E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by AI001
Sorted it. It was KGM module which if coded with 2TB gives normal steering resistance but if coded with 205 and use SAT shifter then makes steering stiff like hell (which we like ;-)) weird but true.

Seems to match my recent experience. On my previous SAT coding I think I missed properly coding KGM so I got the stiff steering. On my Active Backrest Project, I coded KGM and my steering became normal (which I like).
Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 LCI

Sorted it. It was KGM module which if coded with 2TB gives normal steering resistance but if coded with 205 and use SAT shifter then makes steering stiff like hell (which we like ;-)) weird but true.

What do you think about it.
Attached Thumbnails Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-635d.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Members

I wonder if my manual transmission E60 LCI has the reduced power steering support all of the time? I have no sport option obviously, but my steering feels nice and heavy.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i E61 LCI auto, pro media, memory seats , pano roof, power fold mirrors, extended interior light pack, visibility pack, sun protect windows, 172 spiders.

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
I wonder if my manual transmission E60 LCI has the reduced power steering support all of the time? I have no sport option obviously, but my steering feels nice and heavy.
I have made a start on my SAT install by running the cable from the SZL to the e box. I was armed with a selection of the pins/bushing contacts for the quad lock connector but none of them fit, does anyone know the part numbers of the connectors for X1880 and X6031 please?

Also I have just found out that I have the active steering option, the paddle steering wheel I am fitting is from a 2008 car without active steering, so:

Is the retro fit still possible with active steering?
will the new steering wheel fit?
will I need to take anything off my old, non paddle, steering wheel?
are there any additions to the coding for SAT with active steering?

I am taking pictures as I go so hopefully I will be able to help you guys if more info is required.

Your help is much appreciated.

Ian
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Members

Kleynie, in a quick look at ETK I don't find active steering coming in way for SAT retrofit. There is no special SZL or Steering wheel with active steering wheel option.

Where did you run cables across? Assuming its between ebox and SZL, How did you run cable from e-box to the steering?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i E61 LCI auto, pro media, memory seats , pano roof, power fold mirrors, extended interior light pack, visibility pack, sun protect windows, 172 spiders.

Kleynie, in a quick look at ETK I don't find active steering coming in way for SAT retrofit. There is no special SZL or Steering wheel with active steering wheel option.

Where did you run cables across? Assuming its between ebox and SZL, How did you run cable from e-box to the steering?
Thanks for that, I did read somewhere that there is an extra sensor for steering wheel yawl but cannot remember where.

I ran the cable from the SZL through a rubber grommet in the bulkhead next to the master cylinder and then followed the conduits across the top of the engine to the ebox. Just having trouble connecting each end to the quad lock connectors as no one seems to know where to purchase the pins from, not even BMW themselves, so I have come to a halt at the moment.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kleynie
Thanks for that, I did read somewhere that there is an extra sensor for steering wheel yawl but cannot remember where.

I ran the cable from the SZL through a rubber grommet in the bulkhead next to the master cylinder and then followed the conduits across the top of the engine to the ebox. Just having trouble connecting each end to the quad lock connectors as no one seems to know where to purchase the pins from, not even BMW themselves, so I have come to a halt at the moment.
I would have soldered them?

Are you sure from quad connector cables to gearbox control unit is already laid out. Thanks for explaining me the cable routing but picture would really help me doing it. I am thinking of doing it at my next opportunity.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Members

I would have soldered them?

Are you sure from quad connector cables to gearbox control unit is already laid out. Thanks for explaining me the cable routing but picture would really help me doing it. I am thinking of doing it at my next opportunity.
The cable from the ebox to the gearbox control unit is already there, you just need to install the cable from the SZL to the ebox which is the one I am referring to. I do have some pictures which I will up load asap.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 LCI

Originally Posted by kleynie

See attached file.
Password:goodoldgermany
Attached Thumbnails Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-cid_image001_jpg%4001cc08a2.jpg   Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-x-6031-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SZL_and_connector_location.pdf (331.3 KB, 355 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hermman
See attached file.
Password:goodoldgermany
I had this diy file already and to be honest the pictures of the ebox dont help at all as they are of a left hand drive car and the ebox is totally different to mine (right hand drive). I only found quadlock connector X6031 because it has the same part number which you can just make out in one of the pictures in the diy attached. Otherwise the diy was VERY helpful.

I am still at a loss as to where to purchase the correct pins for the quadlock and would appreciate some help with that.

Also my BMW parts department tell me I need a new steering column to make the paddles work, I am wondering if this is due to my car having active steering? There is only one way to find out!

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit