E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Originally Posted by kErb' post='912176' date='Jun 15 2009, 06:40 PM
Was it both ends of the pipe that had broken or just the compresser end? I have already shortned mine at the crompesser end, but I haven't checked behind the wheelarch liner.
It was rotten where it connects to the compressor and oddly at one of the bends about 6" from the compressor. Have to add that most of the pipe at the compressor end looked a bit past its service life!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Whitestone' post='910478' date='Jun 13 2009, 06:32 PM
Having started this thread, I thought i had better continue with it!!

Bought a second hand pump from FAB BMW recycling (great company by the way).

Although the old pump on mine still worked, it gave error messages on I-drive, and took a while to keep the ride height. What confirmed it was faulty was when I unscrewed the air outlet pipes from the pump, there was no pressure release (hissing) but when I released the pipes from the replacement second-hand pump, there was still pressure in the unit.

The warning on I-drive has not gone, but I hope that a reset with an Autologic will solve that.

When I have a moment, I will take the old pump apart and see what has failed.
Hi Whitestone:
I think the part that fail the its operation is the box that holds red and blue plastic air tube. where the ball bearing at either sides stuck or something with debris that come from the doggy rubber duct or bits that from the pump itself. i have mine still seating in the garage, i was hoping one day... just one day that i have free.. i wanna open it all up and find out what causes it... may be you can un-cover the orginal cause for all of us...

Gary.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garychairson' post='915443' date='Jun 18 2009, 01:51 AM
Hi Whitestone:
I think the part that fail the its operation is the box that holds red and blue plastic air tube. where the ball bearing at either sides stuck or something with debris that come from the doggy rubber duct or bits that from the pump itself. i have mine still seating in the garage, i was hoping one day... just one day that i have free.. i wanna open it all up and find out what causes it... may be you can un-cover the orginal cause for all of us...

Gary.

Yep, I was wondering whether it was the actual pump, or the valves that control the pressure to each side of the car.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Members

Could someone give me an overview of exactly what to remove to inspect the troublesome pipe.

Do I need to remove the wheel arch liner? If so what sort of clips are there to deal with?

I presume the pump is at the back roughly under the battery?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='918202' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:55 PM
Could someone give me an overview of exactly what to remove to inspect the troublesome pipe.

Do I need to remove the wheel arch liner? If so what sort of clips are there to deal with?

I presume the pump is at the back roughly under the battery?
Get your car up on a lift (if possible) and look at the under side (right hand side of the car) of the rear bumper. There is a black, plastic cover that needs to be removed. Once you have that off, you can inspect the hose/pipe/tube in question.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='918206' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:59 PM
Get your car up on a lift (if possible) and look at the under side (right hand side of the car) of the rear bumper. There is a black, plastic cover that needs to be removed. Once you have that off, you can inspect the hose/pipe/tube in question.
Brilliant - thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Members

Popped mine off this morning.

Car's a 2004 535d touring. All looks fine in there. The pipe is a sturdy rubber with braided outer type (like a domestic iron flex) all in one piece. Mind you my compressor has a sort of foam block cover that fits over it and seems to protect it quite well. The foam cover is starting to fail but the compressor is in good nick.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525DSE Auto Touring. 2004 54 plate Metalic saffire Black, Active Steering. 18 Inch Style 124 Alloys, falken 452s Beige Leather Dark Poplar Wood Trim xenon bulb upgrade blutooth phone prep

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='920105' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:14 PM
Popped mine off this morning.

Car's a 2004 535d touring. All looks fine in there. The pipe is a sturdy rubber with braided outer type (like a domestic iron flex) all in one piece. Mind you my compressor has a sort of foam block cover that fits over it and seems to protect it quite well. The foam cover is starting to fail but the compressor is in good nick.
sounds like yours has been replaced at some point normally just a black rubber pipe
Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Members

Forgot to say:

Easy to inspect, just need to jack the one corner up.

4 x 10mm plastic nuts
3 x 8mm self-tapping bolts (two of which are in the wheel arch)
Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Whitestone' post='910478' date='Jun 13 2009, 06:32 PM
Having started this thread, I thought i had better continue with it!!

Bought a second hand pump from FAB BMW recycling (great company by the way).

Although the old pump on mine still worked, it gave error messages on I-drive, and took a while to keep the ride height. What confirmed it was faulty was when I unscrewed the air outlet pipes from the pump, there was no pressure release (hissing) but when I released the pipes from the replacement second-hand pump, there was still pressure in the unit.

The warning on I-drive has not gone, but I hope that a reset with an Autologic will solve that.

When I have a moment, I will take the old pump apart and see what has failed.

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures