F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by higher' post='1063236' date='Nov 26 2009, 02:43 PM
Well that's pretty obvious and it must be pretty apparent to you, that BMW would not fire their old design lead, install a new new person and not let them have some say in the design of probably BMW's most important model.

As I said in my previous posts, the F10 was bound to be conservative after Bangle's screwed-up designs. BMW executive would have obviously told Van Hooydonk to do "what he could" to improve Bangles F10 design, starting with the removal of the "Bangle Butt".. (but we will never know what the pure Bangle F10 might have been - thank goodness).

In a couple of years BMW's design confidence will be restored under Hooydonk, he a is truly brilliant and inspiring car designer as well as an acomplished industrial designer leading deisgns for Nokia, Siemans, Ottis, Addidas etc. Quite a different resume from Bangle, whose only claim to fame was working for GM and Fiat, companies with vary different design objectives to BMW.
The above post is idiotic.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by higher' post='1063236' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:43 PM
Well that's pretty obvious and it must be pretty apparent to you, that BMW would not fire their old design lead, install a new new person and not let them have some say in the design of probably BMW's most important model.

As I said in my previous posts, the F10 was bound to be conservative after Bangle's screwed-up designs. BMW executive would have obviously told Van Hooydonk to do "what he could" to improve Bangles F10 design, starting with the removal of the "Bangle Butt".. (but we will never know what the pure Bangle F10 might have been - thank goodness).

In a couple of years BMW's design confidence will be restored under Hooydonk, he a is truly brilliant and inspiring car designer as well as an acomplished industrial designer leading deisgns for Nokia, Siemans, Ottis, Addidas etc. Quite a different resume from Bangle, whose only claim to fame was working for GM and Fiat, companies with vary different design objectives to BMW.
Oh, this explains why the F10 looks like a kitchen appliance designed by a sneaker company

BTW check out bmwism.com for some solid info (wikipedia can be vague on some things )

Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1063236' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:43 PM

You really don't understand, do you... The Bangle Butt was, of course, most prominent on the E65 - which was a Van Hooydonk-led project... As design chief, Bangle set the tone and thus what he expected from his designers, but the Bangle Butt itself was actually penned by Van Hooydonk...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1063531' date='Nov 27 2009, 01:34 AM
You really don't understand, do you... The Bangle Butt was, of course, most prominent on the E65 - which was a Van Hooydonk-led project... As design chief, Bangle set the tone and thus what he expected from his designers, but the Bangle Butt itself was actually penned by Van Hooydonk...
If he doesn't understand it after this, I think we should just let him keep his opinion
Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1061654' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:24 PM
Not that this is a bad thing, but the 5 for me should be the segment rule breaker.
+1,000,000

The 5 series was ALWAYS BMW's heart. It is THE car that everyone would think about when saying BMW. It was the unique car of BMW
Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Contributors

And in fear of sounding repetitive, what everybody else say here is that you don't know what you're talking about...

You are probably the type of person that made BMW revert back to the old fart design : bland, uninspiring and one size fits all .
Old 11-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spiros' post='1063626' date='Nov 27 2009, 05:14 AM
And in fear of sounding repetitive, what everybody else say here is that you don't know what you're talking about...

You are probably the type of person that made BMW revert back to the old fart design : bland, uninspiring and one size fits all .
...and you're about to pay for it

apologies for my bad humor
Old 11-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1063531' date='Nov 27 2009, 01:34 AM

I am afraid it is you, my friend, that really does not demonstrate any understanding of how the car design business works.

Hooydonk was doing what his boss wanted him to do, just as any manager would ultimately ensure his choices persisted over those of his subordinates. I suspect if Bangle had asked Hooydonk to pen square wheels he would have done so. it does not follow that the design was his, as you believe.

Now Bangle has moved on to bigger and better things, Hooydonk can express his own design philisophy, without the direction of Bangle.

Hooydonk, was said to be Bangles protege, an act that clearly served him well given his new job, but it was clearly an act of a ambitious person given the design of the F10.

There are a few 'You Tube' video's of Hooydonk talking about his designs, they are quite informative. He is an extremely talented man.

For those of you how don't like the new design. It does not mater to BMW. They are not interested in 'churn' only new customer sales, the new car will have them in plentyful supply.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

i'm trying to "reserve judgement" on the f10 until i actually see one modded but i can't help but think that bmw screwed up this time around... the e60 is, in my opinion, the best looking bmw ever made and i too had high hopes for the f10. I'm sure the m5 is going to look amazing however, i'm pretty confident that bmw hasn't forgot how to make an aggressive vehicle

i guess my favorite part about the f10 is that it wont make my e60 look dated and i wont regret buying mine at its "end of life" period
Old 11-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='1063543' date='Nov 27 2009, 07:56 AM
The 5 series was ALWAYS BMW's heart. It is THE car that everyone would think about when saying BMW. It was the unique car of BMW
Actually, the 3-series is known to be the "BMW's heart" - especially in Europe, just as four cylinder engines where "typical BMW" (hence the four cylinder shape of the BMW HQ in Munich).

Admittedly, things change over time and there are of course different views in different parts of the world.

Quick Reply: New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo