F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by higher' post='1063646' date='Nov 27 2009, 01:59 PM
I am afraid it is you, my friend, that really does not demonstrate any understanding of how the car design business works.
I'm really looking forward your next post where you explain how you have gained this understanding of how the design business works.

Oh, and it's also regarded as good manners to have an updated signature with some basic info, eg in which part of the world you live.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by danzanchy' post='1063650' date='Nov 27 2009, 02:27 PM
i guess my favorite part about the f10 is that it wont make my e60 look dated and i wont regret buying mine at its "end of life" period
I like the F10 a lot, but I am also glad that the E60/61 will remain unique and groundbreaking - an instant classic :-)

The one thing I am particularly glad about is that no other car has the same or similar headlights as the E60 at night - everyone will always be able to instantly recognize an E60 in their rear-view mirror at night and learn to clean up the road or RUN FOR THEIR LIVES
Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='1061023' date='Nov 23 2009, 06:03 PM
I've been waiting months, even years, with many of you to see the F10 revealed, so today was a big day. It certainly looks like a very capable vehicle but I can't help but be disappointed with the styling, which admittedly is subjective. Say what you want about Bangle, BMW was stuck in a serious same jelly bean shape different size rut before he took the design helm, and I for one loved much of his work, primarily the E60.

Seeing the post bangle 3, 7, and now 5, it seems to me that BMW is back on the same jelly bean different size design track again. Heck I can hardly tell the difference between the three without a ruler. Kinda makes me glad I didn't wait for the F10 before selling my E60 and moving on...it doesn't move me.
I fully agree.

I'm really disappointed in the exterior styling and just stuck by how much it looks like a 3 series with a high and chiseled nose. What am I missing? Seems also like the Asian brands and the new Infiniti M.

Given the high financial stakes in the auto industry nowadays, BMW is playing it safe on the styling front. This is understandable but longer term I think BMW becomes increasingly vulnerable to the likes of Audi, Merc and the rest. Is BMW becoming Audi and Audi becoming BMW?

IMHO, the E60 was a unique vehicle in its day and we'll remember as a time when BMW was cutting edge or at least trying to be. I'm sure the interior will not disappoint but it seems to be moving to the Audi and Lexus side of things. I'll miss that Germanic and understated futuristic design of the E60, albeit with some of the lackluster parts and I-drive foibles. As for how good the new interior will be, I'm not overwhelmed with the new 7. Its nice and unmemorable. In basic trim, its slightly ah, cheap?

That said, the E60 looked somewhat spooky until I saw it in the flesh which sold me right away. So maybe the F10 will be good. But it will liklely not be great. On the plus side, the lower CG of the F10 is really good news and hopefully the F10 reclaims the handling crown by a wider margin than the E60 initial held and lost. If this isn't the case, Audi and Merc offerings will look equally attractive and BMW will have its hands full. Audi is really on the move with Engine development and handling. Of course sports sedan formula is now fully understood by most automakers, including GM. In some respects, the glory days of German sport sedans are over and the new vision of the "must have car" is yet to emerge.

Lets hope the car looks better on the road than from the launch pics. And lets hope the new 3 series isn't as conservative. Looks like I'll pass for a while on the f10 and wait for the 3 series. Or just address the Porsche 911 issue I have.

CVT
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

i read somewhere an interview w/ bangle and he explained that the rear of the 6/7 at the time they came out was for performance and a lowed drag coefficient, not necessarily for style

and yes the 3 series is their bread and butter not the 5
Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Have to agree with the OP.

I just need time to decide: Is this a Big 3 or a Little 7 or is better yet: a Big 3 front attached to a Little 7 Backend

I much prefer my e60 to anything that BMW has right now.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='1063855' date='Nov 27 2009, 05:01 PM

I just need time to decide: Is this a Big 3 or a Little 7 or is better yet: a Big 3 front attached to a Little 7 Backend
With an X5 interior
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='1063673
not necessarily for style

and yes the 3 series is their bread and butter not the 5
If you watch the unveiling again, he said that the 5series was.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I'm reserving complete judgment until I see a good selection of body kits. To be honest, the plain Jane non-sport/Mtech e60 is pretty plain brown wrapper. I'm willing to give it some time.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='1061085' date='Nov 24 2009, 01:50 AM
as for me - i like the fact that they came back to driver-oriented interior. also, it does look conservative yet aggressive. not the car that will get all attention from the first look but definitely the car that will grow on people. i liked and still like e34 and e39. i think f10 will be as successful
+1

I am also sure that the F10 will have a look of it's own as you see it real. It is not as demanding as E60, but it looks good with standard wheels, without M-Sport package and so on. Try to remember how E60 looked like with standard 16" wheels and standard interior... For me it was not something I wanted to buy after having had a couple of E34s and E39s. And still, I am currently having my third E60 and I have somehow learnt to even like the look of the car - but only with 18" wheels, M-Sport package and accessories worth of 20k? .

I am sure that the F10 will grow in me and I also have a feeling that it will bring a lot of customers from MB and Audi owners as well. Just look at Audi A6, it is so boring in design and the current W212 E-Class with it's awful design both in exterior and in interior.

Everything above is my personal opinion, but we will see how things will proceed

Best regards from Finland,

Jukka - looking forward to ordering a F10 528iA in January 2011
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='1063855' date='Nov 27 2009, 07:01 PM

I much prefer my e60 to anything that BMW has right now.
Self-satisfaction is great, but I have a feeling that the base 2011 F10 will turn more heads than the base E60 did back in 2004....starting with mine. My only problems with the F10 are wheel choices and the hood design.

Quick Reply: New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo