F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by higher' post='1067853' date='Dec 4 2009, 01:43 PM
All this talk of the F10 being conservative and changing their E60's for Audi etc.

You know you will end-up buying the F10 in the long run.

Once it has nice paint, better wheels and the m sport kit on it, it iwll look like it's doing 100mph standing still. And the technology in the car will be leaps ahead of the competition.

In the end BMW doesn't car if you like the F10 or not because for everyone of 'you' who moves to Audi, there will be another buyer attraced to the new BMW styling. And from what I can see it is mostly liked.

What you are expressing is not the start of a revolution, and a large mass of poeple turning away from the F10, but a few hard core E60 styling fans lamenting after something well past its sell-by date.

This is the new BMW design direction and if you don't like it then you are probably better off with another manufacturer, where you will pretty quickly realise how poortly these car are manufactured and designed compared to BMW.
I don't think I would rate Lexus, MB, or Audi as poorly manufactured. They may not all be drivers cars (and that can be debated as well), but hardly poorly made or designed. The new direction of BMW is a good one. But the styling changes that made the 5 series stand out have been muted by the changes made to the 3 and 7, and you can see that clearly in the new 5.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VW2545i' post='1067943' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:13 PM
I don't think I would rate Lexus, MB, or Audi as poorly manufactured. They may not all be drivers cars (and that can be debated as well), but hardly poorly made or designed. The new direction of BMW is a good one. But the styling changes that made the 5 series stand out have been muted by the changes made to the 3 and 7, and you can see that clearly in the new 5.
Before I purchased my E61 I drove an Audi A6 S line, what a pile of crap, driving dynamics were all over the place and the cabin road noise was unbelievale. For a car that was probably benchmarked against the E60 it was very poor.

The only car that came close was a VW Phaeton, amazing car, if you can afford to fuel it and don't want to go around any curves in the road at speed.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

The new styling is elegant and sporty. A very nice design. But it is at the same time bland and easily forgotten. The E60 can never be mistaken for any other car on the road, whereas this car will be easily forgettable, which is unfortunate. I do wish they added more of a unique flair to this car, as it stands now, it seems it will get lost inbetween the 7 series and the upcoming 3 series that will surely share the same styling elements as this car and the 7 series.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by VW2545i' post='1067720' date='Dec 4 2009, 09:41 AM
But had the F10 come out in 04 there would have been no 7 or 3 for it to replicate. It would have been unique. The F10 is no longer that, it looks like the sum parts of it company. X5 interior, 7 series nose and a 3 series rear, with a bit of LS 460 thrown in. The E60 was amazing for it's time due to radical design changes that you were just emphasizing, but unfortunately are no longer unique to just the 5 now. Granted it may have alienated some folk, but I think it also brought in a lot of MB buyers. We bought our based on this. But the majority will buy the F10 because it has the badge and they want the status regardless of how it looks....
Speaking only for myself, I got my E60 550 for the same reason that I leased my E39 540 -- the way the car drives. Looks do matter to me but not as much as how the car drives. I happen to think that the F10 is a good looking car and that it will look sensational with a M Tech kit and fly wheels.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1069297' date='Dec 7 2009, 12:19 PM
Speaking only for myself, I got my E60 550 for the same reason that I leased my E39 540 -- the way the car drives. Looks do matter to me but not as much as how the car drives. I happen to think that the F10 is a good looking car and that it will look sensational with a M Tech kit and fly wheels.
Completely agree !
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

I agree with the points of view on this topic. I am saddened by the departure of the bangle design . BMW really stood apart with the entry of the e60. The F10 is really a disappointment in the design aspect . That being said, if you read up on the new technology the F10 is offering, I must say I can't wait to drive it . Perhaps with an M-tech or whatever it will be called, add ons, along with sharp wheels each of you will be able to put their own spin on how the car should look.
Like its been said before, we all choose to drive BMW because of the dynamics it brings to the driver. The fact that the e60 was revolutionary was a bonus. Then came the add ons, and we really went crazy!! Now that we've seen the F10 and made our comments, let's now drive this thing and see if we can get past the design and enjoy the new technology. Perhaps by then the new add ons will help us gravitate toward taking ownership and putting our own signature on our new F10.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='1069320' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:46 AM
I agree with the points of view on this topic. I am saddened by the departure of the bangle design . BMW really stood apart with the entry of the e60. The F10 is really a disappointment in the design aspect . That being said, if you read up on the new technology the F10 is offering, I must say I can't wait to drive it . Perhaps with an M-tech or whatever it will be called, add ons, along with sharp wheels each of you will be able to put their own spin on how the car should look.
Like its been said before, we all choose to drive BMW because of the dynamics it brings to the driver. The fact that the e60 was revolutionary was a bonus. Then came the add ons, and we really went crazy!! Now that we've seen the F10 and made our comments, let's now drive this thing and see if we can get past the design and enjoy the new technology. Perhaps by then the new add ons will help us gravitate toward taking ownership and putting our own signature on our new F10.
+1 to all that

its like my e90, gawd! a face only a father could love, but damn its fun to drive!!! ima proud parent
Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

If you check internet forums of other car makers, most people actually prefer the F10 over E60. I totally agree that E60 is a unique design, which at the time scared a lot of people to buy the remaining E39.

But one has to look at the design in the perspective of the auto business, and BMW - after 8 years of in the spot light for being out there with their car designs (regardless of the sales success), it's just not possible for them to launch the F10 with a new direction of design. After all, how many new design philosophies can you put out? F10 obviously continues to use surface flaming from Bangle design school, to me that's a good idea, and the execution of the car is very solid.

If you design something just for the sake of looking different, that will get old pretty soon. Look at how the old Z4 fared. And the infamous Bangle butt on the E65 7 series - and how quickly the taillights got changed.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

when the e60 came out, it took me 2+ yrs to accept the new design. i dont know how long it'll take me this time to adapt to this bland f10!! dissapointment is an understatement here. just my $0.02. looks like i'll be stick'n w/ my car for quite some time.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

While I feel the E60's interior is a bit plain, I would much rather have a plain interior and a good-looking exterior rather than a good interior and a car that reminds me of what a Maserati Quattroporte would look like if cars aged and it was ninety. I'm still reserving full judgement because I was wrong in assuming the F10 was going to look basically like the GT, and I was wrong. I'm waiting, now, for the M-sport kit to come out on these cars or just simply the M5. Because admit it, our cars look good, but they look amazing with the M bumpers.

Quick Reply: New F10 revealed: back to the "same jelly bean different size&quo