E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d touring 218hp

Hi, I'm french so I'm sorry for mistakes.

I had also the default message on my Idrive, so I changed the hose yesterday, but finally the default is always displayed.
In fact this pipe is the air inlet of the compressor, even with the crack the compressor can draw the air normally.

I read on a french forum that the EHC electronic module could be the issue. Mine is the first reference. I checked on BMWfans site, and since 2 new reference have replaced the first one.

Anybody knows if this electronic module can be tested? (it's located under the spare wheel)

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Members

My Ride: Newest: 2006 e61 530xiT, 6spd man, Sport/Prem/Cold/Nav pkgs Next: 1999 e36 Z3c 2.8, SN 00002, 5spd First: 1988 e30 M3, "M Monster" track-day car, 3.2L s52 conversion, roll cage, wicked suspension, Quaiffe ATB diff, 3.46 gears, 285hp @ crank, 2700lbs....not slow.

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='1045297' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:03 PM
Any one got the part number of the new BMW hose assembly?

May do a bit of preventive maintenance one the Wagon comes in.

Go to realoem.com as this is basically the BMW ETK parts catalog.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Members

My Ride: Newest: 2006 e61 530xiT, 6spd man, Sport/Prem/Cold/Nav pkgs Next: 1999 e36 Z3c 2.8, SN 00002, 5spd First: 1988 e30 M3, "M Monster" track-day car, 3.2L s52 conversion, roll cage, wicked suspension, Quaiffe ATB diff, 3.46 gears, 285hp @ crank, 2700lbs....not slow.

Originally Posted by higher' post='1045239' date='Nov 2 2009, 10:38 AM
Does anyone have detailed instructions, plus pics on how to access the hose / compressor and repair.

This would be a good post for the DIY section as plenty of poeple (including myself) want to check this useless component
If one has BMW TIS all is revealed. I have it but technically it's copyrighted material so I can't post it.
Google BMW TIS download...
Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D MSport 03/2005

Guys I removed the bottom cover below the compressor to have a look at the rubber inlet pipe. There was a little bit of cracking and fraying of the pipe just after the clip on the compressor side. I'm guessing that this wouldn't cause a problem as it's not on the line side of the pipe. I didn't remove the wheel arch liner but I could see that this is where the black pipe was headed. Is there a valve at the top end of the pipe in the wheel arch area?

The symptoms are that the Level Control light comes on regularly just after start-up and always when someone gets in the back seat. The car has also dropped onto it's rear end stops for one day (the rear wheels were well up into the arches), this was about a day after a local mechanic replaced the rear left and right Ball Joints in the suspension arm which had worn out. After about a day and a short trip or two the car leveled again but I still always get the level control failure at start up and when someone gets in the back. As I normally commute on my own it's not a problem as the rear suspension seems to be pumped up enough to give reasonably comfortable drive.

The question is, which part is faulty? Is it the solenoid, compressor or the inlet pipe assembly? How can I diagnose it a bit better and how do I repair it?

The car is an E61 March 2005 UK 525D MSport model with 125K miles
The pictures show the solenoid valve on the output of the compressor with the red and blue lines I assume going to the left and right suspension airbags.

[attachment=121387:Compressor_in.jpg]
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

To accurately ascertain if the compressor inlet pipe is broken you will need to remove the wheel arch cover and remove the suspect pipe. Mine looked ok until I got it off and inspected it properly.

Sorry, can't answer the other bits
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d touring 218hp

I checked my pipe inside Wheel arch. This is the air inlet. At the end (or begining) of the pipe there is a little air filter, one side of the filter is the pipe, and the opposite side, this is the inlet hole. Air is pumped inside the wheel arch.
I'm always looking for the default.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Whitestone' post='888212' date='May 24 2009, 06:16 AM
Would make sense to check it. Let me know if corroded please?

Michael.
Hi,

May I know which company you prefer and Was it fine enough to solve your problem could you please let me know.. so that I will try it once. (Same problem here also).

Thanks,
mcjohnluther
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

I too have been having suspension control system failure notifications. Stopping and restarting cleared fault but eventually it would come back. The pump could be heard running occasionally. Having had an E39, I looked for the pump etc in the spare wheel well - my E61 545i has run flats so no spare wheel and quite a job to remove the rear floor covering. All that is there is a foam plastic sandwich with various relays and control boxes for level control.

I suspected the pump relay (greeny white) and sure enough on opening, the points were well worn and blackened. It is possible to open the actual points and clean with carborundum paper but the only real cure is replacement. BMW Sytners call it a standard/generic relay and whilst an alternative 5 pin relay might work, best to use recommended replacement (about ?9.00) - don't want to blow the electronics driving it. Fault warning gone but the pump seems to be doing overtime. Further investigation required.

Seen the excellent picture from posts #54 COLM245 & #41 Ceep. Removal of lower pump panel allowed inspection of crap intake pipe - perished and cracked both ends and nearly completely severed at pump end. Temporary repair at pump end by remaking and using proper jubilee Halfords hose clip. Will need to get better pipe hopefully from Sytners. Also will have to remove wheel arch liner to get at other end of faulty pipe where it's fixed to a union in a clamp. I don't know whether there is a one way valve in there or further up to where the air intake filter is - the cracked pipe would not help and also let dirt in. Will post further if anyone is interested in results.

Recommend http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php for replacement HID bulbs and LED angel lights. Looks like previous owner had some fun with broken tailgate wiring replacement - broken rear loudspeaker grill suddenly fell out one day and there are scratches on loom guides next to hinges. Also had lots of trouble from rear tailglass not shutting properly - cured by replacing central locking/wiper motor. Battery discharging also a problem - try to let car go to 'sleep' (~ 20 minutes) and avoid wakening unecessarily - and weekly charge. All known problems.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

First start since last post, moved out of garage and heard pump working. Then "Suspension Level Control Fault" warning came up again. Stopped and restarted, warning gone. Went to Sytners to add this to a list of other requirements due (MOT, oil service, replacement damaged front bumper and O/S front cracked wing - assume previous owner had kirbed and dragged).

Seems to me that replacing air intake tube would not necessarily cure warnings, and that the pump is damaged and has to be replaced. All going to be very expensive but another nice rare BMW V8 no doubt would cost even more. Sytners might even find something else that requires attention. One small consolation - if any more trouble with pump, that should be covered by some warranty which would not apply if I fitted it.

I used to have an E34 V8 which had Citroen type hydraulic power pump for steering, braking and self levelling rear suspension - a lot more complicated. The pump was throwing oil pulley end. It cost over ?550.00 for a new one (LUK) which I fitted only for oil still leaking pulley end. Sytners said I had not done the job properly so I challenged them to do a better job. After collecting and short drive, oil could still be seen leaking. Went back and asked if they actually changed the pump (answer - yes of course). Next pump fitted was OK and I did not have to pay more.

Touring rear suspension failures-bmw_545i_touring_ae05_ywx_1_.jpg LED Angel Eyes Touring rear suspension failures-p1000502_545i_led_angel_light.jpgTouring rear suspension failures-p1000489_545i_engine_ns.jpg Touring rear suspension failures-p1000490_545i_engine_os.jpg
Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

I had the whole pump replaced under warranty - a few short weeks before the car went out of warranty! The first couple of times I had the leveling system fault warning and took the car in for something else, the dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. Apparently the warning would clear itself out of the otherwise supposedly infallible computer memory. I kept a log of the number of times the warning went on thereafter (I also heard more noise from the pump, at times other than usual), and went back to the dealer more insistent as I knew this was expensive and warranty was running out. The SA admitted that there was a bad batch of pumps early on, ordered the part from Germany, replaced etc. We'll see how long this one lasts.
Lesson: if you're near warranty expiration, be insistent.

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures