E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Originally Posted by Sas
Gonna try:
Now
Attachment 114711

Change to
Attachment 114712

B6S4?

That won't work, you are effectively putting the resistor in parallel with the AE bulb which will actually reduce the resistance rather than raise it, which is what is needed. I'm thinking the only way to get full brightness of the AE with no errors is to implement a relay on the AE circuit. This can be done relatively easily, it will require a larger value resistor where the AE bulb goes then connect a relayed circuit to the AE in the headlight. Hopefully I can get my hands on a set of lights soon so I can do some testing.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by d4rkchocolate
Hi mate,

got the factory 4300k and the H8 is 6000k

it looks amazing, so far nobody's flashed me, just loads of stares from other E60's saying what da F$rigg is that!!! lol
Top job mate.

Looks good - I'll have to pass by to check them out in person.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
I fitted the cables with the resistors added to them.

Now I get rear light right faliure as soon as the low beams are turned on and it jus stays there. I didn't get any other errors when I was driving. There are no errors when the lights are off or the angel eyes are on.

Also, the angel eyes are very dim - possibly dimmer than pre-LCI halo angel eyes.

I'll try John's HID kit tomorrow and if I the error stays the same, I'll think about whether I can live with the permanent error. It's certainly better than coming on everytime I brake.
Tried Johns HID kit and get "rear light right faliure" and "rear light left faliure" as soon as I turn the low beams on. They disappear when I drive off but once again, I get "rear light right faliure" everytime I hold the brake pedal down for a few secs. I also tried an error canceller cable on the right side light (I only had one error canceller cable) but this doesn't change anything.

So looks at the moment I can only have the original halogen bulbs in the LCI headlight and then I have "rear light right side" faliure permantely on and dim angel eyes.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

Originally Posted by B6S4
That won't work, you are effectively putting the resistor in parallel with the AE bulb which will actually reduce the resistance rather than raise it, which is what is needed. I'm thinking the only way to get full brightness of the AE with no errors is to implement a relay on the AE circuit. This can be done relatively easily, it will require a larger value resistor where the AE bulb goes then connect a relayed circuit to the AE in the headlight. Hopefully I can get my hands on a set of lights soon so I can do some testing.
B6S4 if you want me to try your idea with the relay I happy to test on my lights but you will need to explain what I will need and a wiring diagram, please and I will buy the items and test.

I have removed the resistors on mine as I didn't like the dimness of the AEs so I just put up with the error.

happy to test if you want me too, just need diagram and parts list.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by livefour2day
B6S4 if you want me to try your idea with the relay I happy to test on my lights but you will need to explain what I will need and a wiring diagram, please and I will buy the items and test.

I have removed the resistors on mine as I didn't like the dimness of the AEs so I just put up with the error.

happy to test if you want me too, just need diagram and parts list.
Any progress with the relay?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

Any progress with the relay?
Hi Jas

no sorry waiting for a diagram and parts lists and I will have a go at it think B6S4 is busy right now, when he's not hopefully he can do some details for us.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Members

Top job mate.

Looks good - I'll have to pass by to check them out in person.

cheers man,

ive managed to code my bi-xenons to work as flash to pass now which is good, so i,m gonna put resistors in the inners (where the pre-LCI config is for flasher) and then i wont need to get the new LCM for now, as everything works, so quite a happy turn out..

got the pre lci to LCI, with the HID Xenons angels, and now activated the Bi-xenon flashers, with a 2003 LCM so it is possible with a bit of messing about.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Originally Posted by livefour2day
Hi Jas

no sorry waiting for a diagram and parts lists and I will have a go at it think B6S4 is busy right now, when he's not hopefully he can do some details for us.

Sorry guys, been extremely busy lately, after this week, things should calm down. I'll draw up a diagram this weekend with what I think should work.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

If that relay idea works then we could fit the H8 bulb , keeping my fingers crost.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Where do you plug the H8 bulb into inside the headlight? Is there an opening and/or placeholder in the LCI Halogen headlight like inside the LCI Xenon headlight?

As far as relay ... you can use a common standard simple automotive relay:

85 = (-) Neg./Ground
86 = Wire from stock AE
30 = (+) Pos. battery terminal in engine bay
87 = to AE bulb inside headlight.

Basically, it gives small current power to 86 and the 87 will get full/bigger power from 30 -> bright, cuz directly powering 87 from 86 is not enough power -> dim.

GL!

Originally Posted by Sas
If that relay idea works then we could fit the H8 bulb , keeping my fingers crost.

Quick Reply: Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion