E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

jas_r_1 you have got me really worried now didn't think they would get hot as I wired them with the other wires then taped the loom back up.

do they get really hot? or will they be ok as I will have to take the lights out and separate the resistor.

one thing I think I have noticed but I might be paranoid is the angel eye rings look a little dimmer can the resistors reduce the power to the AE's

but that could just be me....

apart from that no idrive errors at all after a hours drive in the cold today..

jas_r_1 yes the two wires in the loom are connected to one end of the resistor and then the one wire is connected to the other.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

Glad to see that there is a solution to the parking light faults, hope it will help jas with his errors.

Big thanks to B6S4 for running the simulations and livefour2day for the testing
Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

I know a 25w 25ohm resistor gets really hot. Not sure about the resistor you got as it's lower watts and ohm. Hopefully it will be fine as it would be good to keep it all with the wiring.

If I was you I would just check the resistor/wires just to make sure they are ok. If they are, please take a picture so I can do the same set up.

Good to hear there were no errors - can't wait to get the resistors and try on my set up now.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
I know a 25w 25ohm resistor gets really hot. Not sure about the resistor you got as it's lower watts and ohm. Hopefully it will be fine as it would be good to keep it all with the wiring.

If I was you I would just check the resistor/wires just to make sure they are ok. If they are, please take a picture so I can do the same set up.

Good to hear there were no errors - can't wait to get the resistors and try on my set up now.
Yes think I will keep an eye on them, I wonder if the resistor does reduce the power to the AE maybe I am going mad but so happy there are no errors now.

I will be posting them out to you in the morning
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Cheers mate.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Originally Posted by livefour2day
Yes think I will keep an eye on them, I wonder if the resistor does reduce the power to the AE maybe I am going mad but so happy there are no errors now.

I will be posting them out to you in the morning

Glad all the errors are gone, unfortunately, the resistor will reduce some power going to the AE bulb. The solution to this would be to try an LED upgrade as those lights require less power to be just as bright if not brighter. Give me a day or 2, let me look at the circuit again to see if there is any other way to do this without causing power reduction to the AE.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by B6S4
Glad all the errors are gone, unfortunately, the resistor will reduce some power going to the AE bulb. The solution to this would be to try an LED upgrade as those lights require less power to be just as bright if not brighter. Give me a day or 2, let me look at the circuit again to see if there is any other way to do this without causing power reduction to the AE.
BS64 - please confirm if these resistors would put out alot of heat
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
BS64 - please confirm if these resistors would put out alot of heat

Hard to say without knowing the type of resistor. From the pic, it looks like a wire wound resistor, but without a datasheet, it will be difficult to determine how the resistor responds to current. All resistors will produce some amount of heat but based on the amount current passing through the resistor, it shouldnt get too hot. I would just check the resistor after about 3 minutes of operation, if it isn't too hot by then, I would think it should be fine.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 AM
Members

jas_r_1 just been for a 1 hour drive and open the hood the resistor was warm but not hot i could hold in in my fingers with no problem tried both sides and they are the same, posted out to you today.

...... Still no errors
Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Members

Thanks B6S4, does anyone know what LED AE will fit the LCI Halogens as alot of them say only for LCI Xennon

Quick Reply: Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion