E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
4) If you don?t want the paddles, the EGS module code needs to be manually altered ? I?m not sure a dealer can do this. I suspect a dealer can change the VO and code the car and you get what you get ? which is an error because the paddles are missing. There is a single line in the EGS code to enable paddles or no paddles ? a simple change from wert_01 to wert_00. The default dealer code will enable paddles ? a manual change can remove the paddles.
NoQuarter - my understanding (from discusions with the tech that completed my install) was that the paddle shifters were a separate code/option that could be added/removed from the VO independent of the SAT S2TBA code. For the short time before we identified the missing wires from the SZL to the ebox, this was the plan for the "fix" to bring back the DS mode and allowing the car to stay in manual mode. I say "fix" as it would have left me without the use of the paddles, but he expected it would give me all of the other functionality.

The error you are encountering is the vehicle is expecting to receive a signal from the paddles, but isn't, so it's throwing the shift box into a "safe" mode.

To be fair, I found the wiring SIB and the tech figured out the missing ground wire before we had to go down this path, but you may want to look into this as an option.

Bert - sorry to hear you are still having issues with running the wires, but you are attempting something none of the rest of us have done ourselves. You may need to consult a dealer or indy shop with an up-to-date wiring diagram (with connector pics) to get you going again. I would be happy to pull apart my car to take a pic of the e-box connectors, but just not when it's -30c outside
Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I echo that - have had between 0 and - 10 c for the last two weeks and it will stay that way for another month at least; don't fancy splitting the car in biting frost.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

This is awesome. I don't want the paddles. I just want the SAT.

If I just do the hardware swap, what exactly will I miss?

I'd love to have a better throttle response and more convenient (occasional) shifting.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Revmatching, sportindicator on cluster, gearindicator when in ds mode - oh, and yes, the delicious paddles...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Revmatching, sportindicator on cluster, gearindicator when in ds mode - oh, and yes, the delicious paddles...
- Excuse my dumbness, but what's a revmatching? I thought keeping the optimal revs when changing gears makes sense only on manual transmissions. All automatic transmissions rev match by definition.
- How do you engage a DS mode on SAT? By pressing the SPORT button? Where should the gear indicator appear then? In the cluster, like the missing "SPORT" label?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

What's a revmatching? When you downshift, the car revs the engine to match the inevitable increased engine load.

- How do you engage a DS mode on SAT? Pull shifter to the left.

Where should the gear indicator appear then? In the cluster, instead of the "D". A bit below the missing "SPORT" label.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

And when you pull the shifter to the left, does it stay there like standard auto-transmission joystick, or does it return to the center position?

The revmatching issue seems suspicious to me. If it doesn't rev-match without coding at the dealer, than it's a major problem. A simple hardware swap is not 95% of the mod then, I would say it's minus 100%! Rev-matching is critical.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

it stays.

revmatching can be nice on a rare few occassions. Mostly you wont notice it unless you are forcing a lower gear from high rpm - and there's a limit to how high the rpm can be; as with any slushbox, the notion of manual control only goes so far and there's a lot of chaperoning going on, so I'll still maintain that you get around to 95% without the paddles if you really arent hot on the extra expense of the paddles. Personally I wanted to be without but had to upgrade due to the programming deadlock I got into. I thought the price of the two paddles were a tad high but on reflection I think it fair, given the quality and workmanship and I not only enjoy using them; I also enjoy looking at them...
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Navarro. Maybe I still don't get it. What are you referring to is the safety feature of all automatic transmission. If you force a low gear it either won't engage that downshift at all, or upshift for you automatically in case the RPMs are too high (can cause engine damage).
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

kreveta - the rev matching effectively "blips" the throttle on downshifts so that you don't get a huge engine-braking drag every time you downshift. As for the "safety" behaviour of the auto trans, you get a lot more leeway with the SAT option... it will let you downshift and rev match as long as you dont exceed the rev limit, and if you are in manual mode with "sport" button pressed, then you can drive away at the rev limiter without it upshifting for you Note - in DS or without the "sport" button pressed it will still intervene to upshift...

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit