E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux. Output

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

That should be "line in" like in Your home stereos have. So it's as good as input what you put in. If you put speaker/headset out, quality is poor. If you connect line signal in sound is better.

This is how it SHOULD be.

Skaffa
Old 10-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='Oct 29 2004, 07:36 AM
Good work, bmwpartsguy. Nice contribution. Is there any work around for us dumb barstards that ordered NAV in the US? :'(
[snapback]50669[/snapback]
Doesnt matter if you have nav. Just that you have a single cd player in the dash and NOT a cassette. How many of you actually got the cassette player???????
[snapback]50676[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have the CD changer in the glove box. Can the AUX be installed?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Oct 29 2004, 06:26 PM
That should be "line in" like in Your home stereos have. So it's as good as input what you put in. If you put speaker/headset out, quality is poor. If you connect line signal in sound is better.

Skaffa
[snapback]50734[/snapback]
Agree, I hope this is how it "should" be as well...sorry to drag on, but let me put it logically.
I am no audio expert, just having a discussion regarding the audio quality.

If I were to install this I would want very good sound quality. Didn't pay all that money for 7.1 DSP Logic 7 just listen to analogue quality music.
Is there anyone first of all who has an experience with an ipod and aux? How is the quality...not relative, but compared to the cd playing of the E60 audio.

1. There is no doubt that when playing a CD in our cars, Logic 7 will play it "natively" in digital form. This means the signal extracted from the bits and bytes off the CD are directly transformed, amplified by Logic 7 ( or non Logic 7 )
and played digitally. ie. full cd quality and when Logic 7 does it's magic even better!! mp3 capability will do exactly the same, with the difference that digital transfer of music is less ( kbps ) - but still very good, so good that maybe you can't tell the difference! although it is present.

2. Is the aux input we are talking about in the E60 a digital connection?
Does Logic 7 amplify it directly digitally - or is it analogue then converted to digital? and does the setup modes of " concert, theatre, etc" , equalizer, all have an impact?

Some people might know on the back of their computers installed with a
Soundblaster card, there are several mini jacks. One is your usual mic, the other
speaker output, another line in and yet another digital in. Yes, all have the basic
min jack. However, only one is digital. "Line in" is still analogue. Doesn't matter if you connect something digital to it..the signal is still analogue no matter how hard you try!! It is converted in digital and then played. Obviously with a signal deterioration. Obviously we need to establish what type of signal out the ipod's got, what connection is the aux in of the E60, and is the Logic 7 treating it "equally" as the other modes?

For me the question is : Can the sound quality of the aux/ipod setup hold a candle in terms of sound quality to the future mp3 capability of the Logic 7 ? If it is good,
that's great, then it is a question whether you would like 1000 songs with you or
over 5000!! Even disregarding the quality issue - if mp3 capability is in fact coming, 1000 songs is an overkill for me both in terms of capacity and choice.

Wow...what did I start?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Oct 29 2004, 12:41 PM
[quote name='skaffa' date='Oct 29 2004, 06:26 PM']That should be "line in" like in Your home stereos have. So it's as good as input what you put in. If you put speaker/headset out, quality is poor. If you connect line signal in sound is better.

Skaffa
[snapback]50734[/snapback]
Agree, I hope this is how it "should" be as well...sorry to drag on, but let me put it logically.

If I were to install this I would want very good sound quality. Didn't pay all that money for 7.1 DSP Logic 7 just listen to analogue quality music.
Is there anyone first of all who has an experience with an ipod and aux? How is the quality...not relative, but compared to the cd playing of the E60 audio.

1. There is no doubt that when playing a CD in our cars, Logic 7 will play it "natively" in digital form. This means the signal extracted from the bits and bytes off the CD are directly transformed, amplified by Logic 7 ( or non Logic 7 )
and played digitally. ie. full cd quality and when Logic 7 does it's magic even better!! mp3 capability will do exactly the same, with the difference that digital transfer of music is less ( kbps ) - but still very good, so good that maybe you can't tell the difference! although it is present.

Does Logic 7 amplify it directly digitally - or is it analogue then converted to digital? and does the setup modes of " concert, theatre, etc" , equalizer, all have an impact?

Some people might know on the back of their computers installed with a
Soundblaster card, there are several mini jacks. One is your usual mic, the other
speaker output, another line in and yet another digital in. Yes, all have the basic
min jack. However, only one is digital. "Line in" is still analogue. Doesn't matter if you connect something digital to it..the signal is still analogue no matter how hard you try!! It is converted in digital and then played. Obviously with a signal deterioration. Obviously we need to establish what type of signal out the ipod's got, what connection is the aux in of the E60, and is the Logic 7 treating it "equally" as the other modes?

For me the question is : Can the sound quality of the aux/ipod setup hold a candle in terms of sound quality to the future mp3 capability of the Logic 7 ? If it is good,
that's great, then it is a question whether you would like 1000 songs with you or
over 5000!! Even disregarding the quality issue - if mp3 capability is in fact coming, 1000 songs is an overkill for me both in terms of capacity and choice.

Wow...what did I start?
[snapback]50759[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, the iPod line out is analg. And the Aux in feature of the E60 is analog. But even the audio CD data and MP3 CDs are on their way converted to analog signal before reaching the amplifiers. But of cause, if logic 7 only is treating digital input you will loose that feature using AUX in or Radio source, i guess...?

But having installed the AUX in and using the line out on my iPod I find the sound beeing good enough...
Old 10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by tedmundson' date='Oct 29 2004, 11:39 AM
BMWPARTSGUY Where are you located?
[snapback]50703[/snapback]
KY
Old 10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='Oct 29 2004, 06:57 AM
Here's what i come up with.

5 series Sedan from 9/02 production on. Vehicles WITHOUT nav must have single in dash CD, NOT CASSETTE.

Aux Input Kit? 82 11 0 149 390
Install Kit with nav? 82 11 0 149 391
Install kit w/o nav? 82 11 0 149 389

Calls for radio removal and glove box removal. half hour labor time. From what Im reading, it doesnt call for reprogram. Says after the install is complete, push the MODE button until AUX appears.
[snapback]50654[/snapback]
BMWPartsGuy,

In E60, there is no MODE button. It's only in E39, so programming is needed.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the part number should be 65 12 0 153 502. Can you look into that BMWpartsguy?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Oct 29 2004, 03:14 PM
I think the part number should be 65 12 0 153 502. Can you look into that BMWpartsguy?

Thanks
[snapback]50783[/snapback]
502 looks to be the right choice.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Iceman: Indeed. That's what I told them - the TIS document clearly states E60. However the dealer showed me an older or different version of the document which stated it being available for E39 up until 09/2002, and used it as an argument for it not being available to E60 - and said that this was probably a kit made for the US market, and thus wouldn't work on European/Norwegian models (bovine scatology! )

As far as I can tell the dealer isn't the one behaving oddly in this case - it seems to be BMW Norway, as the dealer had emailed them about this specific issue. Now I'll have to find some way to convince the dealer into "investigating" the matter further - I'd really love to get my Nomad Zen working in the car.

The part numer you people have used for the kit is 061 0115 Z ?
I'll try getting the dealer checking out this specific number.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:41 PM

? ? Does Logic 7 amplify it directly digitally - or is it analogue then converted to digital?? and does the setup modes of " concert, theatre, etc" , equalizer,? all have an impact?

over 5000!!? ? Even disregarding the quality issue - if mp3 capability is in fact coming, 1000 songs is an overkill for me both in terms of capacity and choice.

Wow...what did I start?
[snapback]50759[/snapback]

This DDD (Digitally recorded, mastered and printed) and played is going to be argued for ever. Some audiophilies swear that analog is always better, warmer. If You have good quality aux source one extra D/A A/D conversion does not deteriorate sound. Albeit I don't believe that even Logic7 amplifies bit stream digitally, but makes first D/A conversion and then amplifies it. So, mp3 -> DA conversion -> line out -> aux. in -> amplifier -> to speakers.

This is not digital input, but normal analog line input. There is not so many portable equipment which have digital output. Look 1. Those space effects I can't say.

To Your question only reliable answer can be given some of those who already have aux in installed. But I would say that it don't make difference if You connect mp3 to Your home amp or e60 aux in. Question is then."How good is Your media where Your music is?"

Skaffa

Quick Reply: Aux. Output