E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

^Yes, I would say to do that. I am guessing you're using ceramic resistors right now. They can get burning hot and melt "stuff", so I would definitely put them on the outside.

If possible, I would get the ones with heatsink to be on the safe side.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

The resistors used by me and livefour2day - suggested by BS64 - is wrapped into the cables and does not get too hot so if your using the same resistor you shouldnt have any issues.

It would be good to known if The LED angel eyes cancel out the dimness as this would solve my problem as well.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
^Yes, I would say to do that. I am guessing you're using ceramic resistors right now. They can get burning hot and melt "stuff", so I would definitely put them on the outside.

If possible, I would get the ones with heatsink to be on the safe side.
Sounds good, I'll do this next.
Hopefully this will be the last time I need to take the cables off of the car.

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
The resistors used by me and livefour2day - suggested by BS64 - is wrapped into the cables and does not get too hot so if your using the same resistor you shouldnt have any issues.

It would be good to known if The LED angel eyes cancel out the dimness as this would solve my problem as well.
I'll keep you updated mate.
...the resistors used are the same type and rating as the pic shown in livefour2day's earlier post, but definitely too hot for my liking.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Livefour2day soldered my resistors to the cables and I noticed he also some sort wrap around the resistors - probably some heat sink/wrap but I have no clue about things like this. I've never had a problem so might be an easier fix then having long wires to the resistors. Also means you can keep the resistors with the cables nice and neat
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
Livefour2day soldered my resistors to the cables and I noticed he also some sort wrap around the resistors - probably some heat sink/wrap but I have no clue about things like this. I've never had a problem so might be an easier fix then having long wires to the resistors. Also means you can keep the resistors with the cables nice and neat
I'll pm him to confirm what this is.
Wouldn't wrapping it in anything just make it worse?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Thought I would post my attempt at pre-LCI to LCI halogen cables. These are a one off and I will not be making any more.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Nice Dav530d,
BMW would have done well to include something like this in their LCI Head Light conversion kit rather than making you chop the connector ends off, re-terminating all the wires with new pins and then re-assembling the new connector. So much margin for error this way.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Nice Dav530d,
BMW would have done well to include something like this in their LCI Head Light conversion kit rather than making you chop the connector ends off, re-terminating all the wires with new pins and then re-assembling the new connector. So much margin for error this way.
Actually, using the parts to make the conversion cables for the halogen to halogen conversion does not require chopping any wires off! And quite honestly, it's actually a whole lot easier to go from pre-LCI halogens to LCI halogens than pre-LCI xenon to LCI xenon. Not to mention a lot cheaper as well.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Actually, using the parts to make the conversion cables for the halogen to halogen conversion does not require chopping any wires off!
Ah hah. I completely missed this. We are talking Halogens here, not Xenons....
Old 06-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Members

All done

LED bulbs with resistor still present, no errors and no dim bulbs.

Quick Reply: Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion