E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What you don't like on your E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
OMG, I am SOOOOOO happy to hear you say this. I thought it was just me. My current 528i and a 535i without the sport package has AMPLE room between the wheel and my legs, but the 535i with sport package I am looking at buying has like 1/2 the travel..WTF is up with that? Why?
I also thought it's just me. The entry is more difficult for me - once you get in, you have to align your ass to the seat somewhat with difficulties. Just not enough space for legs (even when the steering wheel is at its topmost position), but I don't know what causes that. In my E46 I had absolutely no problems entering the car. It can't be just me because I'm the second owner and my very soft Merino individual leather is exactly wrinked on the place where it just shows how hard you have to extend it on each entry.

Note that I'm actually slim and average height. Something is wrong with the wheel.
Old 01-18-2011 | 12:14 PM
Senior Members

oops, double post again
Old 01-18-2011 | 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kreveta
I also thought it's just me. The entry is more difficult for me - once you get in, you have to align your ass to the seat somewhat with difficulties. Just not enough space for legs (even when the steering wheel is at its topmost position), but I don't know what causes that. In my E46 I had absolutely no problems entering the car. It can't be just me because I'm the second owner and my very soft Merino individual leather is exactly wrinked on the place where it just shows how hard you have to extend it on each entry.

Note that I'm actually slim and average height. Something is wrong with the wheel.
I reported this to the Service folks and they "said" they measured the distance of the bottom of the wheel to the floor on an existing 535 with sport and it was the same. What I can't understand is why the sport package requires decreasing the travel that every other vehicle currently has? In my current 528i, I swear the wheel can move 5-6 inches up and down, and the 535 with sport moved MAYBE 3 inches total vertical travel..Would love to understand why this is necessary with the sport package.
Old 01-18-2011 | 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi

Originally Posted by healthservices
As your motor warms up the red lines changes, but not it does not indicate when the car is overly warm or overheating.

Attachment 116535
I see this in my tach but it is always showing three-stripes (bars). I commute ~45 minutes one-way and I see the same three-stripes from when I first start the car in the morning until I arrive at work. Maybe my tach is broken?! But, I have never seen any more or less than three bars regardless of length of drive or style of driving.
Old 01-18-2011 | 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

There's pros and cons.... But all in all I really don't care about either. I'm handy and I know how to handle my situations. If i didn't i wouldn't own this car. For a simpleton, the Honda is much more of a 'car'......in fact I have my simpleton days and I'm looking for an old Corrola or somehting with no power options besides A/C. Or a pickup truck just the same since I like to throw stuff around and haul.

Since I graduated my studies at the Universities and gave up on dreams of helping people with their psychological issues, I've been downgrading (or upgrading depending on your outlook) and the more seasoned I become the more I realize that things aren't always what they seem. BMW has a lot to be desired and has a hold over the minds of consumers in the past 6 yrs. I'm pretty sure BMW will start to unravel themselves by 2015 and be forced into a different market. Again, this depends on consumers. But then again, Bush was re-elected so who knows.
Old 01-18-2011 | 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by pjinca
My biggest complaint is the cupholders, I can't buy coffee at Starbucks anymore because their open lids always spill in my car. Other annoyances are the lack of a temp gauge, lack of an oil pressure gauge, and the far too short list of standard features for a car this price - when even the Kia Spectra comes with an iPod interface, c'mon BMW throw us a bone here
My thoughts exactly!!!

Other than that I love my car, but I will say every time I hear the fricken chime go off I think "WHAT NOW!" even if it is the snowflake telling me its cold outside.
Old 01-18-2011 | 01:16 PM
Members

Have had my new to me 08 550I now for nearly 5 months and 7,000 miles (bought it with 20K on it) and compared to my Audi A8L (05), I have really enjoyed this car. A few things I'm puzzled by like the center consol storage (totally useless), heat/ac at first but think I've got it to a point that I'm ok and then there is the trunk lid that scared the living piss out of me the first time I opened it! But compared to the three sets of hinges on my A8L (that needed replacing) or my trunk wouldn't close this is a no brainer. Make the adjustment on the pistons as suggested and move on.
Other than that, car has been great and by the way, not my first BMW so no Kool Aid yet...
Old 01-18-2011 | 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
As your motor warms up the red lines changes, but not it does not indicate when the car is overly warm or overheating.

Attachment 116535
Hmmm really, so knock on wood my car overheats how would I know??? iDrive??
Old 01-18-2011 | 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Hmmm really, so knock on wood my car overheats how would I know??? iDrive??
yep, you'd get a warning msg too lat to actually do any preventative maint.
Although I think you can manually check engine temp in the iDrive menus too, but that a little hard to do on the highway on a hot day
Old 01-18-2011 | 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by Ben_XI
This license plate trunk handle will help with this issue.
Thank you. Thank you. The trunk is my biggest irritant about my E60. The inside hand holders are good if you want to guillotine your hands at the wrist. I will order one of these right away.

Temperature gauge: Sucks, big time. I have to take off my glasses and peer into the instrument cluster to see it. Unsafe.

Sunglass holder: How about the small leather pocket underneath formed by the telescoping wheel? Works for my cell. Out of sight also.

Quick Reply: What you don't like on your E60