E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Sometime iDrive tend to be more sensitive during the initial check ... try to check and see if you set it at off instead of auto if its still error out.

Originally Posted by livefour2day
Yes had AE on I don't think I ever get the error if lights are off, I soldered the resistor to the wires and I am confident the connection is ok

The error came on as soon as I started the car I have lights set to auto
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 525d MSport 19" 172s Leather - Heated No-Nav, M-ASK, MP3 Playback, BMW Ipod Interface, CD-Prep

Thanks nexus66, i think your right thats what i was thinking but the picture below is what Brabus made for Sas and they look like all the led's you can get on ebay / HID dealers etc, i want to buy from Brabus but they are £120 so really need to justify having them at that price.

Want to try and mod some like Brabus does but dont know if i should leave that to him.
I spoke to Brabus briefly about this before I ordered my HIDs from him. It sounds quite straightforward. I think you pretty much cut away enough of the reflector/bulb area to allow the LED unit to push through. You then mount the reflector with the LED wedged into it, back into the headlight. Sounds easy - possibly quite awkward in practice. I guess you'd need to epoxy the LED into the reflector housing to make sure it didn't come loose? You can source MTEC 2.1s for ~£50/60 here in the UK. Given that its a 10W bulb you're replacing, I guess you want to ensure you get the brightest LED possible - hence the MTEC 2.1s!!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

Thanks Guys,

Thought I would try starting my car with headlights off this morning, and got the error again and the error is in the idrive list now with the warning triangle in the speedometer display so I am guessing this could be a connection problem as you guys suggested both AE lights are working as I checked while lights where on, although the side with the fault looks slightly dimmer than the other side.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Got the resistors (thanks livefour2day) but won't get time to fit until Monday (if it stops raining). Otherwise I'll have to fit them on Tuesday in my works underground car park.

I'm thinking to use scotch locks to connect the resistor to Sas' cable as I have no clue about soldering.

Hopefully the problem livefour2day is having is just a loose connection.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
Got the resistors (thanks livefour2day) but won't get time to fit until Monday (if it stops raining). Otherwise I'll have to fit them on Tuesday in my works underground car park.

I'm thinking to use scotch locks to connect the resistor to Sas' cable as I have no clue about soldering.

Hopefully the problem livefour2day is having is just a loose connection.
No Problem glad you got them, if I were you I wouldn't use scotch locks you will not get a good enough connection and then you will have the same issues I am having, if you want you can send me your cables and resistors and I will solder them for you.

cant do anything more on my car at the moment as its in the body shop as some idiot reversed into my front bumper so wont be getting it back untill end of the week.

PM if you want my address for me to solder your cables.

I found out which cable on mine was possibly a bad connection and giving me resistance issues so I will be re soldering it when I get me car back.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

No Problem glad you got them, if I were you I wouldn't use scotch locks you will not get a good enough connection and then you will have the same issues I am having, if you want you can send me your cables and resistors and I will solder them for you.

cant do anything more on my car at the moment as its in the body shop as some idiot reversed into my front bumper so wont be getting it back untill end of the week.

PM if you want my address for me to solder your cables.

I found out which cable on mine was possibly a bad connection and giving me resistance issues so I will be re soldering it when I get me car back.
PM sent

Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

Any updates?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

I've sent my cables to livefour2day. He should be soldering the resistors and getting the cables back to me next week so it's just a matter of testing once I get them back.

Hopefully livefour2day has got his car back and provide some feedback sooner.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
I've sent my cables to livefour2day. He should be soldering the resistors and getting the cables back to me next week so it's just a matter of testing once I get them back.

Hopefully livefour2day has got his car back and provide some feedback sooner.
Just a thought:
Instead of putting the resistor between the feed wire to the AE's (that dims the bulb a little), why not draw extra current from the feed to the AE's (like you would add a extra 5watt bulb sort of speak). Is this duable or am i wrong on this?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sas
Just a thought:
Instead of putting the resistor between the feed wire to the AE's (that dims the bulb a little), why not draw extra current from the feed to the AE's (like you would add a extra 5watt bulb sort of speak). Is this duable or am i wrong on this?
Don't understand what you mean Sas can you explain more please ...

Jas finished one cable doing the second later tonight, should be getting my car back tomorrow. ( hope so they have given my the new Merc E320 cdi and it drinks fuel likes there's no tomorrow)

Quick Reply: Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion