E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad that this MOD is still alive nearly 3 years after I did it on my beautiful white e60...

Must admit, one of the best features on my f10 is the SAT...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'm not sure I have my SAT fully functional and am a bit confused on what it is supposed to be doing.

I do not have the paddles installed or coded

1) I have "sport" displaying in the cluster
2) I can pull the lever to the left and shift manually and see M1-M2-M3 and so on. If I delay just a few seconds it switches back to automatic mode "D". I think this is the same behavior when in automatic and one uses the paddles to shift

3) I don't have the "DS" mode where it stays in autmatic (but sportier). I also don't get an S1-S6 display.

4) I can't put it in a manual gear and expect the car to stay there - it will shift automatically after a a few seconds.

5) The steering clearly gets stiffer but I wouldn't call it more responsive - not sure I get the point. It is just harder to turn.

Should I still have a "DS" mode like I had before?
Should I be able to put it in a manual gear and expect it to stay there (unless I rev to high)?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I'm not sure I have my SAT fully functional and am a bit confused on what it is supposed to be doing.

I do not have the paddles installed or coded

1) I have "sport" displaying in the cluster
2) I can pull the lever to the left and shift manually and see M1-M2-M3 and so on. If I delay just a few seconds it switches back to automatic mode "D". I think this is the same behavior when in automatic and one uses the paddles to shift

3) I don't have the "DS" mode where it stays in autmatic (but sportier). I also don't get an S1-S6 display.

4) I can't put it in a manual gear and expect the car to stay there - it will shift automatically after a a few seconds.

5) The steering clearly gets stiffer but I wouldn't call it more responsive - not sure I get the point. It is just harder to turn.

Should I still have a "DS" mode like I had before?
Should I be able to put it in a manual gear and expect it to stay there (unless I rev to high)?
----------------
congrats on getting this far, you are almost there. You have the EXACT same symptoms I had when the car was not coded properly. Please go back in the thread and see my posts or WPG550's. You will now need to have the car coded including a new VO (vehicle order) number which importantly have the original automatic DELETED and the sportsautomatic added. You will also need to run the 2 wires describet, which BERT is presently struggling with; both WPG550 and I had it done at the dealer and it was quick as far as the wires go.

Please note that if the dealer have to first bring your general software uptodate, it is important that you bring along the original shifterbox, as they will need that installed when they do the update of software. Then they can change the VO when the car is uptodate, and then hook up the new shifterbox and program the sportsautomatic.

as to car not being able to stay in manual, that will get fixed with the coding. As to the heavy steering (H E A V Y), well I for one appreciate that very much as I've driven single seater formula cars and they are H E A V Y when you drive slow and driving my e61 with the sportsbutton engaged invokes that nice, heavy racy feeling of a single seater formula car (if I close my eyes... and dont look at all the luxurious interior bits)..

good luck with the coding and keep us posted
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
----------------
congrats on getting this far, you are almost there. You have the EXACT same symptoms I had when the car was not coded properly. Please go back in the thread and see my posts or WPG550's. You will now need to have the car coded including a new VO (vehicle order) number which importantly have the original automatic DELETED and the sportsautomatic added. You will also need to run the 2 wires describet, which BERT is presently struggling with; both WPG550 and I had it done at the dealer and it was quick as far as the wires go.

Please note that if the dealer have to first bring your general software uptodate, it is important that you bring along the original shifterbox, as they will need that installed when they do the update of software. Then they can change the VO when the car is uptodate, and then hook up the new shifterbox and program the sportsautomatic.

as to car not being able to stay in manual, that will get fixed with the coding. As to the heavy steering (H E A V Y), well I for one appreciate that very much as I've driven single seater formula cars and they are H E A V Y when you drive slow and driving my e61 with the sportsbutton engaged invokes that nice, heavy racy feeling of a single seater formula car (if I close my eyes... and dont look at all the luxurious interior bits)..

good luck with the coding and keep us posted
Navarro - Thanks for the thoughtful response. I will certainly go back and study the discussion some more. I don't have any paddles installed and didn't intend to - I made the conclusion the wiring part of the discussion didn't apply to me but maybe it still does. Was it an option to order the SAT without paddles?

For now, I am working on the coding myself. I did follow the tip to remove the automatic option S205A and add in the SAT S2TBA for the VO. Then coded EGS, kombi, SZL and a couple others. Kinda shooting in the dark right now on which modules I am missing - trying not to do a whole car re-code.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

OK that's your problem then; I thought you went for the full paddle install. If you just want 95% of the functions, but without the paddles, then you should not do any coding at all and simply only install the hardware. That you have now removed the standard transmission and coded the SAT will give you an error as it is an incomplete install and it is now looking for the missing paddles. I had that as well, and asked the dealer to bring it back to how it was, but it never really worked well after that. I could use the transmission in manual again and I did get heavy steering when I pushed the sports button, but there was no discernible influence on the shifting patterns or throttle response after the dealer recoded the normal automatic. Since you really dont want the paddles, try and recode it back to the standard transmission and hope for the best; else you'll have to fess up the dough for the paddles, do the additional wiring and then code the SAT again. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

I think I have everything sorted out. Once I drive a few more times to be sure, I will write up a new DIY referring back to this one. I want to do a new because the DIY will be 100% DIY (no dealer required).

I have the SAT retrofit working on a 2008 535xi without the paddles with 100% functionality - if you can call no paddles 100% . I learned after the fact that this wasn't an option on the xi models - couldn't buy a xi with the SAT according to the sales brochure let alone buy SAT without paddles.

Thanks NavarroOne for the feedback ? it was your comments that helped guide me on how to get this sorted out

This is what is going on as best I have figured out:

1) Installing the SAT with no programming gives most of the functionality right away

2) When the dealer programs the car without the paddles, you lose the DS and manual mode because of the error condition from the paddles but you will get the instrument cluster programmed which of course adds the ?sport? indicator but it also changes some RPM damping and other engine data of some sort ? not real clear to me what changes but there are several lines of code in there referring to engine data and RPM stuff.

3) If you want the paddles, you have to add in the wires according to the documents posted in this thread. You will then get DS and manual mode back.

4) If you don?t want the paddles, the EGS module code needs to be manually altered ? I?m not sure a dealer can do this. I suspect a dealer can change the VO and code the car and you get what you get ? which is an error because the paddles are missing. There is a single line in the EGS code to enable paddles or no paddles ? a simple change from wert_01 to wert_00. The default dealer code will enable paddles ? a manual change can remove the paddles.

5) With no dealer costs, no new steering wheel and no paddles cost, this is an incredible upgrade for ~$500 USD.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
3) If you want the paddles, you have to add in the wires according to the documents posted in this thread.

with the actually information we have here in the thread is this not possible to make it yourself :thumbsdown:
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bert69
with the actually information we have here in the thread is this not possible to make it yourself :thumbsdown:
Sorry. I don't understand the question. Make what myself?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Members

NoQuarter, the DIY for the paddles is not complete. nobody knows the connector x6031 .
only with the DIY it is impossible .

- Install 1 wire into pin 13 on SZL connector (x1880) and run to connector x6031 in ebox to pin 11 red/white wire-

in the ebox are more then one connector :thumbsdown: thats the problem .
and there are more the one red/white wire :thumbsdown:
Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bert69
NoQuarter, the DIY for the paddles is not complete. nobody knows the connector x6031 .
only with the DIY it is impossible .

- Install 1 wire into pin 13 on SZL connector (x1880) and run to connector x6031 in ebox to pin 11 red/white wire-

in the ebox are more then one connector :thumbsdown: thats the problem .
and there are more the one red/white wire :thumbsdown:
Ok... I admit I have not studied this info very much but since you say it does not work I figure my comments can't hurt and might create some new thoughts:

1) The diagram in post 178 says pin 11 on x6031 is blue/grey not red/white (if it existed)

2) and x6031 is the one I circled in red:

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-x6031.jpg

3) I can't figure out why you are looking for any wire either red/white or blue/grey. The wire doesn't exist if there are no paddles - isn't that why you are needing to add the wire?

4) What color is the wire from the matching connector that pin 11 goes to?

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit