E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Cartmanizm
Just wanted to put in a good word for Patryk in helping me out with a successful CIC retrofit. He was more than happy to spend extra time fixing up a additional issues that I had and was extremely patient and professional throughout the entire coding session (my wifi would keep cutting on and off which was annoying to say the least).

I have the HiFi option in my vehicle (2007 530i LCI) so I had to do the woofer fix with the whole jump-wiring of a few cables. Prior to the CIC retrofit, I had installed a set of BSW speaker (4 sets of midranges/tweeters) into the vehicle and it sounded fantastic for the price. Now my problem is now even after the wiring fix, is that my rear speakers would have a very profound bass and there would be no clarity at all (if I shifted the sound fader all the way to the rear). If I shifted the sound to just come out of the front, then the clarity and treble is present, however there is no bass presence at all. The only way I can come to a temporary fix is to shift the fader a few dials to the rear to sort of "balance" this out a bit.

What can I do to fix this issue? Sound is a very important aspect for me and how it is currently just doesn't sound right.

[edit] Is there some sort of a OEM sub with the HiFi option? I seem to feel a low rumble in the rear flooring but can't seem to find the source!
Those with the Hi-Fi (US standard) sound get hit the hardest when they upgrade to the CIC. First of all, are you absolutely sure that your car is coded for Hi-Fi and not Standard. Next the biggest problem you have now are those BSW speakers. They need to be driven hard to sound good. What has changed is that in the Hi-Fi option the CIC is outputting only low outputs. You have no option but to add a new 6 channel amp. Read my post few above to see how I solved this.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Just wanted to put in a good word for Patryk in helping me out with a successful CIC retrofit. He was more than happy to spend extra time fixing up a additional issues that I had and was extremely patient and professional throughout the entire coding session (my wifi would keep cutting on and off which was annoying to say the least).

I have the HiFi option in my vehicle (2007 530i LCI) so I had to do the woofer fix with the whole jump-wiring of a few cables. Prior to the CIC retrofit, I had installed a set of BSW speaker (4 sets of midranges/tweeters) into the vehicle and it sounded fantastic for the price. Now my problem is now even after the wiring fix, is that my rear speakers would have a very profound bass and there would be no clarity at all (if I shifted the sound fader all the way to the rear). If I shifted the sound to just come out of the front, then the clarity and treble is present, however there is no bass presence at all. The only way I can come to a temporary fix is to shift the fader a few dials to the rear to sort of "balance" this out a bit.

What can I do to fix this issue? Sound is a very important aspect for me and how it is currently just doesn't sound right.

[edit] Is there some sort of a OEM sub with the HiFi option? I seem to feel a low rumble in the rear flooring but can't seem to find the source!
Those with the Hi-Fi (US standard) sound get hit the hardest when they upgrade to the CIC. First of all, are you absolutely sure that your car is coded for Hi-Fi and not Standard. Next the biggest problem you have now are those BSW speakers. They need to be driven hard to sound good. What has changed is that in the Hi-Fi option the CIC is outputting only low outputs. You have no option but to add a new 6 channel amp. Read my post few above to see how I solved this.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52N

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I'm pretty sure that it is. I'm in Australia and Patryk said he double checked my VIN and confirmed it to be Hi-Fi. However here it is again if you want to double confirm it:
WBANU92000CU35639

I've checked the car itself and can find the front 2 pairs of midrange & tweeters in the door, 2 pairs of midrange & tweeters in the rear, 2 under the seat subs (or so I believe, this total 10 speakers right which if HiFi?), and the place in the dash for the center speaker (however no speaker is present, there is a cable though which seems to plug into an empty housing, can we make use of this at all?).

Now I've contacted BSW and they say that their plug n play amplifier isn't far off from release. Would it be best to wait for them or would an alternative aftermarket option be more suitable? In the meantime though I will look into the temporary fix that you have posted.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Contributors

The BSW plug and play amplifier is not going to do you much good. Your configuration is not something they will support. After a CIC retrofit the wiring in the car is now incorrect for the configuration. You have two options.
1. Forget about the under floor subs. Get the car recoded for Stereo.
2. Add 6 channels of amplification and depending on how you do it, a whole lot of rewiring.

So unfortunately to have to think about what you want to do carefully. Also I don't doubt you have Hi-Fi, why question was more related to "Has the car been coded for Hi-Fi"?

This is why I mentioned this as a very important step for all those who have the Hi-Fi option. L7 and EU Std are not affected.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by marksim
Hi, i am interested as well. can u share your source for it? Includes the idrive bezel?
Yes, everything from here
http://www.bavaria-access.de/Umbau.html
The boys can as easily make all!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Contributors

I'm pretty sure that it is. I'm in Australia and Patryk said he double checked my VIN and confirmed it to be Hi-Fi. However here it is again if you want to double confirm it:
WBANU92000CU35639

I've checked the car itself and can find the front 2 pairs of midrange & tweeters in the door, 2 pairs of midrange & tweeters in the rear, 2 under the seat subs (or so I believe, this total 10 speakers right which if HiFi?), and the place in the dash for the center speaker (however no speaker is present, there is a cable though which seems to plug into an empty housing, can we make use of this at all?).

Now I've contacted BSW and they say that their plug n play amplifier isn't far off from release. Would it be best to wait for them or would an alternative aftermarket option be more suitable? In the meantime though I will look into the temporary fix that you have posted.
I can confirm this CIC is coded for the HiFi option.

The car spec includes the following option:
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
Old 03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by nelson29
Russ @ Octave just finish installing the controller for me, he also installed the SAT shifter refrofit
I guess you must have had the mechanical linkage gearshift in the 2005 car; how did you manage to get the lci SAT option installed?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Members

Quick question on the USB music import function.

Is there a way to sort the imported folders alphabetically?

What I do is this:

Save say 1 album (say 10 songs) on a thumbdrive, and import. I get "USB 1" or something, and then I rename the USB 1 to the album name. In this way, all my albums are at the top level of the music collection, rather than having to click USB 1 and then the album folder then the song.

Trouble is, the sorting goes by "date imported", rather than alphabetically, which makes searching somewhat troublesome.

Any advice or inputs will be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52N

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
The BSW plug and play amplifier is not going to do you much good. Your configuration is not something they will support. After a CIC retrofit the wiring in the car is now incorrect for the configuration. You have two options.
1. Forget about the under floor subs. Get the car recoded for Stereo.
2. Add 6 channels of amplification and depending on how you do it, a whole lot of rewiring.

So unfortunately to have to think about what you want to do carefully. Also I don't doubt you have Hi-Fi, why question was more related to "Has the car been coded for Hi-Fi"?

This is why I mentioned this as a very important step for all those who have the Hi-Fi option. L7 and EU Std are not affected.

Originally Posted by Patrys
I can confirm this CIC is coded for the HiFi option.

The car spec includes the following option:
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
Thanks Patrys for the extra confirmation. Now Since I've already got these speakers, I don't want them to be underpowered and laid to waste (I was planning on getting the BSW amp upon release anyway). The only practical option I have here is to go for option 2, which is to get the 6 channels of amplification that you have suggested. Now having said that, I'm happy and willing to do the re-wiring and so forth myself as thats not too difficult but the hard thing is that I don't know which cables belong to what (as I simply following the re-wiring instructions for the HiFi fix).

So now I have 2 problems, what amp to buy and how to do the wiring? I don't really have a budget in mind but anywhere up to around $1000 is good. Can be a bit more if necessary but don't want to overkill the BSW speakers. Speaking of which, how good are the BSW speakers? I got them for its convenience in installation, and I was pretty happy for the price I paid but how do they compare to the rest? Is it better that I sell them off and get a completely different set?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Contributors

BSW is absolutely rubbish. If you are willing to change the sound now is the time to do it.

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG