Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='680225' date='Sep 29 2008, 12:12 AM
Sorry, been away a while.

Regarding RAW converters.

I like DPP the best for Canon personally. The latest revision is quite nice, if you haven't tried it in a while, check it out. For Nikon, nothing beats Nikon Capture. Period.

Regarding lenses.

If you aren't shooting a full frame camera, I don't really see the point in the 24-105 for the Canon. The 17-55 f2.8 EF-S is stellar. For Nikon, the 18-70DX is killer - I love mine.

D70, 18-70DX

The other alternative is the 18-200DX. Again, costly - but far better than any of the other kit lenses. While the 70-200 VR is a killer lens, I have never had issues hand-holding with my 80-200 f/2.8. The model I have can be purchased new for about $800 and it's pro-build. Just a thought. This is a handheld 100% crop with that lens (zoomed). Shot with my D70.

Regarding FPS.

I don't get this at all. Max shutter speed captures motion, not a blaze of shutter releases. Pick your moment, and 4fps should be plenty. My D70 shoots 1/8000, as does my 5D. What more do you need if you're not a professional sports shooter?

Anyone care about speedlights and lighting? If so, there are several real differences to consider.

Canon isn't progressive when it comes to wireless flash-control on the camera body. My old D70 had this in 2004. The new 5D Mk II doesn't even have this yet. However, you can control flash groups wirelessly from a Canon speedlight (Nikon permits this too). Also, x-sync is moderately important depending on the type of shooting that you do. Even with high-speed sync, some cameras can't get the shutter curtains out of the way fast enough and you see them in the shot. The D70 was an interesting beast - it had a hybrid shutter, so at high speeds it was electronic - blanking the CCD. By putting a little piece of tape over one of the hotshoe pickups, you could make the camera sync at up to 1/8000!

Canon does however have a standard PC-sync terminal on-body for traditional lighting systems, which can be helpful if you're a serious lighting person. Again though, not a huge deal since the Nikon speedlights have the PC-sync terminal.

Anyway, despite all of this, I find it easier to get pleasing flash photography with my Canon gear, although I started initially with the Nikon system. (the first shot above was lit from the side diagonally with wireless SB-800)
Ron~ some more great shots! I ended up going back to Canon. Bought the gear yesterday. This is what I got:

- Canon 50D body
- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens
- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens
- SPEEDLITE 580EX II flash
- BG-E2N battery grip

Canon and the camera shop I deal with regularly gave me a great deal!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='680233' date='Sep 28 2008, 11:20 AM
Ron~ some more great shots! I ended up going back to Canon. Bought the gear yesterday. This is what I got:

- Canon 50D body
- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens
- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens
- SPEEDLITE 580EX II flash
- BG-E2N battery grip

Canon and the camera shop I deal with regularly gave me a great deal!

WOW! Can't wait to see some beautiful 50D shots!!! Congrats!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='680241' date='Sep 29 2008, 12:30 AM
WOW! Can't wait to see some beautiful 50D shots!!! Congrats!!!
Much thanks buddy! I went to buy the Nikon but after a 30 minute discussion with the Canon rep who was at the camera shop when I got there, I left with the Canon gear in hand. Both the Canon rep and the camera shop gave me an awesome discount on the equipment. Moreover, the insurance company will be reimbursing me for my stolen gear at MSRP, so I'll get to pocket some hefty change! I just have to make some time to go out and shoot some pictures!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='680225' date='Sep 28 2008, 11:12 AM
Regarding lenses.

If you aren't shooting a full frame camera, I don't really see the point in the 24-105 for the Canon. The 17-55 f2.8 EF-S is stellar. For Nikon, the 18-70DX is killer - I love mine.

D70, 18-70DX

The other alternative is the 18-200DX. Again, costly - but far better than any of the other kit lenses. While the 70-200 VR is a killer lens, I have never had issues hand-holding with my 80-200 f/2.8. The model I have can be purchased new for about $800 and it's pro-build. Just a thought. This is a handheld 100% crop with that lens (zoomed). Shot with my D70.

Regarding FPS.

I don't get this at all. Max shutter speed captures motion, not a blaze of shutter releases. Pick your moment, and 4fps should be plenty. My D70 shoots 1/8000, as does my 5D. What more do you need if you're not a professional sports shooter?
How much PP and sharpening did you do with those pics? With Photo Shop I presume? I struggle with PP sharpening, getting it super sharp yet natural.

I had the 80-200. I took great pics with it but started to have focus ring problems. It was repaired but I think it lost some of its sharpness. I then had color fringe issues with it on the D200 and traded for the 70-200 VR.

Re FPS, I shoot lots of sports pics, mostly driving schools and some sports. Given the speed of pitching and hitting, A higher FPS gives more shots to show the motion. The below night baseball pics pushed the limits of the D200 high ISO but illustrate that.

Although camera responsiveness is important as is shutter speed (unless you want motion blur).

Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7554cs.jpgCanon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7555cs.jpg
Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7556cs.jpgCanon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7557cs.jpg
Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7561s.jpgCanon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7563s.jpg
Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7570s.jpgCanon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies-nk2_7598cs.jpg
Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='680284' date='Sep 28 2008, 12:54 PM
How much PP and sharpening did you do with those pics? With Photo Shop I presume? I struggle with PP sharpening, getting it super sharp yet natural.
I've just been playing with sharpness tools. I think the problem is my unsharp mask settings. Normal sharpen filters seem to work OK.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Does anyone here use Aperture instead of Photoshop and/or other Adobe software? I currently use Aperture and I was wondering if I need to get into something like CS4 (which is really expensive) when it is released.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

The best Photoshop sharpening action I know is one that Bob Atkins (old time Apple dude) developed.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/

It creates a pretty advanced mask, and sharpens areas that have detail, and doesn't sharpen areas that don't contain detail. I don't think that either of the images I posted were sharpened with it since I did them before I had developed my PS skills that much. The first image was sharpened rather crudely - the second image was sharpened using a custom filter designed to perform convolution sharpening with a custom kernel.

Sharpening is a difficult thing to master, and printing makes it even harder since your print files should look oversharpened. I went to a week-long digital fine art printing workshop that was put on at Santa Fe Workshops. It helps to get some good instruction.

Bob's action does something akin to this process.

http://www.digital-flight.com/thebigeye/HP...%20wavelets.htm

I actually incorporate convolution sharpening with the Bob Atkins action nowadays. This is what I can achieve with it. I think it's pretty natural and artifact-free.

100% crops.

Unsharpened - RAW

Sharpened - RAW

Using the Bob Atkins action with convolution sharpening custom filter (applied to the luminance channel in L.A.B. colorspace)

Remember that you only sharpen once, and you sharpen for the final output resolution. So, resize - then sharpen once at the very end. The only exception is the "local contrast enhancement" trick, which uses a large radius unsharp mask to heighten contrast in an image.

I also occasionally use the "History Brush" to brush away some or all of the sharpening applied to certain items. Sometimes even a good mask can allow certain things to get oversharpened.

I think I "history brushed" the earrings and her teeth in this picture. Possibly some of the other jewelry if memory serves.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Haha wow! this topic is hot. I didnt go thru the 8 pages but I was shown this video from a friend sometime last week.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...;articleID=2086
Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='680291' date='Sep 29 2008, 01:26 AM
Does anyone here use Aperture instead of Photoshop and/or other Adobe software? I currently use Aperture and I was wondering if I need to get into something like CS4 (which is really expensive) when it is released.
there is 2 software you need to use for photo retouching.
1 Abdobe Lightroom 2.0
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
2 Aboube photoshop which you have.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family/

light room is to fix the shot from the raw
photoshop is to retouch and put SE on to the photo
that the basic but there is alot more fun in both software as you use it more.

I have been using photoshop from day 1 when it was out just for the mac 1990 Photoshop 1.0 and itis still the best in the world as most of you will know.
I will be getting the Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended upgrade. This is part of my life just like the E60

For lightroom, well if you done developing before then you know why you will need this.
I did B&W developing back at collage and it was very fun.
I know I will never get a chance to do that again but until now that lightroom is out itis almost the same thing but on a computer.

Quick Reply: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies