E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 09:43 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530xd E61

Yes, a lot of people use simple 3$ switch to do that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301896821838?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=t6khBASiQUa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_fdmhMKUSE q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited by Bmwpower530; 11-06-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:14 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

I am looking at more elegant one with backlight
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165029272517
But, before I go that route, I would like to confirm that flashing the EGS with SAT program and adding this switch will actually make it function just like the SAT lever except for looks. Importantly, does it show the automatic gears on console as S1, S2, S3 like I saw around while in D mode and Sport button activated.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Bmw e60 535d
Default M5 steering wheel with paddle shifters retrofit

Hey Everyone!

First of all thanks for everybody who contributed to this amazing thread. I learned a lot reading it all through.

I just started the whole retrofit process on my 2008 LCI 535d and as I get to the wiring stage from the SZL connector to the ground and to the x6031 connector, I found that I already have a blue/white wire in pin13 in the SZL connector and also have a wire in pin11 in the x6031 connector with the same blue/white colour. Pin12 in the SZL connector which meant to be wired to the ground is also occupied with a wire which is blue/green if I remember correctly. Important to note that everything looks untouched, no sign of previous work done around these wires and connectors.

My question is:

Is it possible that the wiring is already there for the paddle shifter steering wheel even though my car came from the factory with standard steering wheel?

Should I give it a try, connect my steering wheel, leave the connectors as it is, do the coding and see if it works without carrying out the wiring from the SZL connector?

If it is not possible than should I just cut these wires (pin12 and pin13) from the SZL connector and solder my wires onto them so I can proceed with the original wiring plan?

I would really appreciate a quick response as everything is disassembled now and would be great to put everything back together asap so the car can be used.

Many Thanks!

​​​​​

Old 01-11-2023, 09:46 AM
New Members

Default M5 steering wheel with paddle shifters retrofit

Hey Everyone!

First of all thanks for everybody who contributed to this amazing thread. I learned a lot reading it all through.

I just started the whole retrofit process on my 2008 LCI 535d and as I get to the wiring stage from the SZL connector to the ground and to the x6031 connector, I found that I already have a blue/white wire in pin13 in the SZL connector and also have a wire in pin11 in the x6031 connector with the same blue/white colour. Pin12 in the SZL connector which meant to be wired to the ground is also occupied with a wire which is blue/green if I remember correctly. Important to note that everything looks untouched, no sign of previous work done around these wires and connectors.

My question is:

Is it possible that the wiring is already there for the paddle shifter steering wheel even though my car came from the factory with standard steering wheel?

Should I give it a try, connect my steering wheel, leave the connectors as it is, do the coding and see if it works without carrying out the wiring from the SZL connector?

If it is not possible than should I just cut these wires (pin12 and pin13) from the SZL connector and solder my wires onto them so I can proceed with the original wiring plan?

I would really appreciate a quick response as everything is disassembled now and would be great to put everything back together asap so the car can be used.

Many Thanks!

​​​​​

Old 01-11-2023, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The way you're explaining it sounds like it's already wired. It doesn't hurt installing your part and coding it to see what you get. I'd rather not cut wires unless it's needed
The following users liked this post:
M.G.H (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 10:20 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
The way you're explaining it sounds like it's already wired. It doesn't hurt installing your part and coding it to see what you get. I'd rather not cut wires unless it's needed
Thanks for the quick response. I'll take your advice, install the steering wheel without wiring, code it and see if it works. I'll follow up on this thread.

Until than, if anyone have experienced the same as me (wiring already in place at SZL and x6031 connector) I would greatly appreciate your comment on this.

Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2023, 09:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by M.G.H
Hey Everyone!

My question is:

Many Thanks!

​​​​​

Hi Everyone!

​A quick follow up as promised. M5 steering wheel with paddle shifters are in now and indeed there was no need for the wiring from SZL to ground and x6031 connector. Installed it, coded it and it works although I have messed up something with the wiring in the steering wheel itself because it shifts up with the - paddle and shifts down with the + paddle. I followed the diagram I found here and put the three resistors in place but it turned out to work in the opposite as it should. Any suggestions for the M5 steering wheel troubleshooting? Here is the diagram I used.

Many Thanks!

Old 01-12-2023, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Just swap the 2 pins and it should work as it should
Old 01-12-2023, 08:22 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Just swap the 2 pins and it should work as it should
Thanks for the Tipp. Do you mean to swap the two wires which are connected to the other end of the 330r and the 1.5k resistor? I'm asking because both the upshift and downshift signal goes into the pin number 6 at the connector.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:27 AM
New Members

Default M5 steering wheel retrofit follow up

Just a quick update to others who might be interested now or in the future.
The Gist: If you find that your SZL connector already has the required wiring in place, than just try to plug and play, not modify the steering wheel's wiring, code it and see if it is works. If it doesn't, than use this wiring diagram posted here and pay close attention to the original and the modified wiring as well.

The details of my mistake:​​​​​​I did mess up the wiring by not reading the diagram correctly. At the time of making the modifications on the wiring at the steering wheel's connector, I didn't have the diagram which shows the original and modified wiring next to each other, but I relied solely
on the hand drawed version in which, you might assume that the wiring from the downshift paddle is connected to pin number 6, which is the first from the left on the picture, however that is not the case and this diagram, which I posted here again, shows you that. I will follow up later with my overall experience on the whole process, including the SAT gearbox, the M5 steering wheel with paddle shifters retrofit and the coding.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit