E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Now put everything back together. You should once again have functional woofers under your seats and a more balanced sound throughout the car. Easy as pie.

Thanks again Patryk and Technic for all the great info!!! Hopefully other members will also find it useful. (Don't forget to read my words of caution in the first post before you do this).
Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I don't know if this helps or not but on the E60 you need to code the CCC for Hi-Fi before it outputs a low signal on the Hi-Fi out. Are you sure your CIC was coded for Hi-Fi and not just normal EU sound?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I don't know if this helps or not but on the E60 you need to code the CCC for Hi-Fi before it outputs a low signal on the Hi-Fi out. Are you sure your CIC was coded for Hi-Fi and not just normal EU sound?
Yes, I am sure it is coded correctly. The amp in the HiFi system has been wired in a different way since the CIC was introduced.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Members

This worked for me too. Unfortunately I had to cut a wire as it go stuck in the connector.

Did you guys answer if we will have to put the old MASK in to take the car in for service?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

Gentlemen,

Would the wiring still need to be modded when the CIC was installed into a car with the logic7 sound system? As far as I understand, the head unit (ccc, mask or cic) sends the audio signal via the most loop to the amplifier in the trunk. Audio outputs from the head unit are not used. Am I correct?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by henny
Gentlemen,

Would the wiring still need to be modded when the CIC was installed into a car with the logic7 sound system? As far as I understand, the head unit (ccc, mask or cic) sends the audio signal via the most loop to the amplifier in the trunk. Audio outputs from the head unit are not used. Am I correct?

Thanks
There is no issue with Logic7 (Top HiFi, option SA677). This fix is just for the HiFi sound system (option SA676).
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Did you guys answer if we will have to put the old MASK in to take the car in for service?
Jhorn70,
In most instances and depending on the type of service required, you can leave your new CIC unit in the vehicle when taking it to the dealership for oil changes, brakes etc. A swap-out for the old CCC may only be required in instances where you need a module re-programmed etc.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Members

Hi guys,

I followed the topic in silent mode quite a time.
Based on the success stories of retrofitting the CIC I decided to follow the same path and arranged everything with Patryk for my E61 LCI with CCC.
Sadly I've the Hifi-system too and will face the woofer problem after the CIC installation.

Now I'm wondering - as none electronic expert - where lies the challenge of enabling the woofer in a way BMW does it in Hifi-Systems after CIC introduction?
I assume that the basic layout of the sound system will be the same. 8 speakers are connected directly to the CIC unit which amps the signal except of the signal for the 2 woofer which is amplified by a separate amp in the trunk connected by regular wires to the CIC unit, right?
Is the reason because of missing wiring diagrams for CIC with Hifi-system?

After digging that deep into the sound topic I'm thinking of upgrading my current hifi-System for the BMW individual high-end audio or something similar.
Based on readings in German and English forums it is possible and some people did it already - but its quite an effort, mainly due to changing the complete speaker wiring by connecting them to the amp in the trunk, plug the new amp into the MOST and exchanging all speakers.

My question now is - does somebody know whether the new CIC integrated amp differs from the CCC one in terms of output? I've read the CCC had 4*25W (2Ohm).
In case the new CIC built-in amp is much stronger a simple exchange of speakers could also result in a better sound.

Any advice?

br,
Matt
Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Alpina_Matt
Hi guys,

I followed the topic in silent mode quite a time.
Based on the success stories of retrofitting the CIC I decided to follow the same path and arranged everything with Patryk for my E61 LCI with CCC.
Sadly I've the Hifi-system too and will face the woofer problem after the CIC installation.

Now I'm wondering - as none electronic expert - where lies the challenge of enabling the woofer in a way BMW does it in Hifi-Systems after CIC introduction?
I assume that the basic layout of the sound system will be the same. 8 speakers are connected directly to the CIC unit which amps the signal except of the signal for the 2 woofer which is amplified by a separate amp in the trunk connected by regular wires to the CIC unit, right?
Is the reason because of missing wiring diagrams for CIC with Hifi-system?

After digging that deep into the sound topic I'm thinking of upgrading my current hifi-System for the BMW individual high-end audio or something similar.
Based on readings in German and English forums it is possible and some people did it already - but its quite an effort, mainly due to changing the complete speaker wiring by connecting them to the amp in the trunk, plug the new amp into the MOST and exchanging all speakers.

My question now is - does somebody know whether the new CIC integrated amp differs from the CCC one in terms of output? I've read the CCC had 4*25W (2Ohm).
In case the new CIC built-in amp is much stronger a simple exchange of speakers could also result in a better sound.

Any advice?

br,
Matt
The E60 LCI HiFi sound system change here is that the M-ASK/CCC no longer is powering speakers directly or outputs 2 low level/low pass signals into a separate 2-channel OEM amp in the trunk only for the woofers. It now outputs 4 low level, balanced signals into a 6-channel amp in the trunk which in turns powers all the 10-speakers.

The good news about this change is that any sound system upgrade is easier, more efficient, much better and even cheaper than before. This is because there's no need of any summing, signal conversion or de-EQ as required by the "old" HiFi M-ASK/CCC outputs. Therefore you can connect the M-ASK/CCC straight to (balanced-input compatible) amps and speakers if you are not interested in any DSP/equalization.

IMO, the Individual Audio System is only great if you get it from factory and simply do not like/want to do any aftermarket audio upgrade in your car. Since you do not have it from factory an Individual Audio retrofit not only is a waste of money and time, it simply does not sound that great as expected to begin with. I do have the Individual Audio in my 2008 M3 from factory and I recoded my CIC to HiFi to get rid of it and get a better sounding aftermarket setup.

The CIC when outputs full range balanced is the best foundation for a great sounding aftermarket system.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Technic,

I'm guessing that this apply to only CIC equip cars and not all regular LCI cars?

This is indeed awesome news, it's now possible to use every dsp that's in the market and not be limited to select few that can sum channels.

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG