E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux. Output

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got the part from my dealership and was very happy and excited about it, especially because I got English installation instructions to post on this forum -- until on the way home I got rear ended by a flat bed truck and the car is terribly damaged, won't have a car for at least 2 month, if this one can be repaired. (Posted more information in a different thread, "My Baby Just Got Smashed"). Won't get the part installed for a while now... ;-(

Anyway, I got the part (65 12 0 153 502) and looking at the German installation instructions, it matches those completely. Being originally from Germany, I can compare both instructions easily. The box for the part has a big yellow sticker that says "Attention, This retrofit kit does not contain any installation instructions: see EPC-CD or Aftersales Assistance Portal (ASAP). Print out the installation instructions and give them to the customer."

Well, the dealer had some trouble printing the instructions. They were not on their CD (probably too new), and then had difficulty bringing up Adobe and/or sending to the printer. They tried for a while and eventually printed out the document. I have scanned it back in and the PDF is attached. Unfortunately, these English instructions, while they clearly apply to this part number, are intended for E46, E39, E53, and only for those cars with "SA 602/609/661+650 from 09/02". Since the guys at the part shop had already struggled so much to get anything printed, and I did not notice it right away, I did not go back to ask if there is a different doc for the E60 (I did say initially that it was for an E60). Anyway, this may be better than nothing, because they are practically identical: the instructions for the E39/E53 cars with "SA 661+650 only" match those in the German instructions for the E60 very closely -- most of it is concerned with installing the connector in the glove compartment anyway, and since the part comes completely assembled, there is no splicing in of wires as the (German) document describes. BUT, the circuit diagram on the last page has different pins in the German (E60) document than the three for the other cars in the English instructions.

The only difference in the final section, "6. Concluding work and coding" is that instead of pressing the "MODE" button several times until AUX appears, the German instructions say to
- go into Entertainment, turn the knob to the right and select "AUX" and press down
That's all, the rest is equivalent in both documents.

I hope this sheds some additional light... If anyone can dig up the correct English installation instructions for an E60, that will put all dealer denials to rest.

In case the document numbers at the bottom are hard to read because of the canning: the installation instruction number is No. 01 29 0 153 504, issued 03/2003, whereas the German ones were EBA-Nr. 01 29 0 395 827 issued 8/2004.

--Peter
(now without BMW for months ;-( )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AuxInEngE39.pdf (648.5 KB, 632 views)
Old 10-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.
Smile

Thanks for all this help! (And am really sorry to hear about your baby... UGH!)

I practically ran to my dealer this morning with these instructions and the part number. They called BMWUS in NJ where the cars come into the US, and were told:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"This will NOT work with the E60. Those instructions are for the 2002-2003 5-Series. The US does not have approval for this installation."</span>

I think I am going to order it myself and try to do the work myself. Hate to rip out a 1 week old dash, but it seems BMW isn't going to help me!
Old 10-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got the part and installed the plug drilling a hole in the little cubby above the DSC button.

I had to file down a notch in the connecter to get in to fit into the larger harness going into the CCC system. There is a open hole there and this plug will ultimately fit.

However, although I have 13.3 upgrade the aux. connector is not recognized. Def. not plug and play.

I did not take pictures of the install but relatively simple. I will post a picture of the finished installationometime tommorrow.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:47 AM
Members

Did you check if the wires are connected to the right pins in the plug (compared to the circuit diagram in the German instructions)?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Gee, if you had to file down a notch, maybe the part isn't designed to fit our radio. And if the system isn't recognizing the attachment, I'm beginning to wonder...

Did you have to remove pieces of the dashboard to get into this, or can you 'reach around' to get in there?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Also - did you disconnect the battery to do the work? Maybe the system has to reset (restart) to recognize it?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='Oct 29 2004, 02:57 PM
From what Im reading, it doesnt call for reprogram. Says after the install is complete, push the MODE button until AUX appears.
[snapback]50654[/snapback]
In the German installation guide it clearly states that a reprogramming is needed...

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Oct 29 2004, 09:06 PM
In E60, there is no MODE button. It's only in E39, so programming is needed.
[snapback]50781[/snapback]
yep...

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Oct 29 2004, 11:45 PM
Iceman: Indeed. That's what I told them - the TIS document clearly states E60. However the dealer showed me an older or different version of the document which stated it being available for E39 up until 09/2002, and used it as an argument for it not being available to E60 - and said that this was probably a kit made for the US market, and thus wouldn't work on European/Norwegian models (bovine scatology! )
[snapback]50855[/snapback]

What a crappy dealer...

Originally Posted by tcumbo' date='Oct 30 2004, 07:29 PM
I practically ran to my dealer this morning with these instructions and the part number. They called BMWUS in NJ where the cars come into the US, and were told:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"This will NOT work with the E60. Those instructions are for the 2002-2003 5-Series. The US does not have approval for this installation."</span>
[snapback]51114[/snapback]
Can you tell that paasan's dealer, who believes it ONLY works on US E60's...
Old 10-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Members

So to make it clear, what is the correct part # and software version to work on the E60?
Old 11-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stormace' date='Nov 1 2004, 01:35 AM
So to make it clear, what is the correct part # and software version to work on the E60?
[snapback]51707[/snapback]
The part has arrived at my dealer and I'm going in Thursday November 4 for the install. Is there any reason to believe that it will not work with software version 13.3?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

It will work.
My dealer is doing the install on mine while I'm here on HI.
Others allready have it in their cars. This AUX-in works.

Quick Reply: Aux. Output