Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula 1, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009 | 02:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='833853' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:55 PM
Alonso said yesterday that the world championship will be decided in Paris on 14 April. He may be right!

Scuderia Ferrari on the other hand, are now going to spend an extra 20 million Euros to build new cars for Massa and R?ikk?nen, using this "super diffuser" solution. So much for the FIA's ideas to cut spending.
they got loads of $$$ to spend
unlike some other teams
Old 04-02-2009 | 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='833856' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:07 PM
they got loads of $$$ to spend
unlike some other teams
I think you are joking.

There is no way, even for Ferrari to casually throw out the window 20 mils if they had the alternative of finding a workaround.
Old 04-02-2009 | 04:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='833853' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:55 PM
Alonso said yesterday that the world championship will be decided in Paris on 14 April. He may be right!

Scuderia Ferrari on the other hand, are now going to spend an extra 20 million Euros to build new cars for Massa and R?ikk?nen, using this "super diffuser" solution. So much for the FIA's ideas to cut spending.
FIA is run by monkeys as it appears! First Kers than this "glitch" in the regulations with the diffuser...what next?
Old 04-02-2009 | 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='833847
FIA is run by monkeys as it appears! First Kers than this "glitch" in the regulations with the diffuser...what next?
KERS is another crap idea that has only complicated the race AND added costs to the teams. It contradicts FIA cost reduction schemes. All I want to see if man and machine battle it out and not fuel stops, tyre changes, KERS, penalties, rules, etc.

I feel the problem F1 is facing is there are too many hands in the Broth. The teams, the drivers, KingPin Bernie and spank loving Max. Bernie wants his money to grow over tv rights and needs drama. FIA has to juggle between what Bernie wants and what they would like to do. When I look back over the years, F1 was way more fun and full of excitement when FIA had not given F1 TV rights over to Bernie. [my two pennies worth]

cheers
Old 04-02-2009 | 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Hamilton/Trulli inquiry to be reopened..Linky

"According to German publication Auto Motor und Sport, Hamilton told the stewards that he had slowed because he was distracted by a message on his dashboard display ? not because he was instructed by his team to give the place back to Trulli, in the (misplaced) fear that he might be penalised for his earlier pass."

and then later...

"Speaking to SPEEDtv.com as he emerged from parc ferme, Hamilton was quoted as saying: ?I was behind Trulli under the safety car, and clearly you?re not allowed to overtake under the safety car.

?But he went off in the second to last corner, he went wide on the grass ? I guess his tyres were cold ? and I was forced to go by. I slowed down as much as I could.

?I was told to let him back past, but I mean...

?I don?t know if that?s the regulations, and if it isn?t, then I should have really had third.
?"

haha.. so what is it lewis?? The distraction OR being told to let Truli by?

Moving on guys, whats your take on the diffuser issues. Who is right, who isn't? Who read the rules better? Who hasn't? And will this be another FIA screw up waiting to happen.
RBR: Diffuser row has big implications..Linky

Why can't FIA see that placing so many rules makes things complicated. Better to just keep things simple. Personally, I always viewed F1 as the pinnacle of motorsports. Who cares if the teams want to spend, spend, spend to be the best. So be it.

To the teams that can't afford and forever complaining, this is my advice to them. Go race cars in some other catergory like F3 ot A1 racing or Mini one make series. If they really want the prestige to be in F1, be prepared to spend $$$. If one can't stand the heat,... GET LOST!

Throughout the years the racing has mostly been between two or three drivers. The rest just fill the grid up for us to see more F1 girlies at the start. Even now, I don't even know what teams make up from the bottom to 2/3s up the order and I could not careless either. Seriously speaking, has anyone here supported ONLY minardi cars?

As for the diffuser issue, I think the best person to make the most out of the regulations has to be Ross Brawn. My money is on him. The other non-using teams either have to make the necessary changes or accept 2009 is going to be a wasted year for the championship. Also they ought to stop complaining and get on with it. Think out of the box... haha.

cheers
Old 04-02-2009 | 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Don't forget the teams are now largely banned from in-season testing and they have limited wind tunnel access. It will be tough for teams running the traditional diffusers to follow the lead of the others if they can't test it...
Old 04-02-2009 | 09:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='834801' date='Apr 2 2009, 08:37 PM
Don't forget the teams are now largely banned from in-season testing and they have limited wind tunnel access. It will be tough for teams running the traditional diffusers to follow the lead of the others if they can't test it...
Yup, new diffusers will have to be tested on computer simulations and during race weekend.
Old 04-03-2009 | 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Good grief. Vettel is determined to crash into a BMW, regardless of who is driving it!
Old 04-03-2009 | 04:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='834392' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:34 PM
I feel the problem F1 is facing is there are too many hands in the Broth. The teams, the drivers, KingPin Bernie and spank loving Max. Bernie wants his money to grow over tv rights and needs drama. FIA has to juggle between what Bernie wants and what they would like to do. When I look back over the years, F1 was way more fun and full of excitement when FIA had not given F1 TV rights over to Bernie. [my two pennies worth]

cheers
First off, great Post here guys. I've just relocated and waiting for my cable TV & internet to be activited at home, but when that's done I'll hope to contribute a little more here.... I actually ordered the HD Sport channel especially for Formula 1

Following on from what pigapumbu wrote above, I find that Formula 1 has simply become more complex -- for right and wrong reasons -- and in turn the viewing experience has also become more complex. If you simply try to follow F1 by tuning in once a week to watch the race, its just bland. If however you follow the developments, pre-sessions, qualifying, off screen developments/politics, you get the full picture and it becomes a lot more interesting. Its just a shame that all these changes / politics / rules have a tendancy of make a lot of the races pretty bland compared to the close side by side racing you get in WTCC or Porsche Cup... not to mention Super Bikes etc. As pigapumbu wrote above, the conflict between TV rights and FIA will continue to work against one another time and time again.

If the Braun diffuser does not get banned, I just hope the diffuser issue will make for more interesting races later in the season when the top teams catch up...
Old 04-03-2009 | 04:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='835065' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:06 PM
First off, great Post here guys. I've just relocated and waiting for my cable TV & internet to be activited at home, but when that's done I'll hope to contribute a little more here.... I actually ordered the HD Sport channel especially for Formula 1

Following on from what pigapumbu wrote above, I find that Formula 1 has simply become more complex -- for right and wrong reasons -- and in turn the viewing experience has also become more complex. If you simply try to follow F1 by tuning in once a week to watch the race, its just bland. If however you follow the developments, pre-sessions, qualifying, off screen developments/politics, you get the full picture and it becomes a lot more interesting. Its just a shame that all these changes / politics / rules have a tendancy of make a lot of the races pretty bland compared to the close side by side racing you get in WTCC or Porsche Cup... not to mention Super Bikes etc. As pigapumbu wrote above, the conflict between TV rights and FIA will continue to work against one another time and time again.

If the Braun diffuser does not get banned, I just hope the diffuser issue will make for more interesting races later in the season when the top teams catch up...
+1 on what you said.

I also find the racing thrill has gone and to compensate, I started watching MOTOGP and WTCC. Its way better to see driver skills in action than aero, drivers having to lie and other "trick" bits to gain a healthy edge. Its not right.

I am hoping FIA realise their follies (unclear rules) which has brought about the diffuser issue and allow the brawn cars to continue. Its up the others to work out how to make the best of their own designs. Either evolve it or change it completely. Brawn cars diffuser designers should not be penalised for thinking out of the box and being extra clever.

cheers

ps: is F1 on HD too? Didn't know that.

Quick Reply: Formula 1, 2009