E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
sRt
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the "Level control system failure" error. My workshop said it was the level control sensor, so they replaced it. But had to use additionally 9 hours to fix the REAL error, which was a broken wire in the rear somewere.
Luckily I only had to pay for the schelduled hour :-)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Originally Posted by mmitev
the compressor generates 15 bar
Do you know the cfm or l/min?

I willing to try other air compressor, but i don't know the specs of OEM. I've found some manufacturers:

VIAIR

FIRESTONE

THOMAS (Mercedes, Renault...)

With this info we can find a air compressor more powerfull, smaller, quieter or lighter.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Plucked bmw.....

I manage to get some data about OEM AMK compressor: (it?s in German lang.)
? 420 Watt Motorleistung
? 140 Liter/Min. Luftleistung
? Druckbegrenzung bei 17,5bar (246.56psi)
? Tauchfähig (arbeitet auch unter Wasser) * It can work under water.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Originally Posted by Tiago
Do you know the cfm or l/min?

I willing to try other air compressor, but i don't know the specs of OEM. I've found some manufacturers:

VIAIR

FIRESTONE

THOMAS (Mercedes, Renault...)

With this info we can find a air compressor more powerfull, smaller, quieter or lighter.
here is the link http://en.automotive.amk-antriebe.de/produkte/lfk.aspx
U can check
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I can't quite concern if this problem is related to E61 built before a certain year and if it only a problem with the diesel model?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat
I can't quite concern if this problem is related to E61 built before a certain year and if it only a problem with the diesel model?

I believe it's a problem for all models though the hose that is normally the beginning of the issue was updated for a better product at some stage. I can't say when though.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

As Vista is saying; BMW have since 2007 trying to fix the problem; first (came with the LCI update) by using a different hose and slighly different way of connecting it to the compressor and then also upgrading the compressor (don't know the details what they did). So, it should be less frequent for cars MY2007(EU)and MY2008(US), but time will tell.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
New Members

Hi all!

Today my E61 levelling system runs just fine, and it has for half a year. I was looking into this forum to see if i could get any help to solve my problem.
And my problem was pretty much the same as many of you experience now.

I registered here today, first for saying tnx to all of you that gave me tip about what to look for an how to do it.

Now i want to tell you all what BMW mechanics and other people tell me about this levelling "issue":

90% of problems related to self levelling problems on E61 2004-2006 is that they have installed a compressor marked: MARK I
On 2007 they realiced the problem with the compressor that just just "wear out"(compressor running fine, but longer and longer and does not give the car the lift/pressure it needs and stops due to timer that prevents it from getting too hot). It is "normal" to replace this compressor between 50-100'km.

I bougth an used Mark II comprossor on ebay from a 2008 last summer and it has now 20'km on it and is still running just fine.

Just have to tell you, althou i doubt that you will belive me...but it's true cos i live in Norway :

Local stealer offered me a new comprossor for 2000? (yes,it's true).
They also offered to install it for 8,5hours work (we have to pay 110? per hour) total of 935? for just the install.
Yes, it took me some hours too.But now that i have done it once i guess 30min for this job is more than enough.
Grand total= 2935? !!?? (Even for norwegians that is used to pay 11? for a pack of cigarettes this is expencive, 0,5L beer at a pub is 8? btw)

Bottom line is: IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SELF LEVELLING, CHECK IF YOU HAVE MARK I COMPROSSOR.

Balla
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Originally Posted by nostro01
Hi all!

Today my E61 levelling system runs just fine, and it has for half a year. I was looking into this forum to see if i could get any help to solve my problem.

I registered here today, first for saying tnx to all of you that gave me tip about what to look for an how to do it.

Now i want to tell you all what BMW mechanics and other people tell me about this levelling "issue":

90% of problems related to self levelling problems on E61 2004-2006 is that they have installed a compressor marked: MARK I
On 2007 they realiced the problem with the compressor that just just "wear out"(compressor running fine, but longer and longer and does not give the car the lift/pressure it needs and stops due to timer that prevents it from getting too hot). It is "normal" to replace this compressor between 50-100'km.

I bougth an used Mark II comprossor on ebay from a 2008 last summer and it has now 20'km on it and is still running just fine.

Just have to tell you, althou i doubt that you will belive me...but it's true cos i live in Norway :

They also offered to install it for 8,5hours work (we have to pay 110? per hour) total of 935? for just the install.
Yes, it took me some hours too.But now that i have done it once i guess 30min for this job is more than enough.
Grand total= 2935? !!?? (Even for norwegians that is used to pay 11? for a pack of cigarettes this is expencive, 0,5L beer at a pub is 8? btw)

Bottom line is: IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SELF LEVELLING, CHECK IF YOU HAVE MARK I COMPROSSOR.

Balla

Can U explain whay U mean MARK I and MARK II?
mine for 2004 E61 is AMK automotive product
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nostro01
Hi all!

Balla
From what I have seen on my own E61 and from what I have read and from what i know of mechanics I do not think that the main problem is the compressor.
Many suspension failures shows brakes on feeder line to compressor. If contaminated air and debris is able to get into the feeder line and into the compressor, the compressor the fail at some. It does not matter if it is a Mark 1,2,3.... it doesn't matter. But of cause there can be differences and newer versions might last longer.

But as I see feeder lines are always the most critic, if they brake its not longer a "controlled" environment.

But the way... who ever told you that the compressor but be changed every 50k-100k MUST be joking. If you to some calculations 75k Km at an average at 75km/h gives you 1000 hours of running time. And how often does it run out of this maximum of running time? 5-10% tops?? with many daily stops. Its not a lot.

I can buy 200 EUR compressor at any hardware store that can 1000 hours continuous with no issues. But if I contaminate the air, add moint, dirt etc. it will also run hot and eventually brake down.

Just my input...

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures