E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 07:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 550i

Hello
I have a March 2007 build E61 550 LCI (right hand drive) with the 6HP28 transmission and joystick style shifter, and have recently purchased a steering wheel with paddles that I want to install, but I'm stuck trying to find X6031 in the ECU box to wire it up to. I've spent a bit of time reading wiring diagrams on ISTA and looking at all the guides in this forum plus some others, and for the life of me I can't find the X6031 connector, or if I have found it I'm not convinced it's the right one as the wire colours and pin's in use don't match anyone elses X6031 or the wiring diagrams. Does anyone know if I've got the right connector and it's just wired different? The only other alternative is I just don't have that connector in the ebox at all I think? Can anyone help confirm or deny the black connector I've found is the right one please?

My problem is my ebox looks very different to everyone elses that I've seen so far. It seems to have an extra couple of ECU's - one says VVT on it so I'm assuming it's for the VVT , the other has a lot of fuses but otherwise I'm not sure what it does. But the main concern I have is the only 12 pin black connector I have in the ebox isn't wired anything like the ones in the pictures I've seen so far. The only other connectors I can see appear to be a two wire white connector for the ebox fan, and a 1 pin earth connector which is hiding in the photos below.

My black 12 pin connector has only two wires coming into it where other peoples seem to have 9-10 wires coming in. The input wires are PIN 1 is a large red/yellow wire and PIN 9 is a small white wire. The Output is only wired for PIN 1 = large red + Pin 8 to 12. Pin's 2-7 are not wired at all. I can't get the connector off of it's holder to confirm the order of the wires but the colours of the output wires that I can see for Pin 8 to 12 are white/red, white/purple, brown, grey and white.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:56 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Can someone confirm if there are set rpms and speed for the transmission to shift into S6 when in sport mode? After doing my xdrive transmission fluid/valves/sleeves/seals service, the buttons and gear shift, they all function normally and I see S1-S2-S3-S4-S5 on the display when in sport mode, but what I noticed is it never goes to S6, only upto S5 even on a downhill at 70mph while cruise contorl is active. Then agian, I never went above 70mph. But it does go through all 6 gears in normal mode. I never paid attention to this before the service, so I have nothing to compare against if it was working before.

thanks
Old 08-25-2023, 06:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 550i

I got the paddle shifting working yesterday, that only 12pin black connector in the ebox was the right one. I tried to trace the wire colours through the engine wiring harness to confirm I had the right ones but realised there was more than one wire with the same colour used for different things. In the end I just connected up to Pin 11, recoded the EGS and it worked.

Key notes from my research using ISTA wiring diagrams
1. The locator picture was wrong for x6031. Well it was in the ebox but the picture showed X6031 with many other connectors that weren't there. It also showed it at the back of the ebox but was at the front.
2. The wiring diagrams were wrong too. e.g. they showed separate wires for EGS up and EGS down when in fact only one is needed.

Vielen Dank to @bert69 for putting together the PDF I followed I couldn't have done it without all the information on this post.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:04 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: LCI E61 530xd allmost full now with SAT
Engine: M57S

Hey folks,

trough misfortunate stupidity I have destroyed the original harness wiring to the right paddle. I got spare wires but unfortunately I am not able to get the wiring fixed, since BMW has removed a lot of it from its system. Could someone be so kind and point me to the correct wiring of the paddels inside the steering wheel? The left and right paddle seem to be wired differently. The scheme I have is showing weird colors and only 3 wires, whereas the paddles are clearly 4 wire. The left paddle is shifting ok, the right one only up - check the vid

It would be great if someone has and can post pictures of the wiring harness 61316976397 !!

What I got form a colleague is:

Wiring diagram

Thanks guys.
Timiboy

Last edited by timiboy; 09-18-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:59 PM
New Members

Funnyly a 635d with SAT showed up with a friend and i made a pic of the cables😎 Will continue the retrofit works and see if it works on my car! Its been years, that I didn't have the time to finish that project

Last edited by timiboy; 09-20-2023 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:04 AM
New Members

Talking SAT on xDrive

I'm finally done with the retrofit and I can confirm that it does work 100% with a 530xD!!! No idea why BMW never released that SA for the xDrive cars.

My problems mentioned on p.92 and later came from the stupidity, that caused my right paddle to be NOT connected. Therefore my lever was jumping back from M Position. I had forgotten about the "cut", when I was flashing and struggling and only after some time it came back to my mind. I bought spare wires with suitable pins and again dropped the projectCan't believe it took me sooo long to find time to fix that

Timiboy

Last edited by timiboy; 09-23-2023 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi (One black & one grey) 2010 X5 535d 1974 BMW 3.0CS 2008 535i 2009 335d

Originally Posted by pavjayt
Can someone confirm if there are set rpms and speed for the transmission to shift into S6 when in sport mode? After doing my xdrive transmission fluid/valves/sleeves/seals service, the buttons and gear shift, they all function normally and I see S1-S2-S3-S4-S5 on the display when in sport mode, but what I noticed is it never goes to S6, only upto S5 even on a downhill at 70mph while cruise contorl is active. Then agian, I never went above 70mph. But it does go through all 6 gears in normal mode. I never paid attention to this before the service, so I have nothing to compare against if it was working before.

thanks
Most sport programs lock out 6th gear in S mode. If I command 6 with the paddles, then 6th will engage. It will not if you just add throttle, the rpm's will just climb.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:55 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Dj530
Most sport programs lock out 6th gear in S mode. If I command 6 with the paddles, then 6th will engage. It will not if you just add throttle, the rpm's will gust climb.
Exactly what I am experiencing with mine. I can engage 6th using paddles, but not on its own.

Thanks for confirming.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:11 PM
New Members

That is something I haven't tried ...yet. Gotta try this next time on the Autobahn

Timiboy
Old 02-07-2024, 09:09 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: Factory 525d lci but swapped for 3.0d engine and 3.5 gearbox

Hey.
been following this thread for a long time. Done wiring about 50 times, double checked everything and still stumped.
So the problem is with power. Someone shared SIB where it said plug x6031 pin 11 needs to get battery voltage with ignition, mine has 5.02v.. gearbox connector was clean, pin 12 (at x8500) was there ja intact. Where is my issue?
Car has standart joystick but coded to wert_01, paddles are getting same voltage as the x6031 and when i pull paddles voltage drop to almost 0, when i push nothing happens

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit