F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I'm sure the performance of the new F10 will more than sway many who are on the fence about the styling....in other words we will all probably be driving one of these fairly soon!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

It's not even a question of driving it. I'm sure it's a great car. I just can't get over the return to the 'same car three different sizes' approach to BMW sedans currently. I liked it when the 3, 5 and 7 could be differentiated without a tape measure. I also really hate what the European front bumper regulations have done to styling, BMWs in particular. The noses are so blunt that there is almost no front bumper.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1061453' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:14 AM
BTW to those of you who think Bangle was behind the design of the E60, allow me to correct you please, it was in fact a designer named Davide Arcangeli who penned the shape of the E60. Tragically, he passed away from leukemia before any production E60's ever existed. This F10 is a testament to the old adage that "God takes back the ones he loves first". RIP Davide Arcangeli.
V, it is indeed true that David Arcangeli was the design lead for the E60, but he was working under Bangle's instruction and direction. Not to take away from David's immense work, but Bangle is correctly associated with the design as it was effectively his vision that David was realizing. Given the lead time for car production, this F10 design will have been signed-off a while back so this is also one that was done under Bangle's watch. In fact, my own view is that BMW's return to design conservatism (which I believe is diametrically opposed to Bangle's overall philosophy) is really what led Bangle to part from BMW. I like the F10 design, but where the E60 was revolutionary the F10 is evolutionary, and it's a very conservative evolution at that. I love the new technology that's been packaged into the F10, but I can't help thinking BMW has missed an opportunity to reinvent the sector once again. The E60 proved beyond doubt that BMW buyers will embrace a different design, and I think the segment is poorer for the F10 being arguably a little bland and conformist following as it does on the heels of the car that broke the mold.

As I said in another post, with the F10, BMW now essentially offers one sausage in three different lengths in the 3,5 and 7 series. Not that this is a bad thing, but the 5 for me should be the segment rule breaker.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1061640' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm sure the performance of the new F10 will more than sway many who are on the fence about the styling....in other words we will all probably be driving one of these fairly soon!
Correct!

Mak
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Members

I'm on board here with your opinion Rodney as well.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1061654' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:24 PM
V, it is indeed true that David Arcangeli was the design lead for the E60, but he was working under Bangle's instruction and direction. Not to take away from David's immense work, but Bangle is correctly associated with the design as it was effectively his vision that David was realizing. Given the lead time for car production, this F10 design will have been signed-off a while back so this is also one that was done under Bangle's watch. In fact, my own view is that BMW's return to design conservatism (which I believe is diametrically opposed to Bangle's overall philosophy) is really what led Bangle to part from BMW. I like the F10 design, but where the E60 was revolutionary the F10 is evolutionary, and it's a very conservative evolution at that. I love the new technology that's been packaged into the F10, but I can't help thinking BMW has missed an opportunity to reinvent the sector once again. The E60 proved beyond doubt that BMW buyers will embrace a different design, and I think the segment is poorer for the F10 being arguably a little bland and conformist following as it does on the heels of the car that broke the mold.

As I said in another post, with the F10, BMW now essentially offers one sausage in three different lengths in the 3,5 and 7 series. Not that this is a bad thing, but the 5 for me should be the segment rule breaker.
Excellent post.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1061640
Excellent post.
Yes, it wasn't bad
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

I still don't like the F10. Hopefully with time it would grow into me.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='1061023' date='Nov 23 2009, 06:03 PM
I've been waiting months, even years, with many of you to see the F10 revealed, so today was a big day. It certainly looks like a very capable vehicle but I can't help but be disappointed with the styling, which admittedly is subjective. Say what you want about Bangle, BMW was stuck in a serious same jelly bean shape different size rut before he took the design helm, and I for one loved much of his work, primarily the E60.

Seeing the post bangle 3, 7, and now 5, it seems to me that BMW is back on the same jelly bean different size design track again. Heck I can hardly tell the difference between the three without a ruler. Kinda makes me glad I didn't wait for the F10 before selling my E60 and moving on...it doesn't move me.
If you want ?bling? get a Dodge.

This F10 will be a design classic, a perfect blend of coupe, sedan, and aggressive styling. A return to classic European design.

Bangle (Bungle) was fired for screwing up the BMW design authenticity, he hasn?t worked since and there?s a reason why.

Nothing of his design philosophy remains in BMW, they have completely removed him and his screwed-up ideas, for good.

The F10 hood is flawed, it will be replaced. The interior is a mess, both will be redesigned during an F10 refresh in 15.-2.0 years time.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by higher' post='1062602' date='Nov 25 2009, 11:35 AM
If you want ?bling? get a Dodge.

This F10 will be a design classic, a perfect blend of coupe, sedan, and aggressive styling. A return to classic European design.

Bangle (Bungle) was fired for screwing up the BMW design authenticity, he hasn?t worked since and there?s a reason why.

Nothing of his design philosophy remains in BMW, they have completely removed him and his screwed-up ideas, for good.

The F10 hood is flawed, it will be replaced. The interior is a mess, both will be redesigned during an F10 refresh in 15.-2.0 years time.
Given production and development lead times, car designs are finalized well before any vehicle ever makes its public debut.

Thus, it should have been reasonably apparent to you that Bangle was still at the helm when the F10 was designed, and when the F10 design was approved by BMW management.

Quick Reply: New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo