E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbimmer
Thx, Realoem says mine is 6HP19 in 525i 03/2007. Only 535d above has 6HP26.
Is your LCI or not? 03/07 is the cutoff month. Have you done this retrofit?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 528i
Model Year: 2008

Mine is LCI, 03/2007 is mfg month in VO, actual out-of-factory shows 06/2007.
I retrofitted SAT already. But after coding, the typical SAT feelings, fast gear shifting response are gone.
So I'm trying to find that solution.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Members

Mine is LCI, 03/2007 is mfg month in VO, actual out-of-factory shows 06/2007.
I retrofitted SAT already. But after coding, the typical SAT feelings, fast gear shifting response are gone.
So I'm trying to find that solution.
Your car's MY is exactly as mine. Mine is 535d though.

Are you saying that once you just put the sat shiftbox with stick in replacing your existing shifter shiftbox and stick you had fast shift response? and once CODED to 2TB fast gear shifting response are gone? Did you put the paddle shifter steering too? Could that be a missing link?

If yes in this case why can't you code all of your car module with 205 and only code KOMBI with 2TB.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AI001
Your car's MY is exactly as mine. Mine is 535d though.

Are you saying that once you just put the sat shiftbox with stick in replacing your existing shifter shiftbox and stick you had fast shift response? and once CODED to 2TB fast gear shifting response are gone? Did you put the paddle shifter steering too? Could that be a missing link?

If yes in this case why can't you code all of your car module with 205 and only code KOMBI with 2TB.
Yes, once just putting sat shiftbox with selector, most of dynamic sat functions worked w/o coding.
After adding paddle shifters, 2 wires connection, coding 2TB, the dynamic sat functions are gone.
Yes, paddles & sport sign work.
I flashed GWS ecu as hermman list but not EGS, bcz I have a different EGS hardware so far as I know of.
Just coding whole car roll back to 205 and KOMBI,CAS,EGS,KGM with 2TB parameter shows the same result.
I suspect more sophysticated logic or EGS hardware matching to model/year. Maybe certain ecus recognize the paddles, it goes into non-SAT mode.
I asked Kleynie, still waiting for his feedback.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Members

Yes, once just putting sat shiftbox with selector, most of dynamic sat functions worked w/o coding.
After adding paddle shifters, 2 wires connection, coding 2TB, the dynamic sat functions are gone.
Yes, paddles & sport sign work.
I flashed GWS ecu as hermman list but not EGS, bcz I have a different EGS hardware so far as I know of.
Just coding whole car roll back to 205 and KOMBI,CAS,EGS,KGM with 2TB parameter shows the same result.
I suspect more sophysticated logic or EGS hardware matching to model/year. Maybe certain ecus recognize the paddles, it goes into non-SAT mode.
I asked Kleynie, still waiting for his feedback.
How can you check if SAT mode is working or not. When changing gear the difference is not so much you can notice it to be honest. Not atleast when you are not on a track. Code whole car with 205 just KOMBI with 2TB or even better make just the sport button change in KOMBI trace without adding any VO.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Members

How can you check if SAT mode is working or not. When changing gear the difference is not so much you can notice it to be honest. Not atleast when you are not on a track. Code whole car with 205 just KOMBI with 2TB or even better make just the sport button change in KOMBI trace without adding any VO.
I have read Rudy's full review of SAT and some posts.
Yes, your opinion is right, faster gear shifting time is 200 mil.sec., I can't check exactly on public roads.

There are SAT characteristics as I experienced with 535d LCI 2008.

#1. more spontaneous acceleratoring
either in D or DS mode, press sport button then RPM goes up 800~1000 more
a litte pedaling cause fast accelerating,

#2. delayed up-shifting
either in D or DS more, press sport button then up-shifting position can be compared to without sport button

#3. faster gear shifting
official announcement claims, I can't feel exactly

#4. heavier steering wheel
either in D or DS more, press soprt button, it is easily felt

#5. paddles shifting
D or DS mode, all time easily found

#6. sport sign displayed on cluster
either D or DS mode, all time easily found

#7. S1~S5 sign displayed instead of M1~M6
in DS mode, try paddles, S1~S5 must be displayed if coding was perfect

Heavy steering coding is related to KGM, paddles to EGS, verified.
Other functions are corelated conditionally, I think.
AI001, have you finished retrofitting already with paddles and coding? You have better conditions in model/year.
I'm sure you'll have a luck.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Members

kbimmer I will test all these conditions and report back. Yes, I have fitted everything now. I need to pack everything togather before I test it. I still get M1~M6 while using paddle shift, I haven't tried it in DS mode yet.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 AM
Members

kbimmer I have tried DS mode + Sports button + Paddles and I don't see S1~S5 at all. I tried various other combination but still the same. Basically other then S1-5 everything else is behaving as you listed above.

In your option #1 you mean it is a instant downshift as soon as you press the sports button?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i E61 LCI auto, pro media, memory seats , pano roof, power fold mirrors, extended interior light pack, visibility pack, sun protect windows, 172 spiders.

The 2 parameters in KGM ecu should be coded to wert_01 again for heavy steering.
GESCHWIN_WERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_01
STROMWERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_01

Regarding other SAT functions, can you see S1~S5 sign instead of M1~M6 on cluster display?
Kbimmer, I have been out of the loop for a while and not had chance to answer your e mail. Basically I don't get the hard steering feel and I still have M1 to M6 even in sport mode! I do get the faster gear changes in and rev matching in DS and sport mode I think! No rev matching in D mode when downshifting which gives good engine braking.
Do you now have the firm steering? I have the 6HP19 gearbox too.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Members

kbimmer I have tried DS mode + Sports button + Paddles and I don't see S1~S5 at all. I tried various other combination but still the same. Basically other then S1-5 everything else is behaving as you listed above.

In your option #1 you mean it is a instant downshift as soon as you press the sports button?
Glad to hear you're almost close to it. I felt more agility rather than downshift power on #1 of my 525i w/o sport suspension.
But 535d w/ more power, torque, sport suspension could have a different feeling, it's like just downshifting. So delicate..
S1~S5 display might be more tightly related on several combination of ecu zb number, coding parameters, physical tranny....

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit