E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by afeengineer' post='692880' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:23 AM
I want to introduce myself on this forum. I am the air intakes program manager for aFe. In reading this thread I have noticed several issues with the validity of the dynos. Back to back dyno tests do not show the true gains on the vehicle. At aFe we allow 200-500 miles on the vehicle with the intake on before finalizing our dyno numbers. We have found this out by doing dyno tests in stages and typically there is a loss of power when the intake is first installed. Over time the ECU will readapt to the increased airflow and the vehicle will make power. The dyno used at aFe is a mustang MD250 dyno.

Dyno results can be skewed by first running the aftermarket intake system and immediately dynoing the vehicle with the stock system. This results in an overly rich situation which results in invalid numbers.

If the car is doing 100mph on the dyno and your fan blows at 10-15 mph do you think the fan will blow enough air through the grills to provide enough airflow for that engine? The answer is NO. Unless you have a wind tunnel dyno which most dynos do not have, the hood should be left open to allow for enough airflow. That is why we dyno the vehicles with the hoods open to allow for sufficient airflow under the hood.

I would like to defend the company and vendors that work with aFe. You will always have other competitors testing our products differently than aFe. I am not on here to argue with anyone just stating the facts about how we come up with our dyno tests. If there are valid questions I will answer them to the best of my ability.
Thanks for joining the discussion. We obvioulsly have disagreements........about testing methods, but we both agree on the scoops right? As you have copied our idea and are now making scoops. We dynod Icemans car and he has had the AFE intake for over a year? As soon as we put the stock one back on, the power came up. How can the ecu adjustment be explained? As for airflow, we use the Patterson 30" fan which is 1hp and moves 12k cfm simulating 70mph winds at 8ft from the car. There is plenty of airflow as we can see gains on other products. Looking at the set up though, how is airflow getting to the filters? On the E60, the intake openings are sideways behind the kidney grills. Something would have to deter the airflow 90 degrees into the air ducting.

As for testing methods, yes, while dynoing an M5 with your intake we did see a peak 2whp gain. We just believe its an accurate way of testing products.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='693147' date='Oct 14 2008, 03:46 PM
My point exactly! Can we get the straight scoop. Now Trinity wants to sell some red scoop. What the hell's a red scoop??? I don't mind spending $$$ on mods, but come on now.
I think you're referring to the RPI Ram Air Scoops. They make them for the M5/M6 and had proven dyno gains from 10rwhp up to 22rwhp. Very low cost mod with a design that's so simple that it's pretty ingenius.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='693165' date='Oct 14 2008, 04:03 PM
I think you're referring to the RPI Ram Air Scoops. They make them for the M5/M6 and had proven dyno gains from 10rwhp up to 22rwhp. Very low cost mod with a design that's so simple that it's pretty ingenius.
I cant wait for the challenge. First Amedeli's car now an AFE car???
Old 10-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='693141' date='Oct 14 2008, 05:41 PM
I got the aFe from Trinity and added it to a B&B "Triflow" exhust. Everything 'feels' more powerful, especially if I put that sucker in DS mode but I've never dyno'ed the car. After both were installed, I had DSC activate for the first time ever just leaving my driveway, but still, more money (vs K&N) for less horsepower? Wha fa duck?
+1

My setup is defintely faster than original. First I installed my rdsport quads, then sprintbooster, and finally afe cai.
My car felt alot more faster and responsive after the afe cai was dropped in.

I have been driving my car pretty hard lately to see if it feels sluggish at any gear and rpm range.
I feel no probably.

I may want to look into sealing up my afe cai to stop sucking up hot air from the engine.
And maybe adding a RPI scoop To maximize air flow to the cai....
Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributors

So when are we going to get volunteers for this challenge. We need another video for youtube.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='693239' date='Oct 14 2008, 06:03 PM
So when are we going to get volunteers for this challenge. We need another video for youtube.

Yeah good idea. if you win I will shut up myself and replace to Stock for sure.

Maybe AFE + RPI Scoops would work?

Believe me or not...Honestly my car is more powerful than the stock (obviously I didn't run Dyno but when I go highways it goes much more faster. I don't know why some don't. Is is due for the cold climates like Canada? but yeah in summer days or hot days above 25C / 75C the car feels slower (I admit it then I installed the heat shields or insulators and it changes a lot).
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='693215' date='Oct 14 2008, 05:36 PM
I may want to look into sealing up my afe cai to stop sucking up hot air from the engine.
And maybe adding a RPI scoop To maximize air flow to the cai....

Yeah, I have done it with insulators it works. Have a try and they are not expensive (about $4 the roll)
Old 10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='693239' date='Oct 14 2008, 05:03 PM
I would but I have a remap. same goes for John alpinewhite. we were actually just discussing about this as well.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

aFe engineer...where are you??????
Old 10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i know the problem for all this SHxx...

the aFe engineers just hired "TONY"(QUAD-M) GUY...and he came with a new conception about how to do business with stupid people like me ....from this e60 forum...for another 300$$ throw on the window (throw 3300$$ before for tony) .... because of the credibility that i give to this people who sell stuff here.....

anyway if someone can help me to get my money back...

best REGARDS

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi