ASAP. If not, shut up and give up the 2009 championship.

While they just put all the trust on the engineers to design the cars, I can imagine Brawn started with, "Tell me you over-paid engineers, why does it have to be that way? Does the rules say it has? NO!!! Then why copy just cause the other teams do it??"

That is what makes a great man that brawn is. One just has to admire his brains. I can remember how he outstumped the best in the field when he used to change plans mid race for Michael just to get his driver to be at the rear of his opponent after the last stop. Was tough with a car that was never the best but the driver made up the difference then.

I am sure Jenson will truly benefit from Brawn's brain/tactics. Barrichello on the other hand in typical fashion will let it slip through his hands and then bitch about something that wasn't right in his car bla bla bla. Please when will they retire that clown!!!
Old 04-04-2009 | 10:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='836012
Massa didn't even make it to Q2 and is 16th on the grid. Kimi is 9th - probably the best Ferrari can do just now.........disappointing
Didn't matter where Massa qualified, he is terrible in the wet. Most likely going to rain during the race, so Massa would DNF eventually.

I am enjoying Ferrari's lackluster performance. Just feel bad for Kimi, wish he was on another car.

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='836517' date='Apr 4 2009, 06:18 PM
Like you I am totally disappointed with Ferrari. Ever since Schumacher left, it has been going down a slipery slope ESPECIALLY the race planning side of things.
You could put Schumi in that car tomorrow, he would not win the race. Fact is they don't have the pace right now. Both Kimi and Massa have their hands full driving those cars, they look all over the place.
Old 04-05-2009 | 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='836517' date='Apr 5 2009, 04:18 AM
Nope and I never have been. Not to write a 20 page reply as to why he isn't, the simple fact is, he is good but not the best. He owned his success last year to Ron Dennis, to the Mclaren car which was basically the best out there, some imaginative justifications to the stewards, his team mate for being a pussy and Team Toyota. Lets be brutally honest. He had less wins than Massa, could not hold a candle to Vettel in the brazil (in the rain) and if you used the older points scoring system 10-6-4-3-2-1 which in my opinion is better than the current one, Massa would be crowned champion. In any sport, can a runner-up (less medals) be hailed a champion? And have we seen Lewis actually get more than he can from a car thats not really working? I haven't.

Throughout the year, rest assured I will lay it into Lewis every single chance I get. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it to redress some of the bull that he and the team dish out. haha...

Like you I am totally disappointed with Ferrari. Ever since Schumacher left, it has been going down a slipery slope ESPECIALLY the race planning side of things. That Stefano guy got to be sacked for his laid back nonsense he tells after a major screw up. Take last year for example, how many times massa and kimi were robbed of good points because of lousy tyre choices, pit screw ups etc.

This year looks like its heading the same way after seeing what they did at Q1. How in the world they could not send massa out when they saw his position going down and down and down, I just can't get my head around it.

Seeing that the ferrari team these days are run by half wits that lack determination, I am beginning to not bother about that team. Frankly what they need is to get Vettel in there and gain some of the never give up attitude that Schumacher brought to that team. Either Kimi or Massa have to go. Hard to say which one cause Kimi is blessed with raw speed and talent but its wasted in his laid back attitude and falling off his boat drunk. Massa is good but that killer instinct just isn't there. He is a wonder guy though.

You are right and I agree. I do hope they allow Brawn to keep that diffuser. The onus should be on the other teams who lacked the brains in the first place to find what they can do to redress the issue ASAP. If not, shut up and give up the 2009 championship.

While they just put all the trust on the engineers to design the cars, I can imagine Brawn started with, "Tell me you over-paid engineers, why does it have to be that way? Does the rules say it has? NO!!! Then why copy just cause the other teams do it??"

That is what makes a great man that brawn is. One just has to admire his brains. I can remember how he outstumped the best in the field when he used to change plans mid race for Michael just to get his driver to be at the rear of his opponent after the last stop. Was tough with a car that was never the best but the driver made up the difference then.

I am sure Jenson will truly benefit from Brawn's brain/tactics. Barrichello on the other hand in typical fashion will let it slip through his hands and then bitch about something that wasn't right in his car bla bla bla. Please when will they retire that clown!!!
Funny thing is that most of you guys applaud Brawn for what he accomplished (which in fine by me) but there are two other teams out there that found the same solution. So does that mean that Brawn's brains or genius helped them too also? If yes than i rest my case. If no than there are 3 geniuses out there in those three teams.
Old 04-05-2009 | 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='836894' date='Apr 5 2009, 07:50 AM
Funny thing is that most of you guys applaud Brawn for what he accomplished (which in fine by me) but there are two other teams out there that found the same solution. So does that mean that Brawn's brains or genius helped them too also? If yes than i rest my case. If no than there are 3 geniuses out there in those three teams.
True Andrei, but Brawn is the only guy running a team that almost never made the start of the season, and more to the point he's now won his first two GP's as a team principal with his cars dominating in qualifying. This team had by some margin the most disrupted off-season, yet still delivered. It's not just the diffuser, it's the entire package of skills needed to run a successful team - and there again he delivered against the odds. I feel the plaudits he's getting are more than justified.

Edited to add - what a crazy race that was!!!
Old 04-05-2009 | 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='836898' date='Apr 5 2009, 05:55 PM
True Andrei, but Brawn is the only guy running a team that almost never made the start of the season, and more to the point he's now won his first two GP's as a team principal with his cars dominating in qualifying. This team had by some margin the most disrupted off-season, yet still delivered. It's not just the diffuser, it's the entire package of skills needed to run a successful team - and there again he delivered against the odds. I feel the plaudits he's getting are more than justified.

Edited to add - what a crazy race that was!!!
I understand!

Trully it was a crazy race. I'm intrigued to the near perfect Heidfeld team strategy. With only one pit stop he was able to secure third place.
Old 04-05-2009 | 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Oh man, I made the right call--not always the case. I attended the 2007 Malaysian GP and took my wife with me to the 2008 race there. The rain opened up just before the KLIA express train got us back to the central station, but we still were happy as it had been threatening rain the whole race. It's so muddy the departure would have been a literal and figurative quagmire. I decided not to go this year and I'm glad. I also missed the 05 Indy GP when six cars ran due to a last minute work commitment. The F1 gods must like me.

Anyway, what a crazy and disappointing race. Kubica stalled, then burned. Then it got wild with all the tire changes, which actually was kind of fun. I just dislike a race that ends that way. Nice that Heidfeld got a podium out of it.
Old 04-05-2009 | 01:49 PM
Members

i definitely watched a speedboat racing at sepang yesterday. pretty messy race, isn't it?

anyway, good job jenson and nick.
Old 04-07-2009 | 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Some quotes of Dr. Mario Theissen head of BMW Sauber F1 Team regarding the double diffuser :

http://www.bmw-sauber-f1.com/en/inde...#/news/~125|0/
Old 04-07-2009 | 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='839522' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:43 PM
Some quotes of Dr. Mario Theissen head of BMW Sauber F1 Team regarding the double diffuser :

http://www.bmw-sauber-f1.com/en/inde...#/news/~125|0/
It's probably me, but I couldn't find the quotes on your link that you are talking about

Quick Reply: Formula 1, 2009