E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

This is all useless without a final result. So let me get this straight, we're supposed to spend $300+ for a mod to experiment on? Someone explain this to me,..... like I was a six year old.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='693019' date='Oct 14 2008, 04:36 PM
This is all useless without a final result. So let me get this straight, we're supposed to spend $300+ for a mod to experiment on? Someone explain this to me,..... like I was a six year old.
I could not agree anymore to this statement....!!
aFe engineer...why not you explain to us the reasoning behind the design of intake for the 545/550?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='693005' date='Oct 14 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm willing to give AFE a chance before we totally start bashing them to prove to us that we did not lose HP or even stay the same.. I want to see some kind of gain.

I agree because many of us already paid for this. They said they ran dynos (there are gains as they say) and also said leave the ECU recalculate the flow (it takes 200-500 miles).

Remember: You can find skeptics and negative information about any product even there are BMW haters out there. AFE has been running in the business since 1999 and I heard a good reputation from them and hundreds of testimonials from users and car magazines.

All I can say is this to give them a chance.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by afeengineer' post='692880' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:23 AM
If the car is doing 100mph on the dyno and your fan blows at 10-15 mph do you think the fan will blow enough air through the grills to provide enough airflow for that engine? The answer is NO.
Good metaphor, but I think if the fan can simulated 70mph wind, that should give enough airflow for testing.

the hood should be left open to allow for enough airflow. That is why we dyno the vehicles with the hoods open to allow for sufficient airflow under the hood.
I totally disagreed on testing with hood open. I think we should test the way it suppose to be used in real world. Similar case to force induction car, one might has a nice looking dyno number on ideal condition, but not perform well on the real world condition when people run back-to-back passes. Ops, my car got heat-soak, I need a time-out. Just my 0.02.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Members

ok..... this whole adjusting thing after 250-500 miles or whatever is a total load of b.s.

I am the guy that put up the money for the AFE for my E60 M5 that was dyno'd at RPI. I have no affiliation with RPI and am nothing more than a Dyno customer at their shop (I do have the scoops, however). I am a former AFE owner from my E46 M3 and had great luck with that one. So I decided to sack up and throw down the $$$ to be the guinea pig for this one.

here is a bit of my review that I posted on M5board:

Dyno:
We did a few baseline pulls to see where we were starting from. These were disappointing, but that?s for another post. At least we had something to go off of.
I have attached the dyno so you can see.
005= setup as listed above ? hood closed
006= AFE Intake ? RPI Scoops "blocked" ? hood closed
008= AFE Intake ? RPI Scoops ? hood closed
010= AFE Intake ? RPI Scoops ? hood open

As you can see, my baseline was low to begin with. I?ll work on that this week. But there is a clear drop in RWHP with the AFE Intake compared to the baseline run. The drop is in the 20-25+ range!!!! Even with the hood open, the AFE loses big power throughout the midrange of the power band until almost 7000 rpms where it matches and barely goes higher than stock. AND STILL - in the end my best peak pull was with the stock airbox at about 382 hp!

As you can see from the Dyno, the only way I even gained 1 horsepower was with the hood open. HOWEVER, throughout about 95% of the power band there is still a huge loss!!

Drove around on the AFE for a week. No change. felt sooo different than when I had my stock airbox.

So then I decided to give Dinan a try. Got the Intake and software put on. Dyno's the next day and got this (after driving 50 miles at most):

009: previous run w/ AFE installed
005: previous run w/ stock airbox before AFE installation
016: Dinan intake and software

And... again today with the Dinan Mid-Section added:

All runs were the same setup as 016 above, except for the addition of the Dinan Mid-section.

The proof is in the pudding here guys. I am fighting to get my money back from Vivid Racing (where I bought the intake - ultimately its AFE who will be refunding them)

This whole 500 miles for ECU adjustment is a load of b.s.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributors

I got the aFe from Trinity and added it to a B&B "Triflow" exhust. Everything 'feels' more powerful, especially if I put that sucker in DS mode but I've never dyno'ed the car. After both were installed, I had DSC activate for the first time ever just leaving my driveway, but still, more money (vs K&N) for less horsepower? Wha fa duck?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I would like to ask the AFE engineer what was the basis of the design and choice of metal construction. I would also like to see his data showing it takes 250-500 miles for the ECU to 'adjust.'

Seems to me the real world testers have spoken...AFE causes power loss.

That should be sufficient for them to at least look into the collected data on E60.net and work with us for a remedy.

Will
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='693141' date='Oct 14 2008, 06:41 PM
I got the aFe from Trinity and added it to a B&B "Triflow" exhust. Everything 'feels' more powerful, especially if I put that sucker in DS mode but I've never dyno'ed the car. After both were installed, I had DSC activate for the first time ever just leaving my driveway, but still, more money (vs K&N) for less horsepower? Wha fa duck?

My point exactly! Can we get the straight scoop. Now Trinity wants to sell some red scoop. What the hell's a red scoop??? I don't mind spending $$$ on mods, but come on now.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='693019' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:36 PM
Nice quote, great movie...

GL with all this fellow members

Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I got yellow Service Engine Soon on the dash (but nothin' on the iDrive) after using AFE CAI for 2 mos & 7 days (exactly 2260 miles) then all good after several miles of driving the next morning after I replaced the stock air box w/ K&N filter back in.

Originally Posted by miguex' post='692959
ok regardless of the power..why are people getting check engine lights with the AFE?
I have AFe (for 3 months) and never got a Check Engine lights.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi