E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by bmwfive
All done

LED bulbs with resistor still present, no errors and no dim bulbs.
Which resistors did you use?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

And what LED bulbs
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
Which resistors did you use?
The same resistors as before. (10w 15ohm wirewound)

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
And what LED bulbs
They look like the bulbs that 'Sas' has posted pics of. You can find them all over eBay and majority of them look like the same product as far as I can tell. You will need to modify them though, this is because the metal part is too long and the plastic fitting is smaller than the original fitting:

This is what it looks like to begin with.

You will need to cut the end off of your original bulb holders.

Then glue these to the new led holders. (I used epoxy resin)

Finished.

I hope this helps.

...as for the brightness; I wouldn't say that these bulbs are any more visible in the day than the stock bulbs would have been (without resistors), but certainly brighter than stock bulbs (with resistors). Unfortunately I didn't take any 'before' shots.
Maybe the leds would be even brighter without resistors , but I'm more than happy with the brightness as they are.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Members

UPDATE:
I think I have spoke too soon. Tonight I noticed that the new bulbs are occasionally 'blinking'. (quickly off and on) It does it on both sides at the same time so it can't be a problem with the connection. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

...warm bulb check?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 528i
Model Year: 2008

How can I handle the keystore file downloaded?
I downloaded ISTA v38 full package from www.firstload.net but I couldn't unpack those files.
Should I get password from that author or find another download w/o keystore?

1. client.keystroke 21kb KEYSTORE FILE
2. ISTA_P_2.38_0.Disk1_3.iso 11,720KB
3. ISTA_P_2.38_0.Disk2_3.iso 4,557,344KB
4. ISTA_P_2.38_0.Disk1_3.iso 4,192,832KB
5. Jetunpack.exe 1,258KB

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by bmwfive
UPDATE:
I think I have spoke too soon. Tonight I noticed that the new bulbs are occasionally 'blinking'. (quickly off and on) It does it on both sides at the same time so it can't be a problem with the connection. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

...warm bulb check?
Elaborate a little more. I am assuming you are referring to your modified angel eyes? And under what circumstance will they be blinking? If it's possible to post a short video, that might be better as well. Additionally, does it always come back on?

Originally Posted by kbimmer
How can I handle the keystore file downloaded?
I downloaded ISTA v38 full package from www.firstload.net but I couldn't unpack those files.
Should I get password from that author or find another download w/o keystore?

1. client.keystroke 21kb KEYSTORE FILE
2. ISTA_P_2.38_0.Disk1_3.iso 11,720KB
3. ISTA_P_2.38_0.Disk2_3.iso 4,557,344KB
4. ISTA_P_2.38_0.Disk1_3.iso 4,192,832KB
5. Jetunpack.exe 1,258KB

Thanks in advance.
Dude, don't spam random posts. You're not going to get help that way.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Elaborate a little more. I am assuming you are referring to your modified angel eyes? And under what circumstance will they be blinking? If it's possible to post a short video, that might be better as well. Additionally, does it always come back on?
Yes I'm referring to the modified ones, as shown in the post before. After a short drive last night, I looked at the front end of the car to check they were still working ok. I then noticed that they blinked off-and-on quickly. (It kept doing this every 5-10 seconds or so)
The engine was still on when this was happening, but when I went back out to the car around 30mins later, I put the angel eyes on again, and they stayed on solid.(only on ignition this time)
I will test this more tonight:
Engine on, igntition on, main beam & sidelights, sidelights only etc.

...and yes, they always come back on.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Humm, yah, a good testing might unveil more clues.

If I were to guess right now, it almost sounds like the LEDs might be experiencing issues. Wonder if it's possibly a heat problem due to the holder somewhat encasing the bulbs' heatsink, almost causing a baking effect.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Humm, yah, a good testing might unveil more clues.

If I were to guess right now, it almost sounds like the LEDs might be experiencing issues. Wonder if it's possibly a heat problem due to the holder somewhat encasing the bulbs' heatsink, almost causing a baking effect.
I have tried a couple of tests, but I cannot seem to replicate the problem. Last night I had already been driving with the lights on for around 10-15 mins and this is when I noticed the problem. Maybe the lights weren't on for long enough in my testing.

The fact that the bulbs have had time to heat up supports your suggestion with the overheating, but I'm not sure that this is the cause as both bulbs flicker at the exact same time. (every time)

Perhaps the car's 'bulb checks' could be the cause: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9415624
In the above link, they are discussing flickers at startup. Although this isn't exactly the same symptoms, it may be worth turning off the bulb checks with coding and just keeping an eye on them.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Contributors

From what you're saying, you're suggesting it's the warm check that's cycling it. However, I am skeptical of that. The reason is that the warm check is in place to verify the current and voltage being drawn, I don't think it functions the same way as cold checks at all. From your description, the behavior sounds more like cold check, which obviously isn't the case here.

Quick Reply: Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion