E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to this forum I have probably rescued my compressor

I "open" the rear bottom cover to have a look. The first sight that hit me was a VERY dirty inner cover. I would estimate that I cleaned away approx. 3 kg of sand and small rocks. As a former Audi man, im shocked that a rear cover design that allows this amount of dirt in, is "allowed". Right on top of all this dirt, we have my compressor. So far not looking very good. I took a further look inside, and could within 20 secs spot 3 weak spots on the notorious hose. Im not in doubt, this hose is punctured or VERY close to it.

Yesterday i called bmw for an inspection. They had a look, and concluded together with company where i bought my car, that they were not willing to risk a compressor replacement in the warranty period, so they changed the hose. I havent opened to do a check up, but they told me, that they changed the hose with a new one which had a "sleeve" around it. If its a armored hose or not, that is to be determined by my later inspection. Hopefully in the weekend...
Attached Thumbnails Touring rear suspension failures-rear-cover.jpg   Touring rear suspension failures-leak-1.jpg   Touring rear suspension failures-leak-2.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

The E61 has two idiotic designs flaws; this is one of them. The other is the aux antenna in the rear wing.

Anyway, good to see that you preemted a certain compressor failure!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by narvselius
The E61 has two idiotic designs flaws; this is one of them. The other is the aux antenna in the rear wing.
I think that the pano roof and more specific the drain tubes with sureclog[sup]tm[/sup] valves also qualify (albeit optional)...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Theo
I think that the pano roof and more specific the drain tubes with sureclog[sup]tm[/sup] valves also qualify (albeit optional)...
and the electronics in the spare tyre mould, which admittedly is a genetical issue it shares with its brother E60
Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Members

Did a check up today on the replaced hose. Its of the new type with a knitted sleeve around it.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by Llif
Hi WhiteyBM,
Sorry I've not replied for ages, been away driving my nicely level car
My E61 is a Aug 2004 525SE with a panoramic sunroof and its now done 54k and a bit.
The sunroof bit is relevant to this discussion as it appears to be one of the drains on the sunroof that has caused the water to come into the car in the first place.
Whether I would recommend the garage I used is still open to debate at the minute. There is a small problem that has developed since they fixed the car that's making them scratch their heads. When they replaced the ECU they needed to plug the car up to the computer to finish the repair. While doing this they managed to create a fault where when I turn the ignition on I get the message "head unit not programed correctly". If you press the return button on the i-drive it goes away and everything works just fine. The guys in the garage have been true gents in trying to fix it for me but they're scratching their heads as they (and the computer) can't find any problem with anything. Currently they're talking to their mates in the industry to try and think of things that will cause the problem and the car is booked to go back in at the end of the week. I'll let you know if they fix it.
Speaking of panorama roof.. I have visited my dealer to put new wheels on and while talking they mentioned that every E61 they had there had problems with it sooner or later and that they predict maximum durability of 5 years since it's all made of plastic..
Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hondik
Speaking of panorama roof.. I have visited my dealer to put new wheels on and while talking they mentioned that every E61 they had there had problems with it sooner or later and that they predict maximum durability of 5 years since it's all made of plastic..
Hondik can we see your new wheels please? Are they the gunmetal-coloured from the pic below? They look great on the black car but can't quite figure their shape..

And regarding panorama roof - did they mean problems with the mechanism or water drainage problems?
I didn't quite get what is made of plastic.
Some clarification would be great.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I am getting my compressor checked out on Wednesday. The hose will be replaced, but lets see what else they find.

I haven't had the iDrive warning for two weeks, but yesterday on the way home from our cottage, I got a tire pressure warning (again). All of the tires are correctly inflated.

I will also get the sunroof drain tubes cleaned out.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by mmitev
Hondik can we see your new wheels please? Are they the gunmetal-coloured from the pic below? They look great on the black car but can't quite figure their shape..

And regarding panorama roof - did they mean problems with the mechanism or water drainage problems?
I didn't quite get what is made of plastic.
Some clarification would be great.
Hi, they are from E92 M3.. as soon as I have some chance I'll post some bigger pics.

They meant overall problems, squeaking, leaking.. dunno what else.. they meant the mechanism is plasticky..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M e61 530d Iron Horse Sunday :-)

What is exact inner and outer diameter of the hose?
I read that inner is around 6mm and 7 mm... what is it exactly?
Did someone cleaned the air filter at the end of the hose?
Is it wise to spray wire contacts with wd40 to prevent moisture or do something to prevent future problems?
Thnx

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures