E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, same problem here with the 2005 E61.
Did a quick check at the rear and found a braided hose. Now, if anybody knows if it is possible for a braided hose to fail?
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Members

Hi,

Well my new compressor has just arrived from Germany. It certainly looks exactly the same as the OEM BMW part and probably comes direct from their supplier. I'll be fitting it later this afternoon so I'll let you all know how it goes.

For reference the eBay seller is $-zahn and the listing for the one I purchased as follows:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400147988830&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
rgds

Carlo
Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Members

Hi,

So the story continues... last Friday was leaving the office and the dreaded "self level system failure" flashed up again. Did the usual stop, engine off, restart and it returned. So had a long, slow, journey back home with the rear almost riding the bump stops. I was very surprised to see it drop so quickly so problem may be caused by air spring leak or failure but it seems the replacement compressor has failed with 2 month use or approx 900 miles.

Will be going under the car tomorrow to diagnose further.

Not a happy owner this weekend..

;-(

C
Old 11-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CarloTT
Hi,

So the story continues... last Friday was leaving the office and the dreaded "self level system failure" flashed up again. Did the usual stop, engine off, restart and it returned. So had a long, slow, journey back home with the rear almost riding the bump stops. I was very surprised to see it drop so quickly so problem may be caused by air spring leak or failure but it seems the replacement compressor has failed with 2 month use or approx 900 miles.

Will be going under the car tomorrow to diagnose further.

Not a happy owner this weekend..

;-(

C
Does not sound good.

- Can you hear the compressor trying to build up pressure?
- When you did the compressor replacement, did you change the input or output hose?
- When you remove the cover, its interesting to know how much crap that builds up over a 2 month period

Let us know of your findings when you get underneath the bastard.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Does not sound good.

- Can you hear the compressor trying to build up pressure?
- When you did the compressor replacement, did you change the input or output hose?
- When you remove the cover, its interesting to know how much crap that builds up over a 2 month period

Let us know of your findings when you get underneath the bastard.

Hi,

So, cover off this morning, very little dirt but some dampness (as expected), the compressor does not run at all so checked all the connections and even put a voltmeter across the pressure sensor and power feeds to check on supply and both OK. At the time I did not replace the hose since only a small split near the connector was detected. Certainly every morning it would run for 10 seconds or so since installed except Friday, so I should have left it at home...

Contacted the seller as I had just had it installed for about 7 weeks and all of 900km, we shall see.

rgds

C
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by CarloTT
Hi,

So, cover off this morning, very little dirt but some dampness (as expected), the compressor does not run at all so checked all the connections and even put a voltmeter across the pressure sensor and power feeds to check on supply and both OK. At the time I did not replace the hose since only a small split near the connector was detected. Certainly every morning it would run for 10 seconds or so since installed except Friday, so I should have left it at home...

Contacted the seller as I had just had it installed for about 7 weeks and all of 900km, we shall see.

rgds

C
That really sucks. I hope that you get this figured out - and please keep this thread updated. I was going to place an order with this seller...

Also, does the pump come with a new hose? The supposedly, "fixed," hose?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Carlo,

I have now checked out the seller's own web site. It seems that they offer a 4 week warranty, but I hope that they will do the right thing and replace yours.

I sent them a message and asked about the hose and the mounting hardware (included when you buy from BMW).

Also, was the compressor BRAND NEW and OEM as they say on the web site?

I am just a bit suspicious due the the insane price difference: 385 ? + 40 ? shipping from them, and 1900 ? from BMW Finland. Realoem.com says the list price is around $790.

Give us some feedback when you a moment.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
I am just a bit suspicious due the the insane price difference: 385 ? + 40 ? shipping from them, and 1900 ? from BMW Finland. Realoem.com says the list price is around $790.
The price for the compressor in Prague (at the local BMW dealer, where I last enquired) was around EUR 700 + EUR 50 for the relay.

So we can count on the "production value" of the compressor to be much lower, maybe half or below. The rest is made up of margins, taxes etc. Whoever finds a way to circumvent these, can offer it at a much lower price.

On the other hand, today there was a news items about some workers at BMW Dingolfing who were stealing parts and selling them on Ebay... may be it was them, who knows..
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Contributors

I have now contacted the seller in Germany, by e-mail with a few questions. I am just waiting for a reply about what extra hoses, mounting parts and the relay. If I place an order, I want to buy everything that is included with the over-priced, BMW replacement.

The boss of my service department told me that the actual installation is not that big of a deal. And although they won't admit it, they know that this is a BMW design failure. Just like the sun roof... Just like the cargo door wiring harness... Swirl flaps... And so on.

I love my E61, but...
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

yes, I love my e61 too. so let's summarize the BIG issues and scare off any potential owners of these rare and wonderful cars

1) panorama roof
2) rear suspension pump/compressor failure
3) cargo door wiring harness
4) tailgate window
5) swirl flaps (what's this, I don't know this one)

of the top 4, the panorama roof is the most critical because failure to remove the SureClog drain valves will lead to flooding of the trunk which then kills the electronics modules located there. the others are relatively simple remove and replace/repair that won't lead to catastropic failures. did I get them all?

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures