E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xd, 2006, 231hp 4-wheel-drive, Monaco metal blue, Dakota beige leather interior, fine wood trim, extended lighting package, adaptive Headlights, headlight cleaning system, PDC, extended automatic air conditioning, ProNav, ipod connection, skibag, electric engine/interior heating, thb200 sub, 19" M6 wheels, Schmiedmann frontspoiler lip, tyre control, servotronic

Self levelling story still runs...

I change both pipes from compressor (both are in bad condition) few month ago.
System work few days well and no messages any more.
But then messages starts again. It looks that pipes are ok and system dosnt leak
but the compressor is out of specs and cant pump up fast enought.

Mine works so that in the morning (when car has stand over night) when you start
it message pop up. But if you wait when message pop up 1-2 minutes message disappear.
And after that message dosnt comes back after when car has stand enought.

Yes yes i need to change the compressor and schould done a long time ago but
it is so that there have been so many other projects / places where that ~1000eur has
gone many times.

This compressor problem is straight BMW manufacturing failure.
If the factory has done their job well and respect BMW Owners all cars wich has this
problem schould goes in the warranty.
Here is the place that bmw owners cant give points to BMW.

In my case the car driven under 100Kkm when system failures. My opinion is that E61 is such expensive
car that air suspension system should works more than 100000 before brokes.

But without that suspension failure E61 is really good car and i have been extra happy
when driven it almost two years !
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Tira-1:

Check out the eBay link that was posted a page back. You can get the OEM compressor and other parts from Germany, for about 450 Euros DELIVERED to Finland.

Or send an e-mail to:

"Oliver Miessler" <vollmondschwimmer@yahoo.de>

This is their web site:

http://www.druckluft-federung.de

I have been in touch with them by e-mail now 5 times, and I am ready to place my order.

Installation takes 30 minutes.

I am going to do this.

Replacing the hose is just a waste of money (as you found out) because it is the compressor that has failed.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xd, 2006, 231hp 4-wheel-drive, Monaco metal blue, Dakota beige leather interior, fine wood trim, extended lighting package, adaptive Headlights, headlight cleaning system, PDC, extended automatic air conditioning, ProNav, ipod connection, skibag, electric engine/interior heating, thb200 sub, 19" M6 wheels, Schmiedmann frontspoiler lip, tyre control, servotronic

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
Tira-1:

Check out the eBay link that was posted a page back. You can get the OEM compressor and other parts from Germany, for about 450 Euros DELIVERED to Finland.

Or send an e-mail to:

"Oliver Miessler" <vollmondschwimmer@yahoo.de>

This is their web site:

http://www.druckluft-federung.de

I have been in touch with them by e-mail now 5 times, and I am ready to place my order.

Installation takes 30 minutes.

I am going to do this.

Replacing the hose is just a waste of money (as you found out) because it is the compressor that has failed.

Thanks for your info Patrick:

The compressor with 450eur include the delivery sounds really good and will be much better deal.

Tell how you manage with that new compressor after you get it and how you handle with the installation.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by tira-1
Thanks for your info Patrick:

The compressor with 450eur include the delivery sounds really good and will be much better deal.

Tell how you manage with that new compressor after you get it and how you handle with the installation.
I plan to take it to Metro Auto and have them install it. I need to get my brake fluid changed and katsastus tarkastus at the same time.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
I plan to take it to Metro Auto and have them install it. I need to get my brake fluid changed and katsastus tarkastus at the same time.
katsastus tarkastus, do I have one of those on my E61
Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rasmus
katsastus tarkastus, do I have one of those on my E61
Lol. It is something that my service department does for 20? as a pre-check, before I take my E61 in for the annual vehicle inspection. They also give the paper work for the pollution check in advance, so I don't have to pay extra for that to the inspection/thief company.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Members

Hi

Just a quick update since last post, Olivier in Germany kindly sent a replacement unit over a few days after contacting him which I then swapped. Here it gets interesting, the replacement did not run either, so I suspect a relay or switch or control module fault.

What with the snow, travel for work and workload, this is going to have a wait until next week now.

I've sent the replacement back since is not needed, but does anyone else have any ideas on best course of action?

It's not that I won't go to a dealer but the last 2 months have seen expenses with winter tyres, airbag control module, compressor failure and I needto draw a line somewhere..

Thanks

C
Old 12-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT (E61)

I had this problem off and on for a couple of months. Strangely, it seemed to be worse when the car was loaded down a bit with kayaks and/or camping equipment. Usually the car would 'fix' itself the next day, or possibly even just parked for a few minutes or hours.

The first time I took it to the dealer, they replaced the compressor. However, that didn't solve the problem. The next time I took it in, the car was just about on the bump stops - not good! They quickly figured out that it was a relay, and it's been great since they replaced the relay (about 2 months now - hope it stays fixed as the warranty runs out in one more month!).
Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: Plucked bmw.....

Since I'm not willing to pay 81 EUROs for OE hose, I will buy a new hose at our local car shop.

But which one to buy? A Petrol or AIR hose?
And how much air presser have to hold?
A Petrol hose can take up to 3,6 bar, and a AIR hose up to 20 bar.
And what?s the internal diameter of OE hose? 6 or 7 mm?

Tnx
Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nimesis
Since I'm not willing to pay 81 EUROs for OE hose, I will buy a new hose at our local car shop.

But which one to buy? A Petrol or AIR hose?
And how much air presser have to hold?
A Petrol hose can take up to 3,6 bar, and a AIR hose up to 20 bar.
And what?s the internal diameter of OE hose? 6 or 7 mm?

Tnx
on the pressure, the guys at the dealer told me the compressor generates 15 bar, so you better take that air hose.
on the diameter I dont know.

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures