E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What you don't like on your E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by bighersh
I've been impressed with ours. Ride wise, handling, and all of that- it feels great. But it's in the shop... again.

Second time in 18 months, and while I guess that's not bad- it's not that good either. I've got an 11 year-old Ford truck in the garage right now, that didn't make any unscheduled pit stops in it's first 8 years (not even for a battery) between zero and 94,000 miles.

I would expect BMW to exceed that performance.

I have a friend that used to work in the BMW call center, and she said after that experience, she'd never own a BMW. Me personally, I don't want to be without one... at least not right now. I'll let you know once I get this latest repair bill- I might take it and trade it on a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L w/NAV.

HAHAHA We did that a few months ago, got the wife a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav, every option. Can't really go wrong with a Honda.

that said, taking the word of someone who worked in the call center is kind of silly. Who ever calls support to say "hey, your product is great, never had an issue with your product" - no one does that, all the call center people ever hear is the complaints, so they are probably the most jaded of anyone.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree about the cupholders, and sunglasses storage...I don't think I have ever owned a vehicle that didn't have a sunglases holder..for a $50k+ car, not having it is kinda lame..

My only real complaint is the engine, after driving the 535, it's just sad..
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Transmission sucks big time, can't come to a smooth stop and BMW can't fix the problem. The jerk right before complete stop has to be the biggest pain in the ass.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yes... the cup holders. They've got to be the worst designed ever in any vehicle.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by kreveta
....Yes, especially on the M-steering wheel :thumbsdown:
Well, if what you are referring to is the sort of Y shaped cover on the lower half of the steering wheel hub where there is a matte, black rubbery surface. then I second the complaint. Had to replace mine which was just 2 years old!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yes... the cup holders. They've got to be the worst designed ever in any vehicle.
I disagree. They are sturdy and do the job. Have you seen the rear cup holders in the e39? utter crap and not in any way comparable to the E60's very functional cupholders. My wife has a Fiat Grande Punto and if you want to talk about worthless cupholders... Couldnt fit a shot-glass in those. Audi has something similar in the new A4 and if I recall correctly, with only space for 1 shot-glass so ours really isnt bad!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

1. Overall reliability and service quality at a stealer. :thumbsdown: Every time I visit a BMW stealer I feel I deal with some fu..ng crooks with their hands growing out of their stupid asses.
2. Trunk lid - crap, it belongs to a $10K car. Squeaks, plus I always hit that idiotic facing outside lock with my head when reaching something - looks like designed by a drunk student.
3. Transmission - jerky-kicky, not sure is it by design or it's on its way out (at just 60K ?!!).
4. 19" wheels with sport suspension on 550. This setup does not belong to an everyday luxury car, way too much vibrations on US roads.
5. Not enough leg space in front due to short steering wheel telescoping range.
6. Not height adjustable front belts??!! That's just safety hazard.
7. Gaps between head lights and the M-bumper almost an inch wide. On almost $70K car, are you kidding me??!
8. Interior vibrates like in some f..g truck while waiting at a stop light - I guess engine mounts are gone (stealer will not tell that while under warranty ), again at just 60K miles??!

My first and last BMW, period. And most likely my third and last German car.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
AJH
Members

530d se:

Cheap black plasticy looking heater controls

Crap exhaust manifold (It cracks)

Temperature gauge needed

EGR system clogs the inlet manifold with oily/carbon deposits

Three fuse holders?

Crap satnav (after using a tomtom)

Generally love my car though and I can even handle the other drivers who think your a tosser cause you drive a BMW
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I disagree. They are sturdy and do the job. Have you seen the rear cup holders in the e39? utter crap and not in any way comparable to the E60's very functional cupholders. My wife has a Fiat Grande Punto and if you want to talk about worthless cupholders... Couldnt fit a shot-glass in those. Audi has something similar in the new A4 and if I recall correctly, with only space for 1 shot-glass so ours really isnt bad!
In America most cups beyond medium sized will not fit into these cup holders. I have had drinks fell out when I make turns because of the cup holders. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

no temp gauge

It bugged me too, but I realized the temperature gauge is completely useless. The water temperature in the cooling system doesn't say anything about the engine. What's important is the oil temperature (takes more time to reach the optimal temp.). Only M5 has an oil temperature meter. There's a workaround to find out whether your oil is in the optimal range. Check Oil level in iDrive service settings. If the computer can't read the level, it means it's not hot enough yet.

As a old tech when I smell (coolant) or feel something (heat) I like to be able to quickly look at the gauge to see, for example if the motor is warmer than it was. How accurate it is is not important as being able to note the change.

Needing to double pump the door handle to get out...
Are you referring to the auto-lock when driving off, or do you lock the inside manually with the dash button? You can't be locked or have auto-lock on and open the door with one pump. Doesn't make sense. What would be the lock for then? You can also turn off auto-lock in iDrive settings to open the door with one pump.

I don't like the fact that double pumping to open the drivers door does not unlock the other doors. By the time I go to the other side to open the door for my daughter, my key is already in my pocket. Not like I can ask her to unlock or double pump the door handle. Leaving the doors unlock is not a option either as I don't want my daughter to accidentally open the door. When I open the driver's door on my Mercedes the other doors unlock too. This feature can be programed in the Mercedes, it cannot in the BMW. Having such a nice feature like this on the Mercedes makes you want more in the BMW. You don't realize how wonderful this feature is until you have a child or have to open another door after getting out..

Quick Reply: What you don't like on your E60