F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I've been waiting months, even years, with many of you to see the F10 revealed, so today was a big day. It certainly looks like a very capable vehicle but I can't help but be disappointed with the styling, which admittedly is subjective. Say what you want about Bangle, BMW was stuck in a serious same jelly bean shape different size rut before he took the design helm, and I for one loved much of his work, primarily the E60.

Seeing the post bangle 3, 7, and now 5, it seems to me that BMW is back on the same jelly bean different size design track again. Heck I can hardly tell the difference between the three without a ruler. Kinda makes me glad I didn't wait for the F10 before selling my E60 and moving on...it doesn't move me.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Members

I am with you on this man. I'm sure it'll be a great car to drive but it is a disappointment when it comes to the styling. I feel that it lost the sportiness that e60 had. I have been waiting eagerly for the unveiling and I have to say that I am disappointed.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

as for me - i like the fact that they came back to driver-oriented interior. also, it does look conservative yet aggressive. not the car that will get all attention from the first look but definitely the car that will grow on people. i liked and still like e34 and e39. i think f10 will be as successful
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

When I first laid eyes on the "new" E60 545i in 2004, I thought to myself, "WOW!!! That thing looks awesome!!!"

After seeing the official pics of the new F10, I thought to myself, "It's ok ... but it doesn't stir my soul." The words "jelly" and "bean" did pop in my head. And what's with all the edging on the hood? (The pre-LCI hood of the E90 is gorgeous; then came the LCI E90 with the "edgy" hood ... UGGGH!!) The F10 interior however is beautiful! But I don't like the steering wheel design (ala. F01 7-series) and the missing handbrake that is now replaced with an electronic switch.

Looks like I'll be keeping my E90 330i for quite a while. Maybe the F10 will grow on me and I'll be back in a 5 in several years ... perhaps if the 2015 LCI F10 looks a bit better. Not a bad attempt for the 6th generation, but it doesn't excite me like the E39 to E60 transition did in 2004.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah - I'm exited about the unveiling but also think BMW's playing it safe this time round...
as much as the Bangle era was hated and then people came around, it really set the BMW apart from other vehicles...
Although beautiful (esp inside), this 5er lacks the head turning innovative style of the E60...

All that said - I still love BMW and won't be surprised if I'm driving this new F10 or an F01 within the next three years
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I could not agree more with the original poster. The F10 is soooooooooooo BORING. It looks like a Japanese or Korean knock-off of a BMW. I can't believe that it looks like a 3 Series. The 3 Series was Uber Conservative. It looks like a bigger version of the 3 Series from 6 years ago. Now they just copied that design. BMW is clearly in decline once again and Audi is ascending. I will never buy or lease the F10 now. It is such a timid design. BMW did fantastic when Chris Bangle was Design Director. It was a joy to see each new BMW creation. They were all innovative, creative and fresh. BMW has decided that bland is best. Why would I want I bland, gutless, boring design in an expensive BMW? Evidently this is what you get when a bunch of conservative, old men on the board of directors micromanage the BMW design effort. They have designed a car for the nursing home crowd. The BMW Welt is such a bold modern building. It makes no sense to take delivery of the frumpy new F10 in that hip, innovative building. How can the same company be responsible for both? BMW must have hired elderly car designers laid off from MB and turned them loose on the F10.

There are many fine wonderful, innovative cars in the marketplace. Unfortunately the F10 is not one. It is bye BMW for me when my lease is up in 2010. I care too much about design to be seen in a bland, expensive BMW that looks like it just got off the boat from Korea.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I agree with most statements regard the F10's design being boring and bland - and this from a guy who loves the F01 and the LCI E90! I was hoping that BMW would surprise me and that F10 would be more exciting than the E60, but I now realize once again that miracles never happen. Well, BMW thanks for telling me "there's no Santa" before I even saw the MSRPs. That E Class coupe with AMG pack looks hot and thank God the CLS has not yet been destroyed by a re-design either, so there are other cars for me to love when I'm ready to make my next purchase... unless, the F10 ends up being a super-competent driver... but in my experience, to paraphrase the popular saying, "if it looks and smells like a Lexus, it drives like one too".

BTW to those of you who think Bangle was behind the design of the E60, allow me to correct you please, it was in fact a designer named Davide Arcangeli who penned the shape of the E60. Tragically, he passed away from leukemia before any production E60's ever existed. This F10 is a testament to the old adage that "God takes back the ones he loves first". RIP Davide Arcangeli.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Now if I can just find a totalled F10 with an intact interior so that I can put an E60 body on it....
Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2004 Artic silver Alpine 2.150 + Earthquake SSW

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1061505' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:33 AM
Now if I can just find a totalled F10 with an intact interior so that I can put an E60 body on it....
I pretty much agree with all of you.
Roleez, me too, the first time I saw an E60, I was inmediately surprised by such a different and awesome design and styling. With the F10, not at all. It seems to me like a bigger 3, that's all.

Perhaps it will grow on me, I don't know.

But I look at the bright side: with the F10 out there, there are people who will be selling their E60's. I'm already thinking of a E60 550 or perhaps even a M5.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='1061298' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:02 AM
I could not agree more with the original poster. The F10 is soooooooooooo BORING. It looks like a Japanese or Korean knock-off of a BMW. I can't believe that it looks like a 3 Series. The 3 Series was Uber Conservative. It looks like a bigger version of the 3 Series from 6 years ago. Now they just copied that design. BMW is clearly in decline once again and Audi is ascending. I will never buy or lease the F10 now. It is such a timid design. BMW did fantastic when Chris Bangle was Design Director. It was a joy to see each new BMW creation. They were all innovative, creative and fresh. BMW has decided that bland is best. Why would I want I bland, gutless, boring design in an expensive BMW? Evidently this is what you get when a bunch of conservative, old men on the board of directors micromanage the BMW design effort. They have designed a car for the nursing home crowd. The BMW Welt is such a bold modern building. It makes no sense to take delivery of the frumpy new F10 in that hip, innovative building. How can the same company be responsible for both? BMW must have hired elderly car designers laid off from MB and turned them loose on the F10.

There are many fine wonderful, innovative cars in the marketplace. Unfortunately the F10 is not one. It is bye BMW for me when my lease is up in 2010. I care too much about design to be seen in a bland, expensive BMW that looks like it just got off the boat from Korea.
I take it then you will not be buying a new F10 Personally I think it looks ok nothing radical I will grant you but I will reserve judgement till I see and drive one "in the flesh" as it were.

Mak

Quick Reply: New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo