E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='692379
I'll ban you, bitch! Luke - I am your father.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

How about this mod: http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/mycoffeecan/page1.html ?

HAHAHAHA!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Still waiting for AFE to respond
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Members

I want to introduce myself on this forum. I am the air intakes program manager for aFe. In reading this thread I have noticed several issues with the validity of the dynos. Back to back dyno tests do not show the true gains on the vehicle. At aFe we allow 200-500 miles on the vehicle with the intake on before finalizing our dyno numbers. We have found this out by doing dyno tests in stages and typically there is a loss of power when the intake is first installed. Over time the ECU will readapt to the increased airflow and the vehicle will make power. The dyno used at aFe is a mustang MD250 dyno.

Dyno results can be skewed by first running the aftermarket intake system and immediately dynoing the vehicle with the stock system. This results in an overly rich situation which results in invalid numbers.

If the car is doing 100mph on the dyno and your fan blows at 10-15 mph do you think the fan will blow enough air through the grills to provide enough airflow for that engine? The answer is NO. Unless you have a wind tunnel dyno which most dynos do not have, the hood should be left open to allow for enough airflow. That is why we dyno the vehicles with the hoods open to allow for sufficient airflow under the hood.

I would like to defend the company and vendors that work with aFe. You will always have other competitors testing our products differently than aFe. I am not on here to argue with anyone just stating the facts about how we come up with our dyno tests. If there are valid questions I will answer them to the best of my ability.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Nice and welcome Afeengineer!!! I have your AFE (with insulators).

To me the best test is to run the cars with different mods (DINAN VS RPI VS AFE) on tracks and see the results.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535d Fully loaded

well, i was almost shot down when i gave my opinion here, but it seems i was right!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...raiser&st=0

Not pointing my finger, but you should be very careful when you mess with the "air that goes in your car"!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by afeengineer' post='692880' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:23 AM
I want to introduce myself on this forum. I am the air intakes program manager for aFe. In reading this thread I have noticed several issues with the validity of the dynos. Back to back dyno tests do not show the true gains on the vehicle. At aFe we allow 200-500 miles on the vehicle with the intake on before finalizing our dyno numbers. We have found this out by doing dyno tests in stages and typically there is a loss of power when the intake is first installed. Over time the ECU will readapt to the increased airflow and the vehicle will make power. The dyno used at aFe is a mustang MD250 dyno.

Dyno results can be skewed by first running the aftermarket intake system and immediately dynoing the vehicle with the stock system. This results in an overly rich situation which results in invalid numbers.

If the car is doing 100mph on the dyno and your fan blows at 10-15 mph do you think the fan will blow enough air through the grills to provide enough airflow for that engine? The answer is NO. Unless you have a wind tunnel dyno which most dynos do not have, the hood should be left open to allow for enough airflow. That is why we dyno the vehicles with the hoods open to allow for sufficient airflow under the hood.

I would like to defend the company and vendors that work with aFe. You will always have other competitors testing our products differently than aFe. I am not on here to argue with anyone just stating the facts about how we come up with our dyno tests. If there are valid questions I will answer them to the best of my ability.
ok regardless of the power..why are people getting check engine lights with the AFE?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='692924' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:10 PM
ok regardless of the power..why are people getting check engine lights with the AFE?
I have AFe (for 3 months) and never got a Check Engine lights.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i Monaco Blue

Paying money for less HP Its the end of the world.
AFE should refund all you guys :thumbsdown:
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

I'm willing to give AFE a chance before we totally start bashing them to prove to us that we did not lose HP or even stay the same.. I want to see some kind of gain.

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi